• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (2 Viewers)

An NGB (Next Generation Birder) just posted pics up on a facebook page of a YBW taken at College Res (at the southern end)! Another person on another facebook page also posted up a pic of a sawbill taken from the pier at Church Street. Pics are tiny but it looks like it could be a female RBMerg or perhaps something more interesting.

Looks like trawling the internet has produced some good local birds! :eat:

Interesting! Got a link? It was pretty miserable weather-wise on our visit, so don't recall any passerines much, excepting a few brief views down by the waters edge.

Also popped into town myslef mid-afternoon, but didn't see any blackreds this end, despite taking a detour via Marlborough.

Presume the local Scaup will get picked up on the WeBS counts this weekend, if not -

http://www.bto.org/news-events/news/2015-01/scaup-and-swans-weekend

Interesting! Got a link? It was pretty miserable weather-wise on our visit, so don't recall any passerines much, excepting a few brief views down by the waters edge.

Also popped into town myslef mid-afternoon, but didn't see any blackreds this end, despite taking a detour via Marlborough.

Presume the local Scaup will get picked up on the WeBS counts this weekend, if not -

http://www.bto.org/news-events/news/2015-01/scaup-and-swans-weekend

This link might work
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=cecd885d8dbb97e196b7f8f86236ecc1&oe=552BC8C3

Was going to mention that Scaup survey to you when we do the WeBS count. If we do make it this weekend visiting College Res and Swanpool should definitely be on the cards.

Back out patching with Dan once again. :)

Stithians Res:

Slav Grebe, 13 Snipe (7 in the southern cutoff, 6 in the northern cutoff), 1 Peregrine, 1-2 Ringed Plover (need to check pics to see if 2 separate sightings are of different individuals). Wildfowl include double figures of Wigeon, Tufted Duck and Canada Geese. Also 6 fem. Goldeneye, 1 Little Egret, 3 Stonechat, 1 Grey Wag, 3 Song Thrushes, 30-40 Redwing, 2 Chiffchaffs, 2 Goldcrests, 1 Water Rail, 3 Curlew, Raven (heard only) and Reed Bunting at the feeders.

College Res:

Yellow-browed Warbler showing nicely on the western bank c.200m North of wooden footbridge at the southern end. Precise location of bird here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...earchp=ids.srf&dn=834&ax=176625&ay=33327&lm=0
Also 2 drk Scaup lingering around near the island and diving regularly, 7 Goldcrest and 4 Chiffchaffs.

Last edited:
Back out patching with Dan once again. :)

Stithians Res:

Slav Grebe, 13 Snipe (7 in the southern cutoff, 6 in the northern cutoff), 1 Peregrine, 1-2 Ringed Plover (need to check pics to see if 2 separate sightings are of different individuals). Wildfowl include double figures of Wigeon, Tufted Duck and Canada Geese. Also 6 fem. Goldeneye, 1 Little Egret, 3 Stonechat, 1 Grey Wag, 3 Song Thrushes, 30-40 Redwing, 2 Chiffchaffs, 2 Goldcrests, 1 Water Rail, 3 Curlew, Raven (heard only) and Reed Bunting at the feeders.

College Res:

Yellow-browed Warbler showing nicely on the western bank c.200m North of wooden footbridge at the southern end. Precise location of bird here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...earchp=ids.srf&dn=834&ax=176625&ay=33327&lm=0
Also 2 drk Scaup lingering around near the island and diving regularly, 7 Goldcrest and 2 Chiffchaffs.

Birding is Life Though ... ;)

I've updated the Stithians blog of the part spent birding there (although didn't concentrate too highly on counts as the WeBS was y'day) - http://stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ . Think the Ringed Plover was just one, allowing for lighting, but I'll try and post both up later.

Think we had 4 Chiffs at College in the end?

The Yellow-browed was very nice - easy to find and a patch tick, so no complaints there. We also bumped into Fishybarry and his mate (otters - that was what it was now!)

Another enjoyable read, nice one! :t:

It was indeed 4 Chiffs, couldn't quite remember whilst I was writing it all down, was just going to rely on you picking up any of my mistakes.

Also 6+ Bullfinches around the fields at Treverva.

