• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zenith 7x50 (1 Viewer)

Dfisher

Dave F
Hello I own an old pair of old Zenith 7x50's and have done for about 35 years, an Uncle gave them to me when I was 7 years old. He he died shortly afterwards, so I never really got a chance to find out where and when he bought them.
I believe they were made during the 1950's, details noted on them: Zenith triple tested coated optics, Field 7.1 degrees, No 21407, Japan.
I still use them regularly for bird watching and find them to be pretty good, even compared to my friends 7x50 Optolyths.
I've had a look on the internet trying to find out a bit more about them, without much luck. Any information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Would like to recommend Glasgow Binocular Repairs who serviced them several years ago and done a great job.

Cheers.

Hi Dfisher.
The Zenith brand of binoculars were a Japanese binocular and early models were reasonable quality. The 7x50 I own are narrow field and are nothing special in the image front. You will find that after this time of ownership the internals will be dusty, or even worse full of fungus. There were also a few models made in the USSR but that I can not confirm. If you take a look at the rear of the binocular, there should be a JB number there, This will tell you the manufacturer of the instrument if it is indeed a Japanese model.

Hello Simon, thanks for your comments. They do indeed have a JB number and Japan written next to it. Fortunately they are in good condition, this is partly due to the service carried out by Glasgow Binocular Repairs, so looking through them the wrong way the internals are to my eyes immaculate. Cheers, Davie.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back