• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cassin's vs. Western Kingbird (1 Viewer)

With this much grey showing on the breast I would say that it is verticalis (Western Kingbird), but I am lucky that the Couch's shouldn't occur in your zone which would really muck things up. I realize that my explanation may be construed as misleading. I find that generally the vociferans has a darker grey cast to it greyness. Moreover, the white in the vociferans seems to be more restricted in extent and more localized to the malar region and the underchin whereas the verticalis has more white extension in these zones and a tonality of grey on the head and breast that is of a lighter hue.

Last edited:
I would say Western based on the hint of white edging (in the right 3 photos) on the right side of the tail -- bird's right, camera left -- and the lighter throat and bib than Cassin's would have. Cassin's head, throat and bib are the same color medium gray, making the white malar really pop. With this bird all fluffed up and the tail in deep shadow, it's hard to be 100% sure but that would be my first impression. I get Cassin's in our yard all the time (have a mating pair right now), fewer Westerns, and even from 100 yards withOUT binoculars, that white malar stripe of Cassin's against the darker gray is really noticeable.

Again, as with all flycatchers, their calls are completely different. When was your bird photographed?

cuckooroller said:
With this much grey showing on the breast I would say that it is verticalis (Western Kingbird), but I am lucky that the Couch's shouldn't occur in your zone which would really muck things up.
Interesting you mentioned Couch's, Steve, because I had a similar fleeting thought for a couple reasons: On last year's USFS survey, I could (and still do) swear I heard a Couch's kingbird singing (in NE Arizona), but it would have been so far out of range, and without sighting the bird, I never would have been believed. Then, just four days ago, I had a way-out-of-range Dusky-capped Flycatcher in the YARD, for cryin' out loud, a county record I've just been told. So range maps are probably about 4th on my list of priorities for IDing critters with wings. :)

But in looking more closely at Bob's bird, the gray bib ruled out Couch's for me, plus what looks like faint white outer edges to the tail.

Thanks all. I shot these this morning, 6 May. Western is very common here but Cassin's occurs frequently also. I have never been around for someone to point out the differences. This helps.

bob

In my opinion, Cassin's have a darker grayish (almost slate in some) upper breasted compared to Westerns that give the lower breast a higher brighter yellow contrast. They also do not have the white outer tail feathers the Westerns have. I attached a shot of a Cassin's I took in Arizona. Van

Attachments

• CasKb2-small.jpg
    CasKb2-small.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
oldsquaw said:
In my opinion, Cassin's have a darker grayish (almost slate in some) upper breasted compared to Westerns that give the lower breast a higher brighter yellow contrast. They also do not have the white outer tail feathers the Westerns have. I attached a shot of a Cassin's I took in Arizona. Van

Van,

We're in total agreement. In yours, you can see that it is such a darker hue of grey that the white malar spot just jumps out at you as Katy has mentioned.

oldsquaw said:

Yes, I see it now.

Thanks Van

Now it appears that I somehow overlooked a white-winged in a flock of mourning doves. Well, if this were easy I probably wouldn't be doing it.

bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back