• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tabon Scrubfowl, Sabah (1 Viewer)

ground-roller

Does anyone know if it is possible to see Tabon Scrubfowl on all the islands on Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park (off Kota Kinaballu)? I believe it is only possible to camp on several of the islands and they do not include Manukan where I believe most birders go for this Megapode.
Cheers

Manukan is pretty easy to get to as a day trip. I think various boats go out about every hour. We certainly did it in a day. There's a cafe thing on the island to get snacks, but you're better off taking your own picnic.
When we went in 1997, there were a few feral cats around which was a bad sign but the Meagapodes were pretty easy as they are so noisy scrabbling round in the leaf litter.

Not sure of the other islands but I'm sure you could charter one of the boats or get one to make a detour.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back