• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ28 experiences (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Panasonic's FZ28 has been the subject of several threads here on BF. However, these threads are all concentrating on particular topics. That makes it cumbersome to get an overview. I'd like to start a new thread here where users can discuss their experiences. There will - inevitably - be a bit of repetition from other threads at first.

I'm trying to start with new aspects that I experienced so far. I must add that my comparisons will be with the FZ8, not the immediate predecessor, the FZ18.

One aspect is a special review switch that is located in the upper right corner of the camera's back. Compared to the FZ8, this allows reviewing without having to turn the mode dial wheel on the top. However, as I bought this camera primarily for its video features (HD and zoom capability while recording), it has happened several times that I inadvertantly turned the recording off with that review switch. With the FZ8, I usually recorded videos without a support. HD videos lose all their resolution advantage in such a case. The shake is just too much. Thus, I try to use a tripod now when I intend to record videos. But following a moving object like a bird or an airplane, means one may move a bit like a contortionist around that fixed tripod. Needless to say that keeping the object in the tiny EVF at the same time distracts sufficiently to forget about that review switch. Trying to get a better or new hold is often all it takes to turn off the recording.

A second aspect is that the mode dial now has so many features on it that it is tricky to quickly switch back and forth between my two preferred settings, P and video. Marking those stops with a black line has helped considerably.

Finally, for now, the handle is no longer as ergonomically designed as on the FZ8. It starts out with a less tacky cover. Then, that review switch is exactly where the FZ8 has a fine thumb rest to give a secure grip. And last but not least, the gap between the handle and the objective barrel is too small. In particular, the widened base of the tube interferes with my (blunt) fingernails. Quite irritating indeed when I'm in a hurry.

Thus, while I like the fine HD video feature enough to keep the camera, I definitely prefer to use the FZ8 for still pictures. The much more conventient EVF of the FZ8 is another reason for that. There, it is much easier to see whether a picture is well focussed.

Last edited:
FZ28 review posted

There is now a relatively extensive review available: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/panasonic_fz28.html

Mostly, it is extremely favorable. Considering the fact that there are actually some issues which are not mentioned, one does well in taking such reviews with a "pinch of salt". For example, at least in the conclusions there is no comment on the change of the EVF from the FZ18 to the FZ28.

My 2 cents...

I had narrowed my choice between the FZ18 or the newer (and supposedly better) FZ28 when I made my purchase a few months ago. The FZ28 was readily available, but I had to hunt for a FZ18. And the older (harder to find) FZ18 actually cost more.

I read all the reviews and comments from actual birding users here on the forums, and they were invaluable in helping me make my choice. The feeling I came away with was that - for birding - the FZ18 was the better choice. One of the prime reasons cited was the larger EVF.

I went with the FZ18 and have not looked back. I couldn't be happier - I love it. I think I made the best choice - for birding - which is primarily what I use it for.

Tom

Hi
new to the group and just bought the FZ28, couldnot find the FZ18 forsale in the UK.
Struggling to try and get some decent sharp bird images, but found this website which has been mentioned before esp. the FZ18 but the site now has info on the the FZ28 settings

http://artzen2.com/

Rother

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back