• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D7500 - new Nikon DSLR (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

The D7500 is now official, it's not supposed to be a D7200 replacement (the D7200 will remain on the market from what I understand) but more like a budget D500 perhaps?

"* The D7500 is fast enough to keep pace with the quickest athletes or animals; capable of shooting at up to 8 frames-per-second (fps) with full AF/AE, with an expanded buffer of up to 50 RAW/NEF (14-bit lossless compressed) or 100 JPEG images.
* Nikon’s proven 51-point AF system covers a large portion of the frame. A Group-Area AF function has been added, which is a preferred focus mode for those shooting fast action"

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9743513906/nikon-announces-midrange-d7500-dslr

Limiting factors vs D500: only 1 card slot and no battery grip will be available...

Last edited:
If that card slot would support UHS-II... but no.

Still, with 8fps, a 50-shots buffer and a fast card (e.g. Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB) it is pretty much unlimited shooting. Not much of a restriction in practice.

If that card slot would support UHS-II... but no.

Still, with 8fps, a 50-shots buffer and a fast card (e.g. Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB) it is pretty much unlimited shooting. Not much of a restriction in practice.

You might be right about speed. Would 4k video benefit from UHS-II?

Dual cards would be nice for safety/backup though. Only a single card slot makes the camera feel less PRO to me at least.

Lack of external battterygrip will make it harder to use with larger lenses.
(But perhaps the inherent grip is better than on D7200, it's said to be a bit deeper)

Maybe this cam is intended for videographers shooting to an external recording unit but I'm a bit confused on what Nikon's intention with this camera is. Videographers don't seem to like excessive amount of crop in video mode.

D7500 price is not very far from what the D500 costs around here right now and quite more expensive than the D7200.

To me either the D500 or the D7200 would be better buys.

D7500 is not available until June so not much to worry about right now though...B :)

Last edited:
I'll be upgrading from my D7100 but when I do so it will be to the D500 for one simple reason - the AF should be way superior to the D7500.

Come on guys,this is Nikon giving with one hand and taking away with the other, yes i am a Nikon fan.

Getting D500 specs for less money would be a bit surprising.;)
Nikon might be trying to compete with the latest mirrorless models with the D7500. Smaller lighter, faster, 4k etc.

Getting D500 specs for less money would be a bit surprising.;)
Nikon might be trying to compete with the latest mirrorless models with the D7500. Smaller lighter, faster, 4k etc.

They should just make one then with the 1 series focusing,i think that would put the cat amongst the pigeons as they say.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back