• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Vanguard Endeavor ED II Line Showing Available (1 Viewer)

After 2 hours of testing against several other bins at CleySpy on Sunday, i bought the 8x42 Endeavor 2. A further 2 hours later at Cley, i'd had 8 gannets along the coast, a flock of around 50 ruff, 12 black-tailed godwits, 3 marsh harriers, sparrowhawk, curlew, dunlin, 3 buzzards....here we go again!
I love these things -
Perhaps a more rational comparison to the 8.5x45 ED 1 when i get less busy....:t:

Congratulations on the new toy!

Wow, I'd love to say the EDII 8x42 magically transformed my birding fortunes.... but sadly not. Looking forward to hearing how you think the new one compares with the original when you get a chance.

Cheers,

David

Last edited:
I received the slip-on objective covers with the 8x42, as well as the rainguard. I'm not sure if i'll keep them on though, except when transporting them in bag or something. They don't present a problem in use, but it feels a little odd having them dangling off the front.
The initial impact between the originals and ED2 is colour and contrast. The 2s are just sharper, and pretty much right across the view. CA is greatly reduced too. I tend to experience it more on a longitudinal plane in most bins, and seem to be particularly prone to seeing it, so i might be a good guinea-pig for this one! It will be interesting to see how the ED2 stacks up in the kind of light i most see it in, which is usually bright/overcast.

Does anyone know what the IPD is for the 8x42 size?

One site says the lowest is 58 for the older pair and 60 for these. But there doesn't appear to be an official measurement on this.

Just curious to know..

I get 58.5 on mine. I find the flat view makes it more forgiving than some models and there is less need to adjust for distance

David

8545 versus 8x42 ED2

I can't claim any of this is scientific, but here goes:
Physical characteristics: Despite the wider barrel on the 8545 and larger objective, the ED2 feels heavier, but not by a lot. The moulding of the rubber armouring is also finer - less like the 'croc skin' look of the ED1. The increased armouring density covers more of the barrel on the ED2 (from the inside to level with the edge of the thumb indents on the base, and to the logo on the top). It also feels slightly more protective than on the original.
The 8545 glass has a blueish tint at both objective and eyepiece; the ED2 is greenish, but the significance of this is lost on me.
The ED2 has a more cylindrical feel in the hand than the ED1; perhaps the 45mm objective is responsible for a more conical feel.
I can comfortably fit three fingers between the hinges on both models, and -being used to Vanguard's aggressive focus - i operate the focus wheel by using the nail of the index finger between the stipples.
At the eye, the weight of the ED2 is no problem - in fact, there is something comforting in its solidity.
Views I printed out a JPEG of a test chart and a separate sheet with a large circle on it, and viewed them from a distance of about 20ft. The sky was uniformly grey, but fairly bright - this is my 'perfect condition' for picking out CA problems, particularly using dark roofs etc.
The black-on-white barring of the chart almost pulsed when viewed through the ED1, which was a surprise. The ED2 didn't present this at all. The circle remained a circle at the periphery of vision (360 degrees) for both models, and a test against an aerial at edge of focus produced no pin cushion in either. I could make neither perform 'rolling ball' when panning left to right fairly quickly.
So now to the big differences. I can make almost any bin produce some CA, only failing on a Zeiss Victory HT 8x42. This, i have accepted, is something to do with me. In these conditions, i could get CA on the longitudinal plane quite easily on the 8545, but really had to work at it with the ED2, and this even then was a much, much narrower band, and right at the edge of vision.
Colour contrast and resolution was much more intense on the ED2; when i bought it, i (perhaps strangely, but there was a logic) compared it not only with my old ED, but also with a Zeiss Victory, Swaro SLC, a Vortex Diamondback and a Victory FL. While there's something unique about the Victory HT, i thought the ED2 was up there with the Alphas in these two regards, and still think so.
The field is much flatter than the original ED, and the in-focus zone much wider and clearer on the ED2.
However, the depth of focus is something i wasn't expecting. While using a nearby chimney pot as the focus, the top branches of a garden tree behind it was slightly out of focus on the 8545. With the ED2, not only the branches remained in focus, but also the top of a tree much, much further back on the water meadows behind the house.
I should add that on a quick walk earlier in the week along the River Waveney, i tested the half-light gathering by looking under some overhanging foliage, to reveal - in perfect detail - a morehen's head. I tested this against the naked eye, and wouldn't have seen it at all.
Like Typo, plastic connectors make me slightly nervious on lanyards; a suggestion is to wrap 20mm wide Velcro strips through the gaps above and below the two connectors. If you're never intending to take them off, cable ties work well too.
This has been a fairly quick and relatively non-technical overview, but all i can say at this stage is that the ED2 8 x 42 is one hell of a good set of optics for £399. I would also suggest a big 'hats off' to Vanguard to paying attention to what customers were saying about the original Endeavor: that the CA issue was holding back a really good product. They seem to have done this, but gone further, with improved clarity, brightness, colour contrast, resolution, a wider sweet-spot which seems to go almost 3/4 of the way to the edge, better 'focal depth' and a flat field, with no pin cushion i could see, and no rolling ball. They've got the balance just about right with these.
Some may find the FOV restrictive, but i don't, as i've experienced more problems with wider views than i have with a well-controlled narrow one.
I'm also a fan of fast focus. It took a short while to get used to it at first, but i find going back to more forgiving gearing equally difficult now.
Tomorrow - no more test charts, black-tiled roofs, aerials and trees: I'm going birding with them! ;)

