• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these Yellowhammers, if so which one is Mum? (1 Viewer)

chris baker

Hi Folks,

These little peaches were merrily chipping away to one another (it seemed) this afternoon. The one on the wire didn't move away at all alas. I'd have liked one on a branch or bush, anyway nice to have one at all. The other seemed oblivious to my presence and jumped around a little, but seemed more intent on shaping up it's appearence, a prelude perhaps to a bit of jiggy jiggy!!! I digress, I think these are yellowhammers(I really should update my Observer Book of Birds, had it since I was 10 and you dont want to know how long I've had it for!

Much obliged for any response

Chris B.

Attachments

• Monday 076 copy crop.jpg
    Monday 076 copy crop.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Monday 085 copy crop.jpg
    Monday 085 copy crop.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Monday 108 crop.jpg
    Monday 108 crop.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 184
  • Monday 115 copy crop.jpg
    Monday 115 copy crop.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 194
Yep! I agree with Andrew. We have one or two aorund as well, though it seems fewer than last year. I always think it's strange how some males are more intensely yellow than others - some positively glow a yellow gold colour!

Thanks for the confirmation, I always thought they were bigger and more yellow than these, but I suppose things alwys seem bigger when you're smaller. I haven't seen a yellow hammer in -- too long.

Thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back