• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Almost did a full circuit from 1200hrs onwards

Castle beach with JSL and Jon Irvine
Med Gull
Stonechat m
Whimbrel x2
Curlew
Turnstone x10
Oystercatcher x 15
Kestrel m sitting on rocks towards the cafe alarming the Ripits and Pied Wags

Pendennis Point
2 GN diver close into Little Dennis, a further 6 diver sp. towards Black Rock. Great close-up views.
Razorbill
Purple Sandpiper x2
Gannet x2
Gbb Gull

Gorrangorras

Greenshank
Teal x8
Redshank x20
Curlew x 10
Mute Swan x 5

Greenbank Gardens

Common Sandpiper
Oystercatcher x3
Redshank
Auk sp towards POW pier

Last edited:
Almost a full days birding on patch where I saw at least 8 birders enjoying the sun. Never seen so many enthusiasts on patch before!

Swanpool:

2 ad. Med Gulls

offshore between Pennance and Pendennis Point:

1 Red-necked Grebe still
3+ BTDs
3+GNDs

Castle Beach:

There was a torrential downpour of hail just as I arrived at Castle Beach but it soon cleared up before I worked my way down to the shore.

I spent quiet a while photographing the Stonechat pair and eventually located the Black Redstart. Lots of Rock Pipits and Pied Wagtails feeding on the masses of flies rising up from the seaweed (plenty hiding down the back of my neck for safety). 1 Whimbrel and a douzen or so Turnstone were also kicking about.

Bumped into JSL who kindly informed me of 4 Purple Sands at Pendennis, my next stop for the day.

Pendennis Point:

Checked the Carrick Roads as thouroughly as I could and ended with a full scan clocking up a minimum total of 26 GNDs! Little Pendennis rewarded with the 4 Purple Sands as I had hoped and some more seawatching little other than Kittiwakes, Fulmar and regular GNDs cropping up into my field of view.

Falmouth Docks:

Very few gulls on the roofs but some dotted about on the smaller buildings (only Herring and GBBGulls as far as I was aware). 1 GND also venturing into the harbour.

Falmouth Bay:

Checked the bay on my way back again despite more rain and a bit of hail but there were still good numbers of birds offshore. 17 BTDs was an impressive total, given that their numbers have been dwindling as the month has progressed. Also 12+ GNDs and 1 Slav Grebe.

In all, a diver filled day! Nearly sick of 'em 8-P

Almost a full days birding on patch where I saw at least 8 birders enjoying the sun. Never seen so many enthusiasts on patch before!

Swanpool:

2 ad. Med Gulls

offshore between Pennance and Pendennis Point:

1 Red-necked Grebe still
3+ BTDs
3+GNDs

Castle Beach:

There was a torrential downpour of hail just as I arrived at Castle Beach but it soon cleared up before I worked my way down to the shore.

I spent quiet a while photographing the Stonechat pair and eventually located the Black Redstart. Lots of Rock Pipits and Pied Wagtails feeding on the masses of flies rising up from the seaweed (plenty hiding down the back of my neck for safety). 1 Whimbrel and a douzen or so Turnstone were also kicking about.

Bumped into JSL who kindly informed me of 4 Purple Sands at Pendennis, my next stop for the day.

Pendennis Point:

Checked the Carrick Roads as thouroughly as I could and ended with a full scan clocking up a minimum total of 26 GNDs! Little Pendennis rewarded with the 4 Purple Sands as I had hoped and some more seawatching little other than Kittiwakes, Fulmar and regular GNDs cropping up into my field of view.

Falmouth Docks:

Very few gulls on the roofs but some dotted about on the smaller buildings (only Herring and GBBGulls as far as I was aware). 1 GND also venturing into the harbour.

Falmouth Bay:

Checked the bay on my way back again despite more rain and a bit of hail but there were still good numbers of birds offshore. 17 BTDs was an impressive total, given that their numbers have been dwindling as the month has progressed. Also 12+ GNDs and 1 Slav Grebe.

In all, a diver filled day! Nearly sick of 'em 8-P

Certainly was Diver City out there yesterday!!

Certainly was Diver City out there yesterday!!

Isn't that a pop group or something?

Spent Sunday in bed/at home unfortunately myself. Just popped out to get some supplies.

Gorrangorras -

Redshank 20+
Curlew 10+
Oystercatcher 3
Whimbrel 1
Sandwich Tern 1
BH Gull 12
LBBGull 3
Teal 10+
Greenshank
Mute Swan 16

etc

With regard to human shopping demographics, Lidl's was heaving whereas Sainsbury's as quiet as a rather quiet place. I'm sure that would have been the opposite even 12 months ago.

Last edited:
Diver numbers still climbing...

35+ Black-throated Divers off of Castle Beach at 2pm plus a few GND. Attached a photo of a group of 31.

