• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now there's a novelty! (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Photographed these two birds today. My guess is that they are Mallard x Shoveler hybrids. Look at the bill on the female - completely bonkers!
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Hybrid Female.jpg
    Hybrid Female.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 361
  • Hybrid Male.jpg
    Hybrid Male.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 353
Chris,

I can see what you mean with the female, I don't think the drake has any Shoveler in it. Why isn't the drake just an 'odd' Mallard with domestic input?

Stephen.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Chris,

I can see what you mean with the female, I don't think the drake has any Shoveler in it. Why isn't the drake just an 'odd' Mallard with domestic input?

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,
it hasn't come out particularly well in this shot, but the bill on the male was also quite a bit more spatulate than would be expected. That, combined with the chestnut flanks and the bird's association with that bonkers female, led me to think that perhaps they had the same parentage.
I don't know, ducks, don't you just hate 'em!

The male just looks like your average "daffy" avalaible in most parks etc , as for the female i'm not sure theres any real hybrid in there.

Yeah, but I didn't keep 'em. Doh!
I'll see if I can get some more tomorrow - not that it matters, Swift has spoken.

Hi CJW,
The male is definitely only mallard with some domestic duck genes, it is one of the commoner colour variants in these birdsin Germany, though not the commonest.
With the female I would like to see some more shots especially of the bill, but my impression is it is just mallard. Did the bill size of the female stand out?

Jörn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back