• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Strap Pre-FieldPro - opinions (1 Viewer)

That changes everything - I was holding off buying the EL Field-pros, being slightly worried I'd not like the new style of strap. But this gives me options to use a traditional strap.

Mind you, I'll probably end up liking the new strap!

Thanks for the link.

The FieldPro SV 8x32 I got came with the optional Loop connectors for attaching regular straps. After using the FieldPro feature for a couple of days I don't think I'll ever use the regular strap. With FiledPro changing the length of the strap to wear it messenger bag style takes 10 seconds and back. Just like any Swaro feature this will be soon be copied by competitors. I also like the new Diopter lock that makes it difficult to accidentally move it.

The FieldPro SV 8x32 I got came with the optional Loop connectors for attaching regular straps. After using the FieldPro feature for a couple of days I don't think I'll ever use the regular strap. With FiledPro changing the length of the strap to wear it messenger bag style takes 10 seconds and back. Just like any Swaro feature this will be soon be copied by competitors. I also like the new Diopter lock that makes it difficult to accidentally move it.

The things I am worried about if I do buy these bins and use this strap are first, the idea of the ends of the cords whipping about in the wind, or just being annoying and getting in the way a bit - although I see there is a slider on each side, which hopefully don't ride up too much and do keep the ends under control. Also, with the cord being obviously thinner than a normal strap, doesn't this make them slightly less stable? Don't they swing a bit more, because a wide strap being wider will surely stop more of the swinging effect? Also, it seems a pretty thin cord, just looks a bit odd on first impression.

Also, the bins are actually slightly less sleek with the new style attachments, they stick out further than a normal lug/attachement point.

As you can see, I'm a hard person to satisfy and am inherently conservative!

I think I have my current bins fairly low down on my chest, so to then put them into the messenger bag position doesn't cause me any inconvenience as the strap is normally already set at the right length for that too.

aix123,

The cords are quite solid and of course thicker in cross section than the previous strap version. The best thing about them is they don't twist as the flat straps can occasionally do. I don't find that the attachment point stick out very far - pictures can be deceiving.

As I now use the new EL Range 10x42 as my primary binocular the excess cord ends on each side are easily taken care of by tucking them into the little pockets that the EL Range neck straps have. These pockets are designed to hold spare batteries for the rangefinder; very well thought out.

On the standard EL's it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a simple solution for keeping any excess cord from whipping around, as you described it. Perhaps a simple, neatly trimmed cable tie not too tightly fixed near each cord end?

sako,

Thanks for your reply.

I think, looking at photos of the bins, that they have a sliding toggle which should keep the ends under control. I must ask in my local dealer what's in the box.

Talking to someone the other day, a retailer, and he thinks the normal straps don't twist anyway, not unless someone has them twisted when they put them around their neck. Maybe the EL cord does twist and you don't see it |:d|

aix123, If the bins are worn close to chest the loose ends may flap around in the wind. The sliders can be moved down to help with this situation. If the bins are worn lower the ends are pulled back up and have no room to flap around as seen in this video

https://youtu.be/ODXL7pZBTSM?t=67

I wear them close to the chest and the sliders keep the loose ends from bothering me.

Last edited:
I have two of the new SV Field Pro binoculars. LOVE the new system. SO easy to change from harness to strap. It's literally a breeze. To adjust the strap length...easy peasy. Strap much less likely to get twisted. Every other non Field Pro strap seems archaic to me.

Well, Swarovski offered to lend new EL 8x32 and 8.5x42 field pro models to us during out Austria 10-day field excursions in June. I've not had an opportunity to see the EL line new updates (strap design, armoring, objective covers, etc.), so this will be be great to evaluate these newest features and lend our observations\experiences here! :t:

Ted

Well, Swarovski offered to lend new EL 8x32 and 8.5x42 field pro models to us during out Austria 10-day field excursions in June. I've not had an opportunity to see the EL line new updates (strap design, armoring, objective covers, etc.), so this will be be great to evaluate these newest features and lend our observations\experiences here! :t:

Ted

You're gonna LOVE 'em! :t:

Just mounted the original strap on my bins.
Have been a bit reluctant to do this, since I thought my old simple zeiss strap worked well.
My first impression is:

+ wide slightly flexible neoprene
+ easy adjustable length of strap "in action"

- Swaro strap is 30g heavier than the zeiss strap
- long flapping strap ends due to the adjustability

Do you like the swaro strap? do you use it?
Any thoughts on the flapping straps ends?

About a year into owning the 8x32 pro model, I am on the verge of giving up on them. The flappy strap drives me bananas and I have ended up buying another Swarovski strap to use - more money spent on them. Added to the awful objective lens covers and the dreadful case I am pretty disappointed. I'll probably sell them soon, or exchange them for something else - it won't be a Swarovski pro model though, that's for sure

About a year into owning the 8x32 pro model, I am on the verge of giving up on them. The flappy strap drives me bananas and I have ended up buying another Swarovski strap to use - more money spent on them. Added to the awful objective lens covers and the dreadful case I am pretty disappointed. I'll probably sell them soon, or exchange them for something else - it won't be a Swarovski pro model though, that's for sure

Yes, but how about the binocular?

I like to have the best bins with the best straps (and other accessories) in the most convenient case. That generally means buying each item from a different manufacturer. My 8.5x42 EL have an Op/tech strap, are used without ocular and objective covers (none of which I like), and are kept in a case made for the Zeiss 7x42.

--AP

The bins are better than the straps for sure...

Don't use the supplied case either, use an Zeiss FL cordura bag instead, can be found cheap, latest case for Zeiss SF is not very practical either.

