• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (3 Viewers)

I am talking about the side lever on the left hand side, which I've set for manual focus rather than zoom. If you are in iA the lever automatically reverts to an extra zoom lever, as you can't have manual focus in iA. I have been using the video function in iA a fair bit lately and I've found that once you start the video in iA the side lever zoom ceases to function and you must use the zoom lever around the shutter button. That's not a big deal, as the video runs all by itself and you have a free index finger to manipulate the zoom.

Hi Hobbes, I haven't done it, but I know its possible, as I have seen pictures of the FZ150 with that very teleconverter attached.

Hi Roger
Thanks for replying. Interesting to hear. I wonder how it's attached? I shall look into it. I'm glad you're enjoying the new camera, finally ;)
All the best
Hobbes

Hi Roger
Thanks for replying. Interesting to hear. I wonder how it's attached? I shall look into it. I'm glad you're enjoying the new camera, finally ;)
All the best
Hobbes

Hobbes, if you do a search for rolla gravette, or if that doesn't work try ken gravette on flickr, you will see some of the equipment he's attached to both the fz100 and fz150. He has done a heap of studies on both those cameras and is a good source of information. You can also find his comments on both cameras on Amazon. Just search for Panasonic FZ100 or Pansonic fz150, then click on the picture of the camera and scroll down until you come to customer comments. His comments on both cameras are at the top of the list. By the way, he uses an adapter tube for his teleconverter attachments. He has even bolted 3 in series to get a gigantic zoom and ended up with a piece of equipment that is huge. Actually, I have just had a look at Flickr and Ken goes under the name of kgravett1, so do a search on that name and see some of the stuff he ahs been doing with these cmaeras.

Last edited:
Hobbes, if you do a search for rolla gravette, or if that doesn't work try ken gravette on flickr, you will see some of the equipment he's attached to both the fz100 and fz150. He has done a heap of studies on both those cameras and is a good source of information. You can also find his comments on both cameras on Amazon. Just search for Panasonic FZ100 or Pansonic fz150, then click on the picture of the camera and scroll down until you come to customer comments. His comments on both cameras are at the top of the list. By the way, he uses an adapter tube for his teleconverter attachments. He has even bolted 3 in series to get a gigantic zoom and ended up with a piece of equipment that is huge. Actually, I have just had a look at Flickr and Ken goes under the name of kgravett1, so do a search on that name and see some of the stuff he ahs been doing with these cmaeras.

Thanks Roger, I'll take a look, as you suggest. :t:
Hobbes

I've had a chance to look through the info for the FZ150, particularly on kgrevett1 flickr site. I cannot find anything on the use of teleconverters either there or elsewhere. It doesn't look as though the teleconverter option has been made available/easy for the new FZ150, which is a real shame. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong :t:
Hobbes

Last edited:
the use of teleconverters

Is available; as is a close-up lens facility. Why one should need the latter is beyond me.

Both are catered for in [CONVERSION], in the [REC] Mode menu.

The lens adapter, DMW-LA5, is required for both.

Glad to delight you, 'Hobbes2'.

Is available; as is a close-up lens facility. Why one should need the latter is beyond me.

Both are catered for in [CONVERSION], in the [REC] Mode menu.

The lens adapter, DMW-LA5, is required for both.

Glad to delight you, 'Hobbes2'.

Ah-ha, thanks John. That's good news. I had heard that the necessary thread (for the adapter) which had been on all previous models, had been removed on the FZ150. Consider me delighted ;)
Thanks
Hobbes

Well I just got mine this morning! First thing I plugged in the battery, attached the straps and lens cover.

Question 1: The paper manual seems a little thin. There is a disk but my disk player in my computer is kaputt. Is it much different than the one that comes with it? How many pages is it and is it worth getting it printed at Kinko's? Or should I just rely on internet info like here? I'm not ever going to be a power user.

Question 2: What is the Silkypix cd? Photofunstudio 6.5. Can't load it but it would be nice to know what I'm missing. I guess I could get a place like kinko's to load it on a thumb drive for me.......?

