• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (9 Viewers)

Had a really nice, if wet walk around Potteric Carr this afternoon, highlight was 2 Water Rail (1x at the Feeders and 1x Piper Marsh) a Little Egret and a few other nice bits and bobs, managed a photo of the Water Rail on my phone! Further details on blog.

Lots of cool Fungi out at the moment there too! Would have got some pics if if wasn't so wet!!!

Cheers, Andy

Very close views of a Sooty Shearwater on the RSPB cruise yesterday. Also Harbour Porpoise, 10+ Red-throated Divers, 30+ Common Scoter, Sandwich Tern, Arctic Skua, Great Skua etc

"Hells Bells" I tought I was doing ok with 50 (ish) 110 is very impressive,

Moved up to 112 for the year this weekend :t:

I guess I'm quite lucky that there's a wide variety of habitat, albeit in small fragments, within close reach of 'base camp'. It's quite a large area and I cover it in 3-4 walks each visit (2 days, morning+aft/eve) designed to join the dots between all the little places that attract birds. In that respect you could say it's 4 patches in one.

Anyone have Pink-feet moving south this weekend? A flock of c40 went through at dusk on Saturday and then 4 were in a cow pasture yesterday afternoon (see, anything is possible!), presumably downed by the rain.

Poor little sod

Out walking yesterday, near Redmire, we saw this poor little sod at the roadside as we drove to where we were walking from. He was near a recent rabbit road kill and looked as though he'd been hit by a car, maybe as he fed off the carrion.
Not wanting to leave him exposed to anymore danger I picked him up and placed him in a field behind the wall hoping that he may recover.
As we drove home we checked to see, hoping that he had gone/flown.
He was still there so we decided to take him home and hand him to the Vet.
I found a 24hr vet, the Leeds Emergency Vet in Morley (01132 525818 if anyone else needs the same) and took him there last night.
I had to leave him without finding owt out, there was a rush on and the vet was really busy. I rang this a.m. and spoke to a vet who said he had severe head trauma, probably from an impact. They had crop fed him with food and antibiotic and if he recovers sufficiently he will be handed over to a local Wildlife Org. on Wed. She gave him a 50/50 chance...................! So, I'll ring Wed. a.m. and....fingers crossed...good news..?

PS I've got two "lovely" talon marks in my wrist, so he did have/show some resistance to being caught.

PPS Excuse the reference to "he/him" I'm not sure, it just tripped off the keyboard easier.........
Joe

Attachments

• P1000958 copy.jpg
    P1000958 copy.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 138
Out walking yesterday, near Redmire, we saw this poor little sod at the roadside as we drove to where we were walking from. He was near a recent rabbit road kill and looked as though he'd been hit by a car, maybe as he fed off the carrion.
Not wanting to leave him exposed to anymore danger I picked him up and placed him in a field behind the wall hoping that he may recover.
As we drove home we checked to see, hoping that he had gone/flown.
He was still there so we decided to take him home and hand him to the Vet.
I found a 24hr vet, the Leeds Emergency Vet in Morley (01132 525818 if anyone else needs the same) and took him there last night.
I had to leave him without finding owt out, there was a rush on and the vet was really busy. I rang this a.m. and spoke to a vet who said he had severe head trauma, probably from an impact. They had crop fed him with food and antibiotic and if he recovers sufficiently he will be handed over to a local Wildlife Org. on Wed. She gave him a 50/50 chance...................! So, I'll ring Wed. a.m. and....fingers crossed...good news..?

PS I've got two "lovely" talon marks in my wrist, so he did have/show some resistance to being caught.

PPS Excuse the reference to "he/him" I'm not sure, it just tripped off the keyboard easier.........
Joe

Well done on the rescue attempt! I feel sure hes just a road casualty, rather than feeding on carrion.
From experience, dont be gutted if the kindest thing is to put him to sleep.....head trauma could be bad news for this Tawny.

Moved up to 112 for the year this weekend :t:

I guess I'm quite lucky that there's a wide variety of habitat, albeit in small fragments, within close reach of 'base camp'. It's quite a large area and I cover it in 3-4 walks each visit (2 days, morning+aft/eve) designed to join the dots between all the little places that attract birds. In that respect you could say it's 4 patches in one.

