• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finches (1 Viewer)

markgrubb

Leading a life of quiet desperation
I live on the east side of Edinburgh and have 3 feeders in the garden. The winter has seen an unremitting view of house sparrows(20 or so) whose aggression seems to keep most other birds away. It is however nice to see them as they are supposedly in decline

However in the last week we have seen greenfinch & chaffinch as regular visitors. This Easter holiday the weather has been awful with a constant easterly wind and lots of rain. Yesterday we got 2 goldfinch on the feeder for the first time ever and then 2 bullfinch appeared in the garden for the first time in a year. A male reed bunting also put in a show.To cap it all this afternoon we got a visit from a lovely male siskin. It is ironic that I was out birdwatching with my brother on Sat am and remarked that I hadn't seen anything new in the garden since a redwing in November.

Is it the easterly wind that is bringing an influx of finches at the moment or is it simply a seasonal thing or just one of those things?

Has anyone else observed a similar phenomenon?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back