• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allen's Gallinules in Kotu (1 Viewer)

pete wragg

A "new" wetland site in Kotu.It's only five minute walk from the sewage pools,I called it "officers mess pools".
If you enter sewage pools from the track opposite Badala Park hotel,at the far righthand end of the pools you can cross a bit of wasteground to get to the main road. When you get to the road, just to the right is a tree-lined road with a sign "Gambia armed forces Officers Mess 150 metres".Walk down this road and immediately after the officers mess take the track to the right. On your left is what looks like an old sand quarry that has been taken over by reeds.
Walk round the back of "quarry" untill you come to the second area of open water with lily-pads,there is also a smaller pool here to the right.
I had several early morning and evening visits,Feb 2014, every time I saw Black Crakes,Purple Swamphens and a pair of Allen's Gallinules.The smaller pool also had Painted Snipe and Little bittern.
This was one of the few places around Kotu I could bird without any hassle from "birdguides".

Pete.

Attachments

• ag.jpg
    ag.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 130
A "new" wetland site in Kotu.It's only five minute walk from the sewage pools,I called it "officers mess pools".
If you enter sewage pools from the track opposite Badala Park hotel,at the far righthand end of the pools you can cross a bit of wasteground to get to the main road. When you get to the road, just to the right is a tree-lined road with a sign "Gambia armed forces Officers Mess 150 metres".Walk down this road and immediately after the officers mess take the track to the right. On your left is what looks like an old sand quarry that has been taken over by reeds.
Walk round the back of "quarry" untill you come to the second area of open water with lily-pads,there is also a smaller pool here to the right.
I had several early morning and evening visits,Feb 2014, every time I saw Black Crakes,Purple Swamphens and a pair of Allen's Gallinules.The smaller pool also had Painted Snipe and Little bittern.
This was one of the few places around Kotu I could bird without any hassle from "birdguides".

Pete.

Wow sounds excellent! Will have to give it a look in November :)
Thanks Pete!

cheers for that will check it out in about a month.

did the area on a day round kotu, as you say no hassle missed the allen's but got most of the other things and a large monitor, we did manage a african crake round behind the creek watched itfor 5mins. thanks for the info well worth a visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back