Didn't do a full count as just rushed out with my camera to get some shots and forgot my binoculars! Black Redstart, Grey Wagtail and Redshank also present on the rocks.

Attachments

• Black-throated Divers.jpg
    Black-throated Divers.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 54

35+ Black-throated Divers off of Castle Beach at 2pm plus a few GND. Attached a photo of a group of 31.

Didn't do a full count as just rushed out with my camera to get some shots and forgot my binoculars! Black Redstart, Grey Wagtail and Redshank also present on the rocks.

Top-notch pic Jono!

Great photo!!

Still loads of divers off Castle/Gylly/Swanpool at 1700hrs: Diver MegaCity One!!

GN Diver x3 close in to shore, one swimming with a BT Diver which made a nice comparison between the two. 3 Slav Grebes were diving just beyond these two showing just how small they are.

Redshank, Oystercatcher x 5, Turnstone and Curlew on Castle beach.

Pendennis Point had 3 GN Divers close in and a Purple Sandpiper

Last edited:
Nope...seen the pair on and off through the winter

Just checked back through the thread - your report from the 11th Jan the only one of 2 birds at Castle since early Dec at least. But they do range ...

Some nice birds about today, should have texted as was also out this afternoon, looks like you did ok though ;)

Headed out around 3:30 this afternoon. Swanpool quiet apart from the commoner gulls. Met up with Samuel and Matt by the beach.
Med Gull with 10BH Gulls at Swanpool Point, also 3 Ringed Plover and 5+ Turnstone. A bit of a scan, but soon headed off towards Castle, stopped in one of the shelters near Tunnel Beach. Lots of Divers out there, and after 1 Red-necked Grebe they just kept coming ... had to keep scanning back to make sure the original ones still present, which they were ... Final tally (around 5:30pm) -

Falmouth Bay
-

27 BT Diver (most in two flocks of c.11 and 10)
7+ GN Diver
12 Diver sp. (mostly distant towards Maenporth though)
6 Red-necked Grebe
2 Slav Grebe
15 Guillemot
2 Razorbill
c.200 Shag
1 Curlew

Seeing 1 and then 2 Slav Grebes almost as an afterthought fairly close off Castle - Simon's 3, but unfort can only count max of 2 ourselves! All RN Grebes were mid-range to fairly distant between Pendennis and Tunnel Beach. Also a few Gannets out there, the usual 1000's of large gulls roosting on the sea, and a few Kittiwakes feeding out there too.

Last edited:
Just checked back through the thread - your report from the 11th Jan the only one of 2 birds at Castle since early Dec at least. But they do range ...

Some nice birds about today, should have texted as was also out this afternoon, looks like you did ok though ;)

Ah yes...you're quite right..just checked through my records and the 11th Jan is the only time I've seen the pair..;)

Really good mini session after work...will text just in case next time.

You must have been at Tunnel when I was at Castle...dang. Would have been nice to see the RN Grebes thru your scope :)

Last edited:
Stunning shot of the divers Jono!

Thanks Samuel, Simon and Jon. I've now had a chance to look through the rest of the photos so here is another one below. There were 34 BTD in the last few photos I took(!) plus 1 GND swimming past at the top. There were another 2 BTD just behind this group, so definitely at least 36 BTD, almost getting up to Dan's mega-total of 38 from the Christmas period, and I'm pretty sure there may have been a few more out towards Swanpool.

Jono

Attachments

• Black-throated Divers 2r.jpg
    Black-throated Divers 2r.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 46
yep cracking shots indeed of course ;)

Can't recall if I posted or it was just in conversation, but I think 45 were recorded in Gerrans Bay before christmas, so a way to go yet. In any case it is really nice to be able to see/enjoy spectacles like this locally tbh.

Extremely quick patrol at Castle Beach after work..freezing and heavy wintry showers...brrrrrrrr

GN Diver x 3 quite close in
BT Diver x8 bit further out
Gannet x2
Guillemot being bombed by a GBB Gull...it survived and reappeared 25 metres away. I presume a GBB Gull would take an Auk no probs. It dived on it from quite a height.
Oystercatcher x 10

Last edited:
Lovely day, out for a few hours seawatch this morning. Nothing out of the ordinary unfortunately.

Pendennis -

Kittiwakes and Gannets passing by close in when I arrived, good numbers of Kittiwakes (most ads) west continuously, Razorbills and Guillemots a few on the sea and passing by, Fulmars too. BT Diver and 2+ GN Diver on the sea, and local Whimbrel past.

Headed around to Swanpool (windsurfer at Gylly Beach), 5+ BT Diver on the sea there, Kittiwakes still etc.

Nice thunderstorm c.11pm last night, thunder and lightning always nice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back