• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please put a policy for not posting nest photographs in this forum (1 Viewer)

atanumondal

Hi Everybody,
This is just a thought abt the policy of this forum.. We do ask people not to post pictures of zoo animals or any other captive animals.. Can't we also forbid people on posting pictures of birds on nest..

Here in India, we have serious problems with unethical bird photographers, ranging from attracting predators on nest, to gardening, to even destroying the nest so that a fellow photgrapher should not get a chance to photograph the species. People are trying to pursue the local photo society here to stop accepting nest photographs for competitions. I know some of the worldwide competitions keep that as a rule.. Since birdforum is avery large community on the internet, I am urging the moderators to put this policy matter also for posting in the gallery.

Members please do share ur views on this matter.

Regards
Atanu Mondal

I have made my feelings clear on this subject to the Moderators, but just to clarify, my stance is:
Photographs of nests (no matter what equipment used) should be actively discouraged - not permitted because "I know Mr.X and he is a very careful and professional photographer".
We don't need to see these shots, which are taken when the birds are at their most vulnerable.

atanumondal said:
Hi Everybody,
This is just a thought abt the policy of this forum.. We do ask people not to post pictures of zoo animals or any other captive animals.. Can't we also forbid people on posting pictures of birds on nest..

Here in India, we have serious problems with unethical bird photographers, ranging from attracting predators on nest, to gardening, to even destroying the nest so that a fellow photgrapher should not get a chance to photograph the species. People are trying to pursue the local photo society here to stop accepting nest photographs for competitions. I know some of the worldwide competitions keep that as a rule.. Since birdforum is avery large community on the internet, I am urging the moderators to put this policy matter also for posting in the gallery.
Members please do share ur views on this matter.

Please see the link below to our Gallery Guidelines.

http://www.birdforum.net/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_g_photo

BirdForum has always been extremely vigilant of nest photos in the gallery and remove them when found. Occasionally and unfortunately, one gets by us.

On a personal level, the only nest pictures that I would be fairly happy with would be those of birds nesting in very close association with Man, eg. Storks nesting on roadside poles, House Martins nesting under the eaves of a house, and then only if these pictures are taken from a safe distance as a 'snapshot' to illustrate the type of site - not to illustrate bird behaviour or similar, which would obviously require much more time and therefore disturbance!

If any Member finds a nest photograph on the Forum that they think is questionable, please report it to a member of Staff.

Andy.

I wonder how the fixed nest box cams were fixed, which came first, the chicken or the egg??

With regards to photography at the nest, it depends on who's doing the photography! Some WELL KNOWN photographers are notorious among others who know better, for giving little regard to the welfare of the bird, the picture is the only objective. Other concientious photographers are so carefull they almost don't get a photograph on occasions.

nirofo.

nirofo said:
I wonder how the fixed nest box cams were fixed, which came first, the chicken or the egg??
nirofo.

Our nest boxes (with cameras already installed inside them) were put up well before the nesting season started, and I know Nobby/Brett did the same.

Have a look at our websites if you need proof!

nests should always be left alone! theres no need to "eggwatch", birds are to easy to spook. stick to photographing the birds please people - cheers. :t:

nirofo said:

don't understand the point. Nestcams sit in the box and there is no disturbance of the bird, the later being the point of the thread.

The RSPB have some nestcams I believe
e.g Blue Tits at Pulborough Brooks, Great Tits at Abernathy

Last edited:
pduxon said:
don't understand the point. Nestcams sit in the box and there is no disturbance of the bird, the later being the point of the thread.

web-cams are fine. i was aiming at people who might be thinking of getting a rare shot of bird eggs/chicks thats the point i was trying to get across! hopefully no one here is that irresponsible. its all too tempting to some people to ''have a quick peek'' into a bird nest - only for the bird not to come back, and for the chicks/ eggs to die etc.

How about digiscoped images which are taken quite a distance away,eg the Great Crested Grebes which nest surrounded by water.I took one shot,where one of the birds was standing up,and one could actually see one of the eggs in the nest,but this was only possible due to the fact a high powered scope was being used.

salty said:
web-cams are fine. i was aiming at people who might be thinking of getting a rare shot of bird eggs/chicks thats the point i was trying to get across! hopefully no one here is that irresponsible. its all too tempting to some people to ''have a quick peek'' into a bird nest - only for the bird not to come back, and for the chicks/ eggs to die etc.

I was referring to Nirofo's post! I did reply to that one didn't I??????????

will never forget watching adult osprey feeding chick! was using scope on 60x - but still saw everything like it was right infront of me, magical :bounce: thats the beauty of using a scope - gets you close to the action, even though you might be a mile away! p.s. im jealous of your web-cam Elizabeth! :clap:

pduxon said:

The RSPB have some nestcams I believe
e.g Blue Tits at Pulborough Brooks, Great Tits at Abernathy

There was an owl cam at Pulborough Brooks this year - you could watch the activity on a screen inside the Visitor Centre.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
There was an owl cam at Pulborough Brooks this year - you could watch the activity on a screen inside the Visitor Centre.

brill! any fledglings? were getting a bit short of owls it seems! hope things pick up next year.

salty said:
brill! any fledglings? were getting a bit short of owls it seems! hope things pick up next year.

Yes there were - but I can't remember how many! :eek!: At least two - next time I'm there I shall try to remember to ask.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Our nest boxes (with cameras already installed inside them) were put up well before the nesting season started, and I know Nobby/Brett did the same.

Have a look at our websites if you need proof!
Thank you ,didn't know about this til 10 mins ago!
Lovely to see the babies growing and how caring the parents are(were),added to favourites for another look later this week!
Eagle

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back