• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZR 7x36 ED2 sweet spot question. (1 Viewer)

Cluster

The ZR ED2 7x36 was once on my wish list, I had pre-ordered one a while ago, but cancelled when other issues got in the way. Now it's back on my wish list, but..can anyone tell me what the sweet-spot is like, particularly the way that the definition of the view degrades outside of the sweet spot?
(I am thinking of my Nikon 7x35 Action Porros which had a good sized sweet-spot, but deteriorated alarmingly to the edge. It was so diffused near the edge that it distracted me every time I used it......don't want one like that again......)

Dave

Thanks for the info Dennis. Not sure if your unacceptable fall off is the same as mine though, it's one of those areas that is difficult to spec.
My Excursion EX7x36 (correction, now my wife's..) had a smallish sweet-spot (even the definition of sweet-spot is debatable) but outside the SP the deterioration in detail was so gentle that good definition remained at the edges and the bin gives quite a pleasant view, despite its other foibles.
How bad did you think the deterioration in the ED2 7x36 gets towards the edge? It's a wide FOV and we must allow some fall off. Does it fall off like the Eii, or more like the 7x35 Action?

Dave

Last edited:
Hello Dave,

I found the edges far too soft for my liking. Of course, this a matter of very personal sensibilities. The binocular sits in my cupboard but I did find, the now discontinued, Meopta MeoPro 6.5x32 more to my liking.
Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hi Dave,

I don't know the Eii or 7x35 action.

I have owned several Chinese binoculars, Hawke ED 8x43 and 8x36, Zen Ray ED2 10x43 and both versions of the Zen Ray 7 x 36.

All the above are terrific value for money and the service from Charles (Zen Ray) is first class. Don't forget to factor in customs charges when buying from the US.

Regarding the 7 x 36's. All I can say is that for me I hated the image falloff on both 7x36's and sold them on after a very short period of ownership. The other Hawkes and Zen Ray were nowhere near as bad.

But I should declare I'm (now) an edge to edge sharpness fanatic. ( SV8.5x42, SV 8x32, Nikon Edg 8x32 and Prime HD 10x42)

Thanks for your input. It's a little like a learning process. There was once a time when I didn't "see" the edges of the view, but progressive moves up in view quality make it difficult to take a retrograde step.
My recent purchase of a Nikon 8x32 HGL has wowed me with its flat field and wide sweet-spot, and the Leica 7x42BN isn't very far off my kind of perfection (for the time being).

I'll wait until I can get a chance to try a 7x36ED2 and struggle on with my Leica ;) (and develop better neck and arm muscles).

Incidentally, my 6.5x32 Viking MD gives a very good performance, but is just a little too low in mag, at least when comparing A to B with other 7x bins......

Dave

Last edited:
I tried two samples and both had more field curvature in the left EP than the left (switched eyes to make sure it wasn't me, it wasn't). Big difference - sharp out to 70% on the right side and gradual fall off; sharp out to 55% on the left side and steep fall off after that, though most of the edge could be refocused. Very odd that both samples would have the same variation. If both sides were like the right side, I might have been able to live with the gobs of pincushion that piled up at the edges, turning straight lines into Cupid's Arrow. Got a "rolling BOWL" effect while panning, and it was even more evident while tilting the bin up and down a tree.

The body, which is the same as the Hawke 8x36 Frontier, I liked. Compact for an open bridge roof. Very wide FOV @9*, but I would have traded a degree for less pincushion and sharper edges.

If you get a sample with two good EPs (i.e., both fall off at 70%), you will probably like it if the pincushion doesn't bother you, because the image in the centerfield is sharp and clean (no CA on axis! even in high contrast situations). Good colors and bright views. If I could buy one with two good EPs, I'd probably buy another and try to ignore the extreme pincushion - easier to ignore than "rolling ball" for me (i.e., lack of pincushion).

Worth a try, I think.

Brock

Last edited:
Hi Dave. You don't mention which version of the Actions you have. I have the Action Extreme, and, compared to the ED2, I would say that the far edges are equally soft. However, the ED2 is clearly brighter, a bit sharper, and overall has better contrast. Have you considered the 7x43 ED3? From what I've read, the edges seem to be a bit better than the ED2 (although it is only an 8* field, rather than 9*).

Hi Dave. You don't mention which version of the Actions you have. I have the Action Extreme, and, compared to the ED2, I would say that the far edges are equally soft. However, the ED2 is clearly brighter, a bit sharper, and overall has better contrast. Have you considered the 7x43 ED3? From what I've read, the edges seem to be a bit better than the ED2 (although it is only an 8* field, rather than 9*).

I had a Nikon Action VII 7x35. Whilst it had a large sweet-spot and a large FOV, the degree of distortion (or mush) seen towards the outer edge became a distraction for me.
At the time, I was also looking at a Bushnell Excursion EX 7x36 that didn't have the same FOV, sweet-spot size and wasn't as bright, but it gave a great view, softness coming in towards the edge (from about 50%) very gently. Without looking to check, it gave the impression of the detail being seen right to the edge. (It also sold me on 7x). My wife uses this now.
In my current binoculars, none have poor edges, perhaps except the Opticron SRGA 8x32 which sounds to be similar to your description of the ZR, very good central sharpness dropping off fairly quickly past 50-60% to a quite detail-free edge.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back