• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Identification (1 Viewer)

songbirds

I haven't had a chance to open my field guide, so I figured I'd ask here instead. Can someone tell me what kind of gull this is? The picture was taken toady, on the North shore of Long Island, on the Long Island Sound.
Thanks,
Christine

Attachments

• gull.jpg
    gull.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 398
Ah! A gull I can i.d. Looks to be the great black backed gull. I just added this one to my life list on my last audubon count. They are huge compared to the gulls I am more familiar with. Lovely sea shot Songbirds. What part of the Island are you from?

definitely a greater black backed gull- great sighting songbird and a good photo to boot.
(hey Kc- you're a senior member!! LOL!!)

Thanks everyone! I've been an avid "backyard" bird watcher for over 15 years (hence the nickname songbirds) and feel lost when I see shore birds. I knew that this gull looked quite different from the "regular" gulls I normally see at the beach, so I snapped a picture. He/she was a really nice looking bird. Very proud and majestic looking. KCFoggin, I live in Wading River. Are you from the area? Thanks for the welcome TonyK! Tammie, also a new member, posted a link to this website at one of the NG's I frequent. I'm glad she did. This is such a great birding forum!
~Christine (aka songbirds)

Hi Christine. I'm originally from Staten Island but have many friends out on your Island. :) My son remained in the city. The only other place he would even think about moving to would be to England. Welcome,
K.C.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back