• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new guy with a new CP 4500 and 'n old problem of focusing (1 Viewer)

Focusing cp4500

I have been doing 3-4 months. Was getting pretty frustrated. I orderd swingaway frame setup from Simplitytool.com and an extendaview lcd viewer from photosolve.com and an adapter from kenkomall.com, put my camera settings on cp4500 at what Andy Bright suggests in this forum, took some hints from KC Foggins who is moderator on this forum, and my pics have started to improve. I find that pics at 60 yds/meters is about best you will get. I also find focusing thru camera very difficult at best if scope not focused well. I try to keep ISO on 100 for bright days and 200 on less bright. Keep zoom on cp4500 so yellow flower setting always shows. Im not sure how you are setup but I find zooming the scope all the way in, focus, zoom all the way out. Then swing camera to scope and shoot. I think I had too high of an expectation of distance when I first startd. I took this anhinga this week and have no editing to it. Dont get frustrated. Keep practicing.

Attachments

• Anhinga2.jpg
    Anhinga2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 306
christineredgat said:
Iv'e just been scrolling through the tips you have been suggesting to Willem.Tracker ,is Aperture Priority when the A is in the bottom left hand corner.I always have the cam on Auto and use infinity,whenever I have tried Macro the picture is fuzzy,and I have not seen any of the little boxes that Ian is referring to .I have seen them on our Canon camera,and use them to focus,but have not come across them on the 4500,is it because I use the Auto settings?,Perhaps I am missing out somewhere.

Willem, hope your visit to the States is successful........ :t:

Hi Christine,

Thats exactly it. Use it set with the 'A' at the bottom left, and rather than the mountain icon showing top right, have the single flower icon there instead. When you zoom with the camera on the scope, try and avoid zooming so far (with cameras zoom) that it goes past the 'yellowing' flower.
Those 'little' boxes Christine can also be switched on and off. They are used for taking a light reading from your subject as well as pointing the camera to the part it needs to focus on.
Let us know how you get on. I can discuss this further with you if ya need to.

tracker

Hi tikey,

Sounds like you are making real good progress with your digi-scoping. Like you say, at first its real easy to think you can hit some good distant shots with a digi-scope set up. With time, you soon realise that the secret is really to get to know the limitation of the gear youre using, and then set about developing from there. Theres lots of learning curves to this hobbie. Ive only been doing it since, i think, end of January this year. Its such a good feeling when you do learn something new about it, apply it, and in time, see the positive results. You too keep at it, and thanks for your observations........ :t:

By the way, pretty decent shot of that bird too....well done!

tracker

Hi Willem,

Came a bit late to this thread....sorry....

Much good advice from people already - I think there are a number of different combinations of settings that seem to work OK for different people.

It is certainly true that one should not have too high expectations from digi-scoping.... I know that I thought that I could see a small bird stuck in a tree in a rain-storm at 100+metres and take a stunning frame-filling picture...unfortunately it ain't gonna happen!! Having said that, most people seem to be able to get quite acceptable results with a bit of time and practice.

The only thing that I did have to add, is that I think there is some possibility that your camera may not be functioning correctly - I was just going to suggest setting up a few test shots....

Stick a nice flat target subject (magazine cover??) up in good light at about 25m and snap away.... This should eliminate all the peripheral problems which go with trying to shoot birds in the field, and you should be able to tell once for all whether the camera is 100%.

Good luck..... Ruby

Hoi Tikey
Frustration is over already. Its becoming more of a challenge. It starts to emerge that there are, basically, two functions: using the scope as a huge tele, but still with the aim to make nice and sharp pictures. There are some limitations regarding distance, weather conditions (light), contrast in the object to that. 2nd function is more documentation, evidence of what you've been seeing in its unbeatable reality.
We'll make it.
I am impressed by your picture.
Regards
Willem

Ruby
I try to forget that may be something is wrong with the cam. I asked the people from Nikon in Holland to have a look at some pictures, and to reply to my extensive description of the problem. We'll see what comes out of it.
Now, I'll be packing tripod, scope and camera, and all the other things in a bag, and see what happens when in the US next week. First business, and then three days of active relaxation, wildlife and much more digiscoping in Yellowstone NP. Can't wait!
The cam has to do the job "as is", and when back in Holland, I'll continue my contacts with Nikon - if necessary.
Regards
Willem

Thanks,Tracker,yes will try the new settings when I have a chance.Most people do seem to use Macro,but I have never had much success with it,which is why I stopped with infinity,but obviously should have the camera on the "A" setting.I have only just found out where this is.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back