PS.
Birding is Life Though ... ;)
That's the assumption I'm running on

Another enjoyable read, nice one! :t:

It was indeed 4 Chiffs, couldn't quite remember whilst I was writing it all down, was just going to rely on you picking up any of my mistakes.

Also 6+ Bullfinches around the fields at Treverva.

PS. That's the assumption I'm running on

Cheers!

Bullfinches definitely about at the mo (I won't mention the 2 GCG's, 30 Canada Geese and 6 Teal at College though ;) )

Spoke to J St Ledger this morning - he said there were 2 Common Sandpipers on the penryn river this morning - 1 on each side, but no sign of the YB Warbler

Female-type Black Redstart on its usual route around my backgarden again. |:D| Apparently the best way to determine age to separate from 1CY male would have to include a view of the outer tail feather which should have a dark fringe and slim dark end to the shaft in young birds and a plain rufous grey in adult females. Not sure I'll be able to pick that out easily despite close views from my bedroom window.

Attachments

• Black Red.jpg
    Black Red.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 55
Spoke to J St Ledger this morning - he said there were 2 Common Sandpipers on the penryn river this morning - 1 on each side, but no sign of the YB Warbler

Update - he did manage to connect with it a bit later on. c40 Teal still in the area.

(Challenge for anyone now is catching up with both Yellow-broweds in the area on the same day.)

Unexpected garden tick this morning - 3 Raven flying over the middle of town.

Hit the lizard this morning, highlights -

Lizard Point - 1 Black Redstart

Coverack - 1 juv Glaucous Gull

Helston Boating Lake - 19 Shoveler, 1 Whooper Swan

Helston Sewage Works - 25+ Chiffchaff, 2 Siberian Chiffchaff, 1 Firecrest, 1 Merlin over

Helston Loe Pool - 4 Shoveler, 43 Pochard, 6 Goosander, 7 Great Crested Grebe, 1 juv Glaucous Gull, 2 Sparrowhawk

Attachments

• 100_4472-crop.JPG
    100_4472-crop.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_4475-crop1.JPG
    100_4475-crop1.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_4489-crop1.JPG
    100_4489-crop1.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_4497-crop.JPG
    100_4497-crop.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 100_4509-crop2.JPG
    100_4509-crop2.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 46
Playing around with cropping the photos - not always necessarily the best idea though!

1,2 - Glaucous Gull
3- Goosander
4- Glaucous Gull (Loe Pool)
5 - Shoveler

6- 9 Siberian Chiffchaff(s)
10 - Glaucous Gull (better crop?)

Attachments

• 100_4522-crop.JPG
    100_4522-crop.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_4529-crop.JPG
    100_4529-crop.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_4532.JPG
    100_4532.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_4539-crop1.JPG
    100_4539-crop1.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_4475-crop.JPG
    100_4475-crop.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Total of 3 birds visited my garden today. 1 Mipit, 1 Herring Gull and the usual female type Black Redstart.

Another Black Redstart reported on Norfolk Road.

Total of 3 birds visited my garden today. 1 Mipit, 1 Herring Gull and the usual female type Black Redstart.

Another Black Redstart reported on Norfolk Road.

Getting ready for the 'Big Garden Birdwatch' this weekend? (Or 'Little Garden Birdwatch'? ;) )

Black Redstart from mine today too (Florence Place - after not seeing it for a week). Alerted by a head appearing above the roof tiles which turned out to be a Song Thrush, but there was a blackred a few feet away too.

Stithians - 7 Shoveler, 70 Wigeon, 95 Canada Geese, 39 Teal, 1 Goldeneye etc (too choppy to discern if the slav was there). 2 Reed Bunting, Great Spotted Woodpecker and 2 Reed Buntings by the feeders.

Last edited:
That Black Red was still in my back garden again today...

... snap. (Beacon Road and Florence Place if you're reading this Tony ;) )

Nice male photographed along the beach y'day too I believe ... one day will do a proper survey of town for these and Blackcap perhaps ... or perhaps not.

Nice one on the Red Admirals too.

... snap. (Beacon Road and Florence Place if you're reading this Tony ;) )

Nice male photographed along the beach y'day too I believe ... one day will do a proper survey of town for these and Blackcap perhaps ... or perhaps not.

Nice one on the Red Admirals too.

Male Black Red in Berkeley Cottages 330pm.

Hope you boys had a great day!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back