I also bought this battery though I'm not sure why....it came with one, is this one better?
Panasonic DMW-BMB9 Lithium-Ion Battery for select Panasonic Lumix Cameras for DMCFZ100...
Sold by: Franklin Cash Register, Inc.
Condition: new
Quantity: 1
$44.44 each
Item subtotal: $44.44

And a 16GB memory card which should be plenty I've been using a 256mb and thats been fine.

.........And a 16GB memory card which should be plenty I've been using a 256mb and thats been fine.

Wait till you get the hang of doing HD videos. ;)

Oh, and a spare battery is always a good idea! I would never be without one.

Can't help you with your main questions (yet).

Last edited:
Silkypix is a program to develop a RAW image to a jpg or other format. If you don't take pictures in RAW it will not be a problem that you cannot load.

Photofunstudio is (I think) a program for downloading your images from the camera/memory card that also allows you to perform some editing of the (jpg) images. If you leave the video format in AVCHD you will likely need this, if you change to the alternative (I can't remember if the alternative is mpeg or .mov) you may already have other programs that does the rest.

And yes, I would also want to charge both batteries and bring them in the field so that you can change if the first one runs out

Niels

Question 1: The paper manual seems a little thin. There is a disk but my disk player in my computer is kaputt. Is it much different than the one that comes with it? How many pages is it and is it worth getting it printed at Kinko's? Or should I just rely on internet info like here? I'm not ever going to be a power user.
The pdf is 202 pages so has much more info than the paper quick guide. It is downloadable from Panasonics website or if you wish to PM me your email address I can email you a copy. Its 10.5 MB
Whether its worth it to you I can not say, but I have found it useful.
Graham

My thoughts on the battery issue, is that one
is a genuine Panasonic and the other is a clone.
Both will work equally well in the fz150, but
won't in the fz100.
You should download the bigger of the
2 pdf manuals offered, as it has all the necessary
Details in it.

Rather mixed feelings here.

I finally got my FZ150 as well. And I must say that I have some mixed feelings about this camera. For one thing, the camera is considerably heavier, and also a bit bulkier than my FZ35. Just enough to no longer make for comfortable handling with my rather small hands.

On the positive side, I'm very happy with the longer zoom. And the controls at the side of the barrel are a very fine improvement indeed. I particularly love the option of manual focus.

As I bought this camera for taking videos as well, I am very disappointed with the low light performance of the FZ150 in this respect. The FZ35 allows for taking low-light videos, like a perched owl illuminated just by a medium power flash light. With the FZ150, however, the picture remains so dark as to render this option unusable. :C

I've been using an FZ100 since April, but am finding it very difficult to get anywhere near the image quality I had previously on my FZ38.

Of those who've owned/used either of these cameras, how does the FZ150 stack up against them - especially in terms of image quality?

Is it worth upgrading to the FZ150, or looking to an alternative range for the image quality?

Regards

Matt

I've been using an FZ100 since April, but am finding it very difficult to get anywhere near the image quality I had previously on my FZ38.

Of those who've owned/used either of these cameras, how does the FZ150 stack up against them - especially in terms of image quality?

Is it worth upgrading to the FZ150, or looking to an alternative range for the image quality?

Regards

Matt

From the reviews I've read, the FZ150 is supposed to be much better regarding image quality than the FZ100.

As someone who has both cameras, the FZ150 has much better image quality and some better features, like the side lever, which you can set to focus, if you wish and it gives you a fast way to manually focus the camera. The FZ100, wasn't very good in that respect. Also, if you set the lever to focus, you can still use it as an alternative zoom, when you switch to iA, as there is no manual focus in that setting. In short the FZ150 has fixed up all the flaws the FZ100 had.

Thanks guys,
From what I've read the image quality does seem to be a lot better than the FZ100, its good to know this is the case in reality judging by your comments on this thread.

How does the camera perform in low light?
Living in the UK means a lot of overcast autumn and winter days where the light levels can be pretty low.

I'd be interested to see any shots from people who've been out recently birding in such conditions

Regards

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back