• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats this then? (1 Viewer)

Richard Ford

BF Member
I have recently had an E-mail from a gentlemen near Rutland who has a strange bird visiting the bird table outside his office window. He has managed to photograph it and I have uploaded the picture below.

I suspect it is defiantly an escape and I suspect it is some kind of Weaver, but apart from that I have no idea.

I am sure someone here can help.
Thanks in advance.

Richard

Attachments

• mystery_bird2_1.jpg
    mystery_bird2_1.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 221
I don't know what it is but it's certainly a pretty looking bird. Definitely an escapee I'd hazard. Now why can't I find something like that in my garde?

One May in about 1979 I saw one of these from about a mile away, on a telegraph ariel... at that range I'd decided that it was a Bee-eater. I started running. At half the range I realised it was smaller than I had first thought and I was thinking maybe Black-headed Bunting... then at 1/4 of a mile I realised it was a weaver.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back