• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly from NJ USA (1 Viewer)

tom baxter

In my ID guide for dragonflies of New Jersey, the only close match having dark wingtips is yellow-sided skimmer, but the abdomen color does not match. The book does not have very many photos and I have that problem often where my subject is a standard variant of the photo provided in my guide. Any confirmation would be great, thank you!

Attachments

• dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 61
Thank you, I have just recently identified a few great blue skimmers that were consistent with the photos in my guide. So that is a good suggestion. I still do not see the extensive dark wing tips though in the photo links you sent above, is that something you have experience with? I will say that this subject was especially large as I recall so I could see it as a possibility.

Hi -- I agree with Great Blue Skimmer -- I've definitely seen females with those black spots at the ends of the wings. Generally I think of the females as being more brown, but I was just looking in the western Paulson guide, and he shows what he identifies as a female Great Blue Skimmer that looks just like the insect in your photo. (Weirdly that photo isn't shown in the eastern Paulson, but anyway.)

Oh that is a great match Martin, that certainly looks right. Thank you guys for the help I probably wouldn't have guessed that from my guide.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back