• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Staying on the deportation theme, releasing news so early has consequences :)

...do please remember you're in Cornwall ... er, you, know 'When in Rome, ...'.

On which note ... a bit of minor suppression from yesterday ;)

Gorrangorras - 4 Greenshank, 6 Turnstone, 4 Little Egrets etc.

(Ironically because we were up in Exeter for the day to visit the grandparents)

Just a smattering of Gylly today (13:30-15:00):

4x Guillemot (3x winter plum, 1x summer plum)
3x razorbill
1xGND -Seen fishing about 500m from shore.
c.26 Shag bobbing around
1x Cormorant
1x Little Egret
3 x GBB Gull
1x Adult Kittiwake
1x Adult Gannet
1x Grey wagtail
Herring and BH gull left uncounted...

Last edited:
Seawatching from the Hooked Cafe at Swanpool:

14 Black-throated Divers (unfortunately didn't manage to see the sum plum bird)
4 Great Northern Divers
1 RED-THROATED DIVER drifting eastwards past Pendennis and towards St Anthoney's Head :king:
couple of Razorbills
Curlew

Dan got down just in time to see the RTD before heading over to Swanpool:

adult GLAUCOUS GULL resting on the pool with HGs, washing itself and leaving at 17:15. It was only present for a couple mins before it flew offshore, around Penannce Point presumably to roost with the other c.3000 HGs

We checked the gull roost from Swanpool Point next:

no sign of the Glauc but still good numbers of gulls worth checking through. A Peregrine flew low through the flock and caused a little bit of agitation and an adult Med Gull was amongst the BhGulls.

Seems I need to improve my manual focusing skill regarding the dodgy Glauc pics and I'm not sure I'll win photographer of the year award with that RTD record shot 8-P

Attachments

• DSC_41831.jpg
    DSC_41831.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_41811.jpg
    DSC_41811.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC03663.jpg
    DSC03663.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03664.jpg
    DSC03664.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 32
Yep, some nice birds this evening ;)

Just hit it right, finally, with the Glaucous having a quick wash on Swanpool. (Quite possibly the Iceland reported elsewhere?). And although distant, views about par for the course so far for the 2 or 3 RT's this winter!

From Swanpool Point I managed a max count of 20 BTDiver and 9 GNDiver towards dusk, but numbers seem to definitely have dropped a little.

Walked from Mylor Churchtown to Penarrow Point yesterday morning 1000hrs

Not a lot going on...

GN Diver
3 Little Grebe
8 House Sparrow lurking in the quay wall
Greenfinch
5 Shag
Curlew
Song Thrush
10 Woodpigeon in fields
20 BH Gull

A relatively early start seawatching from the Hooked Cafe. Soon realised the wind was blowing with a decent force and direction so I ended up heading down to Penannce Point instead for the sea-watch:

Lots of Fulmar, Kittiwakes. Several BTDs and GNDs which were regularly flying between Falmouth and Maenporth Bay (didn't count them as I was more focused on the distant stuff). Also a trickle of Gannets, and Guillemots. Not as much as I had hoped so gave up which is when the adult Glauc flew directly past me at the headland! It's probably the individual that's been hanging around the Falmouth area.

Back at Swanpool, 1 adult Kittiwake popped in (landing on the pool briefly before leaving 5 mins later) and 1 3rd winter Med Gull.

Attachments

• DSC_1.jpg
    DSC_1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4230.JPG
    DSC_4230.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_4705.jpg
    DSC_4705.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 33
Anyone happen to know why the trees at the northern end of Swanvale have been felled? They seemed perfectly healthy to me and I don't think they all blew over during the storm surely?!

Attachments

• 20140223_082951.jpg
    20140223_082951.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 30
3 Eider (1m + 2f) 400 metres off of Falmouth Hotel this morning at 08:30. 10+ Black-throated Diver, 2 Great Northern Diver and more out towards Maenporth, 1 Med Gull past.

3 Eider (1m + 2f) 400 metres off of Falmouth Hotel this morning at 08:30. 10+ Black-throated Diver, 2 Great Northern Diver and more out towards Maenporth, 1 Med Gull past.

Not been out birding too much just recently, did pop out around 10, but no sign and nothing extra to report (ok there were 4 GND's just off Castle Beach). Doesn't mean they weren't there as the sun was strong and it was choppy and I didn't have long, but guessing they were moving on. Guessing these could well be the 3 birds that had been in the Carrick Roads for a few months ...