I get 58.5 on mine. I find the flat view makes it more forgiving than some models and there is less need to adjust for distance.

Same as the 10x42 model. The 8x32 model is quite a bit shorter though. I get around 53.5-54mm on the smaller unit.

I'm also a fan of fast focus. It took a short while to get used to it at first, but i find going back to more forgiving gearing equally difficult now.

Paddy, is your focus wheel very stiff? It seems okay after you play with it for several minutes but when I come back to it after several hours of non-usage, it feels ultra-stiff.

The 8x32 focus wheel is nice and smooth. It doesn't take hardly any pressure to turn the wheel. It's not as fast&loose like the Zeiss Terra ED but it's just right.

(The best focus wheel so far for me is on the Vortex Razor HD. Incredibly smooth!)

Nice write-up Paddy. Sounds like we are in pretty good agreement. :t:

David

That's a relief! It's the first time i've ever tackled an optics review of any kind...apologies for not linking to your review, which i read again after using the 8x42, and thought banged the nail home pretty firmly.
(It's in the equipment reviews, folks!)

That's a relief! It's the first time i've ever tackled an optics review of any kind...apologies for not linking to your review, which i read again after using the 8x42, and thought banged the nail home pretty firmly.
(It's in the equipment reviews, folks!)

Thanks Paddy

The Equipment Review section is misbehaving, not showing new entries or allowing photos to be uploaded, so for those that missed it it's here:
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/446/cat/9
Just for completeness the more technical stuff and discussion is here:http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=290229

David

Paddy, is your focus wheel very stiff? It seems okay after you play with it for several minutes but when I come back to it after several hours of non-usage, it feels ultra-stiff.

The 8x32 focus wheel is nice and smooth. It doesn't take hardly any pressure to turn the wheel. It's not as fast&loose like the Zeiss Terra ED but it's just right.

(The best focus wheel so far for me is on the Vortex Razor HD. Incredibly smooth!)

Hi - No, haven't noticed a stiff focus wheel. Just been out with it for 6hrs and it feels fine. If anything , the 8545 Mk1 is slightly stiffer.
I didn't mention the improvement in close focus (around 6ft, i reckon), which is going to mean i might be able to leave the Papillio at home! Might be worth contacting the supplier if the wheel seems to be getting stiffer. Vanguard's guarantee seems to be very good, and i believe even better in the US.

So it seems that China produced something very interesting, I had Spirit ED, Endeavor ED mk.I (it has sweetspot of around 85%).. Maybe the advanced optical system with more elements caused that transmission is lower than in previous version, but now the vanguard have very good optical scheme/conception which after update of AntiReflection and HighReflection coatings can compete with the best of best....

Endeavor ED II 10x42

Yes it was optically a very good binocular. Have no complaints whatsoever on its performance.

I decided to return mine for the stiff focus wheel issue. If I was planning to keep it long term, then I would have certainly contacted Vanguard to see if they can address that concern.

Every so often, I'll pick up my 8x32 ED II just to check the focus wheel. It's still as smooth as ever.

