• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadow Pipit? (1 Viewer)

Fulmar

This Pipit was photographed near Glen Loth in northern Scotland early June. Due to the habitat (the edge of an evergreen wood) my first thoughts were Tree Pipit. But seeing the larger spots on the flanks and the not so light belly I think it is a Meadow Pipit. Would you agree?

I have attached two close-ups and a picture with the tree it was sitting in.

Peter

Attachments

• Graspieper-ID1.JPG
    Graspieper-ID1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Graspieper-ID2.JPG
    Graspieper-ID2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Graspieper-ID3.JPG
    Graspieper-ID3.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 231
Was it just sitting there?

I'd have it as a Tree, but unless they are calling or singing, I tend to ignore them. Where I live, it is difficult not to see them both, on a day out, or even a two hour stroll, if you head uphill.

Andy.

I find this a confusing bird, partly because it seems to be in quite worn plumage, but I'd plump for a Tree Pipit with atypically heavy flank streaks.

Points for:

1) the breast streaks are relatively sparse, look more like heavy spots than streaks and do get a bit thinner on the flanks (the dark blob on the centre of the breast is a point in favour of Meadow, but is probably due to stance since it isn't present in the second photo)

2) the long bill looks more like a Tree Pipit's

3) the dark row of median coverts shows up as more contrasty than on most Meadows and has a nice clear, white border

4) the head pattern looks rather atypical to me, but I fancy the rather strong eyestripe favours Tree, while there is just a hint of a pale spot at the rear of the ear coverts like Olive-backed Pipit, which is another oft-quoted feature.

Just my six-penn'orth and happy to be proved wrong.

Jason

oooof this is tricky

I realise that these are the same bird... if you showed me the first pic Id plump for Mipit on plumage and build.
The second one looks more Tripit to me on build...well actually just the bill. I need to see them move or of course hear them call to Id birds like this.

As well as the chunky lower flank streaks, there is the lack of a marked two-tone breast wash. It might be a Tree, but I'd worry that is was a bright Mipit in moult, including missing some forehead feathers making its bill look big.

I am sqaure on the fence!

I'd go for Tree Pipit,mainly on the basis of the stoutish bill shown in the 2nd picture.

ps.How long before Michael tells us what sort of tree it is!

Grousemore said:
I'd go for Tree Pipit,mainly on the basis of the stoutish bill shown in the 2nd picture.

ps.How long before Michael tells us what sort of tree it is!

Different Michael but - Looks like a Larch to me!

Mike

In a previous Pipit thread Jason wrote:
"Go first for the flank streaks. Bold streaks all the way down the side of the flanks = Meadow Pipit. On Tree Pipit the flank streaks are very thin and faint - the heavy streaking effectively seems to stop at the breast sides. This seems reliable for at least 99% of birds".

When I read that, I would think the bird is a Meadow Pipit?

However, most of you seem to favour Tree Pipit, mainly because of the bill. But when I look in the Mullarney, the italics (main features) for distinguishing a Mipit from a Tripit are the slightly heavier bill (OK here), more contrast between the warmbeige breast and the white belly (not OK here) and more contrast between the heavy streaking on the breast and the thin streaking on the flanks (not OK here). Although ID guides exaggerate the differences a little bit for the sake of clearness, the flank streaks for a Tripit are MUCH thinner in the book than on my bird.

So, looking at the main features only, this is a Tree Pipit with an unusual plain breast-belly and unusual heavy flank streaking, or this is a Meadow Pipit with an unusual heavy bill. Are there many Tripits with heavy streaking, or are there many Mipits with heavy bills?

But then, Jason brought forward some additional points. Hmmmm......

Peter

P.S. By the way, how do you insert "real" quotes"?

Fulmar said:
Although ID guides exaggerate the differences a little bit for the sake of clearness, the flank streaks for a Tripit are MUCH thinner in the book than on my bird.

Basically the books show the difference correctly and it is an excellent first pointer when faced with a pipit. Like I said, it holds true for the vast majority of birds, but you do need to check other features as well and I wouldn't rely on just the streaking. There are always exceptions and I'm very much inclined to think this bird is one of them. I'm not 100% sure about it, though. I'm only a common or garden birder, not an expert!

Jason

colin j said:
Well two at least

That would be a new one for me, must start checking out the pips. Down at Dunwich area (not Minsmere) yesterday, doing the tourist thing for a guest staying with me so not a lot of time to bird.

And I've told you a million times - don't exagerate!

Can I just add that the bill on this bird may appear stout by virtue of the fact that it may be photographed from underneath raher than square-on.

Adey

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back