• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Mocking Cliff-Chat? (1 Viewer)

leon

This bird is obviously a baby (from the beak)
The only features I can see is the beak-shape, body-shape, possible black chest.

My guess would be the Immature Mocking Cliff-Chat? (Thamnolaea cinnamomeiventris) I say this due to the blackish chest.

Am i correct?

Attachments

• CRW_1723.jpg
    CRW_1723.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 210
My fieldguide (SASOL guide ver3) only says that the young bird looks like the female. The picture of the female is grey with a black chest, but with a red-brownish tummy. It does not refer to the markings on the chest or back in my picture. Am i missing something obvious?

It it helps I can see a rusty base to the tail in the sort of position a Bluethroat would have red..

Its a chat for sure - it bears a passing resmblance to a Rock Thrush in build

Last edited:
The description of the young African Stonechat in my guide (translated) says the back is dark and has pale yellow spots, and the front is lighter that the adult. Why I have not selected this bird is because the upper chest appears black to me, and extends much lower than just the throat as on the stonechat.

Last edited:
Sorry Jane, I have just red the description of the Cape Rock-Thrush and it appears to fit, allthough the chest still bothers me.

(The back has light yellow marks,a nd the chest feathers have black marks.)

This birds description is a closer fit than the Cliff-chat or stone-chat.

Last edited:
Oops! Deleted my previous thread by mistake, here's a new that should be quite similar:

Certainly not juv. Mocking Cliff-chat; they are nothing but paler versions of the adults (never heavily speckled as your bird).

Almost certainly a Monticola (as stated by Michael & Leon); the species that seems to fit the best is juv. Cape Rock Thrush (M. rupestris). Having said that, it could potentially be a juv. female Short-toed Rock Thrush (M. brevipes). These two species have largely non-overlapping ranges. Presuming the photo was taken in the region where you live again points to Cape Rock Thrush as the most likely. Juv. Sentinel Rock Thrush (M. explorator) is fairly easy to exclude as it has whitish (not buff) spottings on the back.

Leon, exactly where was it seen?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back