Today -

quick look at the reservoirs. Quiet.

College Res

3 GCGrebes
12 Canada Goose
1 Goldeneye
No Wigeon
3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls
1 GBBGull

Back home and saw a Black Redstart flying over Wodehouse Terrace as I walked down the garden.

Not been out birding too much just recently, did pop out around 10, but no sign and nothing extra to report (ok there were 4 GND's just off Castle Beach). Doesn't mean they weren't there as the sun was strong and it was choppy and I didn't have long, but guessing they were moving on. Guessing these could well be the 3 birds that had been in the Carrick Roads for a few months ...

Today -

quick look at the reservoirs. Quiet.

College Res

3 GCGrebes
12 Canada Goose
1 Goldeneye
No Wigeon
3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls
1 GBBGull

Back home and saw a Black Redstart flying over Wodehouse Terrace as I walked down the garden.

Had a very quick patrol after work 1630hrs yesterday.

Firstly at Dan's fav haunt Swanpool Point (funny cafe thing)
2 BT Diver
Guillemot
Shags

Castle Beach
12 Diver sp (probs BT Diver) in a tight flock heading towards Swanpool
10 BH Gull

Out late this afternoon -

Swanpool Point (yep, gives a good view of the bay ;) )

38+ BT Diver
10+ GN Diver
10+ Guillemot
2 Razorbill
50+ shag
10 Gannet

Headed around to Pendennis, where there were an additional

11 GNDivers in the Carrick Roads
1 BT Diver
1 Med Gull

Then on to Gorrangorras for high tide -

c.50 Curlew
40+ Redshnk
3 Greenshank
5 Little Egret
15 Mute Swan
5+ Mallard
10+ Teal
2 Little Grebe

The divers hadn't really finished flocking up for the roost (main flock of 20+ were still diving out beyond Pennace Point), but I didn't attempt to do a last count or check the gull roost.

Last edited:
Then on to Gorrangorras for high tide -

c.50 Curlew
40+ Redshnk
3 Greenshank
5 Little Egret
15 Mute Swan
5+ Mallard
10+ Teal
2 Little Grebe

Forgot I had a look at Gorrangorras again this evening whilst the girlfriend was spending an inordinate age (and money) in Sainsbury's.

Pretty much exactly the same birds, although there were 6 Little Egrets instead this time and the Redshank were spelt differently.

Black Guillemot again 400-500m off of Tunnel Beach at 09:30. Nice one for the house list, thanks for the heads up yesterday Dan! 24+ Black-throated Divers.

Yesterday afternoon in the lower back lane of Berkeley Cottages!

Fem Sparrowhawk with a Woodpigeon kill munching for about half an hour. Successfully staving off the attendant Magpies.

Fem type Black Redstart.

Would love to bag one of they Black Guillemots! I'll have a look this PM.

Last edited:
Any Green Woodpeckers seen or heard around Falmouth recently? Still need one for my County and year lists to save myself an expensive trip to East Anglia where they are much more plentiful.

Cheers.

Any Green Woodpeckers seen or heard around Falmouth recently? Still need one for my County and year lists to save myself an expensive trip to East Anglia where they are much more plentiful.

Cheers.

Myself and Samuel have seen and heard Green Woodpeckers regularly in the cemetery above Swanpool (on the east side) this year. Not been past in the last few weeks, but imagine birds should be more vocal now. They're also about in the countryside at large.

(You do appreciate there are lots of other birds you can also see in East Anglia? ;) )

Black Guillemot again 400-500m off of Tunnel Beach at 09:30. Nice one for the house list, thanks for the heads up yesterday Dan! 24+ Black-throated Divers.

Passing the info on, having been told myself. Nice one. A rather smart bird, realised it was actually an England tick!

I'm away in France till nearly the end of the month. Just hoping I don't miss too much ...

Cheers.

Agree with Dan...there's usually a few around Swanpool Cemetary.

I've heard some yaffling at Unity Woods/Killifreth near Scorrier this year as well.

Myself and Samuel have seen and heard Green Woodpeckers regularly in the cemetery above Swanpool (on the east side) this year. Not been past in the last few weeks, but imagine birds should be more vocal now. They're also about in the countryside at large.

(You do appreciate there are lots of other birds you can also see in East Anglia? ;) )

Thanks, been to the area several times over the years not just for Green Woodpecker! Lesser Spotted is high on my list "to see" but no luck anywhere so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back