Anyone have Pink-feet moving south this weekend? A flock of c40 went through at dusk on Saturday and then 4 were in a cow pasture yesterday afternoon (see, anything is possible!), presumably downed by the rain.

Fantastic, I reached 52 this weekend with Grey Partridge, and Great Spotted Woodpecker

Dave

Sharp-tailed just outside the region - bit of a get back for those who need it and missed the Kilnsea bird - let's hope it sticks.

Starting to hot up now nationally - Buff-bellied Pipit, River Warbler, Bobolink as well all new today.

Well as predicted I didn't get too much birding in this weekend, a birthday yesterday meant we were toboganning in Cas and then lounging around. This morning was a 3-0 win against Barugh U11's Hurrah!

Got home and saw Pugneys was worth a visit so nipped down for a couple of hours ...

Jim, saw this record and was curious where the lake is for future reference. How do you work it?

Thanks.

It's a small fishing pool just to the north of the main lake, that's the opposite side to the reserve lake. Park up in Pugneys car park and start walking clockwise, after 200yds there's a little bridge, turn left and the pool is there. It has a path that runs around it and a number of fishing points on the waters edge.

In reply to Bob, Liverpool

A couple of skeins (c35 total) over Calderdale, West Yorkshire during weekend

Seems a touch early? A load moved through Spurn last week - peak 2600 on Saturday!

Anyway, here are the four that were in among the sheep and cows. Pretty unusual to see any on the deck locally, so am v.pleased

Attachments

• sep10-pinkfeet.jpg
    sep10-pinkfeet.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 82
Poor Little Sod

Vet rang this morning, the Tawny didn't respond to treatment so big sleep began at 6pm last night. What a loss....! Got to go .......I'm filling up...!
Joe

Last edited:
Hornsea Mere today. Went for the Crane but it did not show (again). Had a good day though with the Slavonian Grebe showing nicely at around 3pm for a good 20 minutes before disappearing back round the island. Other birds of note were a Peregrine sitting in a tree on the island, a Red Crested Pochard, and my first 3 Goldeneye of the winter. Also had a Red Throated Diver flying quite close in on the sea front. The Crane is becoming a real bogey for me. I will get it!

Vet rang this morning, the Tawny didn't respond to treatment so big sleep began at 6pm last night. What a loss....! Got to go .......I'm filling up...!
Joe

Joe

You did all and more than could be expected .Last year at Redhouse I found a female Goosander in distress at Redhouse resrvoir. 3 hours later I caught it;swallowed a whole pike fishing rig.Managed to disgorge most of it after help at the local stables..it then keeled over and died!! Or not, as it suddenly once left alone,bolted across the pasture ,hit a fence,got into the local beck that runs to the river and disappeared. I think it was going to die, beat my self up for weeks about letting go of it......but I did my best. So ,sleep soundly ,the poor blighter isn't suffering anymore!

Doc

So they're on their way: first Yellow-browed just turned up at Flamborough earlier today. Hopefully there'll be more goodies to follow the Sharpy, Eastern Oli, Brown Fly, Western Bonelli's, Roller and Squacco.

Last edited:
So they're on their way: first Yellow-browed just turned up at Flamborough earlier today. Hopefully there'll be more goodies to follow the Sharpy, Eastern Oli, Brown Fly, Western Bonelli's, Roller and Squacco

Ain't that enough for one autumn Frank? blimey birders today don't know they're born!

Gannet over Anglers CP this morning following the confiding Manxie at Pugneys on Sunday and the Meadow Pipit surge has still to come..there's hope for us still in VC63

Pretty incredible autumn thus far eh John. Only went for the Brown Fly and W. Bonelli's - was in Filey at the time.

Quick note on Filey: 2 Wryneck, 2 Barrred Warblers, 2-3 Ortolans 2 Icterine Warbs plus loads of common migrants all early autumn. After my visit to Bempton for the Bonelli's it became apparent there is a perception that Filey no longer gets any birds but it's not true. It's always been difficult to compete with Spurn and Flamborough but it's still a great place to bird. There are very few birders after one or two left for the rich pickings a little to the south so coverage has decreased but if anyone fancies a challenge they could do a heck of a lot worse than good old Filey.

Cheers

Frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back