• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

So out and about a bit today, quick look at the main sites.

Argal Res -

9 Great Crested Grebes
2 Mute Swan
2 Mallard
1 Tufted Duck

College Res
-

3 Great Crested Grebe
7 Coot
4 Moorhen
2 Mallard
5 Tufted Duck
1 Goldeneye
3 Grey Heron
50 Herring Gull
3 LBBGull
2 GBBGull
10 Sand Martin

Gorrangorras - approaching high tide

15 Redshank
4 Greenshank
1 Common Sandpiper
5 Turnstone
2 Little Egret
c.15 Mute Swan

Pendennis -

1 Gannet
2 Linnet on the point

Castle Beach
-

1 Black Redstart f
5+ Oystercatcher

Falmouth Bay -

1 Red-necked Grebe
2 Black-throated Diver
2 Mute Swan flew east

Wood Lane -

2 Sparrowhawk mf

edit-

That's a lot of Great Crested Grebes!! Major highlight at Swanpool a few hours later - I'll let Samuel do the honours ...

Last edited:
Major highlight at Swanpool a few hours later - I'll let Samuel do the honours ...

Sneaky way to get me to start commenting on the thread again :t:

Started the day by seawatching from Pennance Point and had my eye glued to the eyepiece of my scope solidly for at least an hour. The split second I looked up this stunner flew straight past my face!!! :eek!::eek!::eek!:

It took a couple seconds for it to soak in but I soon legged it down to Swanpool where I saw it land on the pool briefly. Called Dan and JSL although only the former made it on time to see it flying around the Bay before we lost it.

Slav Grebe was also off Swanpool Point and a Sandwich Tern was distantly offshore.

I spent a while at the docks checking the gull roost until it got too dark and although there were good numbers sat on the roofs, I didn't find anything of particular note amongst the HGs and GBBGs.

Attachments

• March 2014 (246).jpg
    March 2014 (246).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 51
A few more updates to come but a bit busy with deadlines at the mo.

Found a couple Mallards in weird places last Friday and Sunday. A bit weird to see at least 4 Mallards feeding and resting in the surf zone off Castle Beach and it was the first time I've ever knowingly seen a pair of Mallard in Swanvale!

As I said when we met up on Castle the other nite..I saw 9 Mallard at high tide at the beach bobbing around feeding about 2 weeks ago :t:

PS saw a male Pheasant on the cliffs at Mullion on Sat!!

Yesterday on the way back from the Lizard -

Argal Res -

12 Great Crested Grebe!!

College Res -

4 Great Crested Grebe
3 Goldeneye f type
other wildfowl much as previous visit
2 Willow Warbler singing
Blackcap Singing
(Chiffchaffs singing)
Kingfisher

Last edited:
Today (31st)

Pendennis -

2 Linnet
1 Wheatear
3 Chiffchaff
1 Blackcap

(first two around the point, second two further inland)

Falmouth Bay -

1 Black Guillemot (c.400 yards off Gylly Beach, preening, unaged but progressing into summer plumage)
1 Slavonian Grebe
1 Red-necked Grebe
4 distant auk sps west
Gannets west
1 GNDiver
2 BTDiver
10+ Shag

Walked around Swanpool, nothing unusual/new.

Today 1630hrs Swanpool cemetary
2 Green Woodpecker - one on gravestone then flew up to a tree, other heard

1900hrs Pendennis Point
Male Wheatear on Little Dennis
2 Shag
Auk sp

just seen a friends pic of the dodgy Scaup thing at College Res (taken only last Saturday, the same day we checked but failed to see it on our way back from Lizard!). Looks to be progressing nicely into sum plum so its worth keeping an eye out for it if anyone's up there again soon.

Nice one! :t: Did it look any similar to the 1st win in #1458?

Not really! (I already checked on your blog ;) )

A week or so later, it could have advanced in that time, but I'm guessing not ... not a bad year for them!

(It was about 1km away though - I was on Pendennis and it was halfway across to Swanpool - it had a much darker grey head/neck etc as opposed to pale, actually almost off-black, too far to scrutinise much more though.)

Last edited:
Out first thing hoping for some grounded migrants in the fog - that was a laugh. 2 Blackbirds on Falmouth golfcourse the only birds I actually saw there. (Although I did hear Sandwich Terns down below me somewhere). 1 Sparrowhawk on Pennance Point.

2 Sandwich Terns (same) then at Swanpool Beach.
Absolutely astounded to see 5 Mallard at Castle Beach - including 2 very plastic ones - I really should have phoned them in to RBA. Pendennis quiet apart from the 2 Linnets. Oh, and another 2 Mallard :eek!:

Gorrangorras too late for the high tide roost, but I did see -

1 Redshank
2 Greenshank
1 Oystercatcher
2 Little Grebe
5 Mute Swan
2 Shelduck, mf

A brief scan of the 2 reservoirs didn't reveal any visible hirundines, but Peregrine over near Treverva.

(Kite sp. reported by Samuel from the train leaving Penryn (?) the other day ... )

Last edited:
I'm afraid I have to report that was an April fool

Sorry ;)

Well ... I fell for it ;)

But was I bothered ... ???!!! No. Crumbs, I just thought, oh well ... far too relaxed about this birding melarkey!

(And the first time someone tried to AprilFool me since my kid brother put salt in my tea instead of sugar a long time ago!)

Well ... I fell for it ;)

But was I bothered ... ???!!! No. Crumbs, I just thought, oh well ... far too relaxed about this birding melarkey!

(And the first time someone tried to AprilFool me since my kid brother put salt in my tea instead of sugar a long time ago!)

Glad it didn't worry you too much :-O

It will happen again next year ;)

Grey Plover flew off from Pendennis Point this morning. An attempted seawatch in the SSE with poorish visibility produced 3 Shag, 1 Fulmar and 3 Sandwich Terns in twenty minutes. 6 Linnets around the car park.

A look at College and Argal for new migrants this morning wasn't particularly successful, but -

Argal Res -

4 GCGrebe

College Res -

2 GCGrebe
2 Goldeneye (f)
1 Scaup m
8 Tufted Duck
11 Coot
etc
6 Jay (together)
Chiff, Willow and Blackcaps singing away
2 Bullfinch

The Scaup was at the far end, so no pics unfort, but it looked to be a fairly standard bird - greenish tint to head, silver grey back with distal third going into smoky grey, off-white flank sides ...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back