• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7X Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Stephen Mark

I would like to find a pair of 7X binoculars but it seems that they come two ways, either Alphas with their two thousand dollar price tag or the around five hundred and under class. Dose any one have an idea of a really good bin that is not much over a thousand dollars or less? I can't seem to find anything in the Zeiss Conquest HD or Vortex Razor class in that magnification.
Steve

Meopta makes a 7x42 (or thereabouts). It is the only "mid-level" ($700-$1200) 7x I know of.

If you can spend that much, you might consider buying a used 7x42 Zeiss Victory FL. These are excellent binoculars, and I would easily bet dollars to donuts that a good example will be better than the Meopta.

I would like to find a pair of 7X binoculars but it seems that they come two ways, either Alphas with their two thousand dollar price tag or the around five hundred and under class. Dose any one have an idea of a really good bin that is not much over a thousand dollars or less? I can't seem to find anything in the Zeiss Conquest HD or Vortex Razor class in that magnification.
Steve

YEARS ago, a price tag was a good indicator of quality. $500 will buy an excellent binocular. It may not be the best thing for you if you seek bragging rights, but if you're wanting to enjoy nature, many will serve you well. It is probably better to fall in love with an importer of good reputation than a manufacturer cutting corners to keep the stockholders happy.

Just a thought.

Bill

YEARS ago, a price tag was a good indicator of quality. $500 will buy an excellent binocular. It may not be the best thing for you if you seek bragging rights, but if you're wanting to enjoy nature, many will serve you well. It is probably better to fall in love with an importer of good reputation than a manufacturer cutting corners to keep the stockholders happy.

Just a thought.

Bill

Boy howdy that is the truth.

Hi,

Opticron has a 7x36 that runs around $500. Decent but not an alpha... as the price would suggest. Give Chip w/ Opticron a call, he's a good guy to deal with. FWIW, I own one of these and I am not affiliated in any way.

I also have a 7x36 Swift for sale in the classifieds for less than $300 if you're interested.

CG

Cameta Camera has some Nikon EDG II 7x42 refurbs on sale for $1,339. If you wait a month they will likely drop to around $1,300.

Meopta makes a 7x42 (or thereabouts). It is the only "mid-level" ($700-$1200) 7x I know of.

If you can spend that much, you might consider buying a used 7x42 Zeiss Victory FL. These are excellent binoculars, and I would easily bet dollars to donuts that a good example will be better than the Meopta.

I agree with Phil, a good used 7x42 Zeiss FL or even a good used Zeiss 7x42 Classic T*P* will probably be around your price range and top most new mid range 7x bins.

If you are referring to roof prism only, there are not too many to choose from. Abovementioned are right that you either wait for a second hand alphas or Meopta 7x42. Economy picks are ZenRay or Opticron.

I'd suggest the Habicht 7x42 if porro is ok for you. Usually they are priced at about $1000 or less for the leatherette version. I own the GA742. They are so good optically (surely alpha class) that you'd forget the bit narrow FOV and enjoy the view. It is not tunnel-liked, afterall.

If you want one for your primary binocular you probably should look at the Meopta and upward. If you want a good one as a back up or for special use there is nothing at all wrong with the Leupold Hawthorne.

Bob

Kite Ibis 7x42 ED. I have compared them with the Leica 7x42 HD and the Zeiss Victory 7x42. I preferred the Leica, but the Kite has excellent optics too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back