EDII - road test

Members of the mighty Waveney Bird Club spent a weekend out at Orfordness in Suffolk last weekend, and i thought i'd take the opportunity to get a few opinions on the EDII 8x42. Orfordness is a large shingle spit, with a range of habitats - saltmarsh, grazing marshes, estuary and sea with VERY BIG skies. The day provided a range of weather conditions, from a sunny morning to an increasingly cloudy afternoon.
The group was about 13 strong, and i picked on about 8 of them at random. This was not scientific or extensive, as i didn't want to impinge on the main event. Probably the longest spent with the bins was around 5 minutes.
The 'victims' were mainly Swaro users - 8x and 10x, but there were also Zeiss FLs, Leica Trinovid BN (10x), a couple of RSPB 8x and Nikon Travelite 8x25 EX. The main fact however is that all of them were serious birders.
So, to the interesting bit (also interesting to me, as i had a quick squint through all their bins too...)
1. There were absolutely no negative comments, either about the speed of the focus, or the field of view. In fact, at least 4 commented on the 'width' of the FoV, which - in view of the stats - i translated as the 'usability' of the field. Most actually saw the focus speed as an advantage, and spent some time focusing back and forth from close-up stonechat and linnet to distant redshank.
2. The close focus was commented on more than favourably; at least three testers moved to testing the close-up within a minute or two of using them (as many of our members are also butterfly/dragonfly fans).
3. The clarity and colour rendition was universally mentioned as a plus - only one Swaro 10x user said he thought his were 'sharper'
4. Weight and balance - again, positive. Two female members of the party thought the ergonomics of the bins were better than theirs (Swaro 8X SLC and Trinovid BN 10x).
5. Interestingly, no one mentioned the flat field, without a little poke from me. I think many were used to field flattening, and so saw nothing unusual in it.
5. Specific quotes included 'there's nothing to not like here - you could get to love these!' and a general 'Whaaa?' when i told the general party the price of £399.

As for myself - i sea-watched with them and counted up 1500 brent geese over the Saturday, identified a merlin (our target for the trip!) after it put up 90 golden plover at a distance of about 800m, got an Iceland gull over the sea and they didn't let me down once. I could just make them colour fringe when in the most extreme circumstances, but nothing like the ED 1 would have done. I used them on a little owl at first light and waders at dusk, and found them perfectly fine in half-light and lower.
Also to mention: as i tried all their Alphas quickly, i could see that famous (for me) pale brightness, common to all of them, which - thanks to Typo - i now know as effective transmission of the shorter blue wavelengths. However, i found the contrast in the Vanguard perhaps more to my liking.
The view i liked best of the 'other bins' surprised me - the Trinovid 10x42 BN, with barrels like - well, barrels. Go figure.
The transmission figures for the EDII on the Allbinos test are seemingly what kept it from hitting the '150' score previously only achieved by the alphas (i think it missed by about 3). As mentioned above, this is probably this famous 'blue' end, contributing to what i still think of as 'pale brightness'. I should also mention my particular susceptibility to CA, and that i can make it happen in bins that others can't. It's a cross i've learned to bear.....
Paddy

Last edited:
Paddy,

An interesting field test. I realise it was only short evaluations but it's notable that no one found anything odd about the flat view. I've found a couple of people didn't like my 8x42 but by the sounds of it they might be a minority. If your EDII is comparable to mine I wouldn't give too much credence to the Swarovski owners claim that his was sharper, it's not scientifically possible.

David

Paddy,

An interesting field test. I realise it was only short evaluations but it's notable that no one found anything odd about the flat view. I've found a couple of people didn't like my 8x42 but by the sounds of it they might be a minority. If your EDII is comparable to mine I wouldn't give too much credence to the Swarovski owners claim that his was sharper, it's not scientifically possible.

David
Thanks David - whether his 'sharper' comment meant actually 'brighter' or 'clearer' we'll never know! Equally, nobody found fault with the fast focus, and most actually saw it as an advantage. I was in at least 4 different environments in a range of lights and distances and seriously couldn't fault the performance of the 8x42 EDII. As i may have said earlier, i'm very familiar with fast focus through the EDI; once you're used to it, it really presents no problem.

Hi Paddy,

Very interesting comments. I tried the 8x42 and thought it was excellent optically but wasn't comfortable with it. I found the eye relief too long and the apparent field of view a bit narrow but this is down to personal preference - I can't fault the optics.

I've tried a heck of a lot of binoculars recently and I've yet to find anything sharper. I have the 10x42 ED II which is more to my liking due to the shorter eye relief and larger apparent field of view.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back