• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser dilemma (1 Viewer)

Draco

I was happy to see a pair of Wood Duck on the house that I put out over the small lake that I live on. That was about two weeks ago. The hen checked it out and I saw her for several days after that. On Saturday the 5th I stopped seeing her, so on Wednesday the 9th I rowed out and opened the access cover. Bad idea! I flushed her and found that she had a clutch of nine eggs. Nest fidelity must be strong for this bird because it returned in time for what I believe was incubation in progress. Shortly after I had upset her a hen Hooded Merganser landed on and was interested in the housing. The hen Wood Duck showed up in time to get back in before the Merganser went in. I have chased the Merganser from the top of the box several times since then. Now I read that Merganser will occasionally nest in the same box with a Wood Duck. It does not seem to be nesting in the box, but I wouldn't doubt that it may be laying eggs. This will mean trouble for everyone, especially the Merganser eggs which will be on a daily rotating incubation, instead of a whole clutch at a time. What would you do? Let nature take its course? Take another look?

mark

Hi Mark,

Best let nature take its course - if nothing else, it would probably be illegal to interfere and would certainly risk making the Wood Duck desert if there was a lot of human activity near the nest (a one-off disturbance won't cause problems, but repeated disturbance will)

Here's to hoping both are successful!

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back