When Swaro came out with the SV EL Profield changes the fall of last year, they switched to a smaller soft case for the 42 md 50mm models.

Did they come out with a new case for the Profield 32mm models or stay with the overly large field bag? If they have a new case for the 32mm SV EL, is it like the new case for the 42 and 50mm models?

Paul1963 .... What is about the new objective cover design and the case that you do not like? I thought the objective covers were supposed to be an improvement.

Yes, but how about the binocular?

I like to have the best bins with the best straps (and other accessories) in the most convenient case. That generally means buying each item from a different manufacturer. My 8.5x42 EL have an Op/tech strap, are used without ocular and objective covers (none of which I like), and are kept in a case made for the Zeiss 7x42.

--AP

Optically they are excellent Alexis, but the other issues irritate me so much I tend not to use them taking out my Nikon HGLs (Premiers) instead.

I've removed the lens caps and put the little blocks in their stead (although I am concerned that over time the rubber armour may perish in that area, square corners and rubber being a poor engineering mix) and have also obtained and am using the alternative strap mounting from Swarovski (although they, again, feel of a lower quality than I would have expected and I have concerns about their durability) and fitted Swaro's "comfort strap" that, with the eyecups turned down does not allow the rainguard to fit properly, and so I have also had to remove the little metal dumbells and their very neat plastic retainers to use it as a conventional strap - which is an untidy fit and not really very pleasing at all. I am also using an old Nikon case as the "manbag" supplied with them is pretty dreadful too..

Having spent £1400 on them I feel I shouldn't have had to embark on this to make using them an acceptable and comfortable experience, and I am of the opinion that these details seriously undermine Swaro's otherwise excellent optics. I certainly won't ever buy a Swaro Pro model again and, very possibly, not buy any further Swaro products t al :C

When Swaro came out with the SV EL Profield changes the fall of last year, they switched to a smaller soft case for the 42 md 50mm models.

Did they come out with a new case for the Profield 32mm models or stay with the overly large field bag? If they have a new case for the 32mm SV EL, is it like the new case for the 42 and 50mm models?

Paul1963 .... What is about the new objective cover design and the case that you do not like? I thought the objective covers were supposed to be an improvement.

Hi Bruce, I don't like dangly stuff, and within a very short time the rubber link attached them started to stretch. On the previous version they were a rubber ring and I simply did not bother with fitting them, on this version once removed you are left with a small rectangular cut-out into which you clip little plastic blocks. I have an engineering background and one area always avoided with rubber is an exposed square recess and yet this exactly what you have there. I am concerned the armour will split in this area as it is a potentially weak spot.

The bins are better than the straps for sure...

Don't use the supplied case either, use an Zeiss FL cordura bag instead, can be found cheap, latest case for Zeiss SF is not very practical either.

You would have thought at the price that is being charged a decent, simple, flat top case could be provided (like that used on the old SLC) :)

latest case for Zeiss SF is not very practical either.

I think you could legitimately criticise this case for not being waterproof as a result of the zip fastening but considering the case is normally carrying waterproof bins probably with a rainguard on top, there is actually no risk. If you keep a notebook inside that might be different if you take the case out in the field and its a rainy day.

Otherwise its a fine case. There were a few stories in the early days that you can't fit the bins inside but I demonstrated that was wrong with a series of photos posted here and I have now been using them for a couple of years with no probs. I only use my cases for home storage or for protecting the bins during transit to and from holiday destinations and they have been great for that including some downpours between a distant parked car and a hotel entrance on several occasions.

Lee

...Having spent £1400 on them I feel I shouldn't have had to embark on this to make using them an acceptable and comfortable experience, and I am of the opinion that these details seriously undermine Swaro's otherwise excellent optics. I certainly won't ever buy a Swaro Pro model again and, very possibly, not buy any further Swaro products t al :C

I feel your pain. Why can't they get these things right? How do they get away with it? I suppose they get away with it because some things are a matter of taste (so they can't satisfy everyone with a particular design) and also because (in my opinion) the other premium binocular manufacturers do no better.

--AP

I feel your pain. Why can't they get these things right? How do they get away with it? I suppose they get away with it because some things are a matter of taste (so they can't satisfy everyone with a particular design) and also because (in my opinion) the other premium binocular manufacturers do no better.

--AP

I agree absolutely Alexis and all the manufacturers have their weak points. I suppose for me it seems more disappointing as optically they really are so good :)

You would have thought at the price that is being charged a decent, simple, flat top case could be provided (like that used on the old SLC) :)

A little smile is on its place here!

In the beginning, Swarovski offered the optics with a waterproof nylon bag that was excellent for doing the job, but almost all customers complained about the poverty looks of it.
So Swarovski moved on to another (the old SLC) of which the customer started complaining is wasn't dust/waterproof and couldn't keep a note/birderbook inside properly.
So Swarovski moved on and introduced a water/dustproof bag with space for a note- and birdingbook. The customer started complaining that this bag was to bulky.
So Swarovski moved on and introduced this last model bag.

It now happens to be that the customer want's..........

It's hard to acommodate all customers, that's for sure;)

Jan

A little smile is on its place here!

In the beginning, Swarovski offered the optics with a waterproof nylon bag that was excellent for doing the job, but almost all customers complained about the poverty looks of it.
So Swarovski moved on to another (the old SLC) of which the customer started complaining is wasn't dust/waterproof and couldn't keep a note/birderbook inside properly.
So Swarovski moved on and introduced a water/dustproof bag with space for a note- and birdingbook. The customer started complaining that this bag was to bulky.
So Swarovski moved on and introduced this last model bag.

It now happens to be that the customer want's..........

It's hard to acommodate all customers, that's for sure;)

Jan

That is a fact :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back