• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Gull or Ring Billed (1 Viewer)

rosbifs

PutAin STOP
Ukraine
Whilst on the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry we had a short stop at Roscoff. At which point a Ring Billed Gull flew past - basically a stocky Common Gull with a very stout bill (almost looked out of proportion) and a Black mark towards the end. Ok enough for me but not enough for a records commitee (rightly so). I failed to get any pictures but did go and fetch my camera and then stay on deck most of the day!

About an half an hour after leaving Roscoff I got this fellow at some distance.

Someone is going to tell me its a nailed on 1st year Common Gull but I only have collins to go by. For instance, for the Ring Billed it says need the wing panel - which where how what? The back seems very plain and grey to me - shouldn't the Common Gull have some brown on the shoulders. At the time I was struck by how light the wings appeared (almost like a Sabines - alhtough that isn't reflected in the photos) - through bins.

Anyway, I thought i would pass it over to the Gull experts and I look forward to being educated!

Attachments

• gull 1.JPG
    gull 1.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 164
  • gull 2.JPG
    gull 2.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 92
  • gull 3.JPG
    gull 3.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 96
  • gull 4.JPG
    gull 4.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 73
  • gull 5.JPG
    gull 5.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 66
I think it is a First winter Common Gull. You would be very brave to claim a Ring-billed on your fly-by description. You don't say what age it was but many immature Common Gulls have a sub-terminal black mark on the bill reminiscent of Ring-billed, and indeed 2nd year Herring Gulls too

I am very far from a gull expert, but one thing to do is to check the underwing pattern against similarly aged RbGulls. For the record, I am not optimistic you are right.

Niels

This photo was not the same bird as the one I saw in port. I do have some underwing of this bird though....

I had to thought 1st year common but I could ldnt reconcile with Collins. Hence the question what should I be looking for to confirm id..

I won't be submissive ting any records as I said not enough.

This photo was not the same bird as the one I saw in port. I do have some underwing of this bird though....

I had to thought 1st year common but I could ldnt reconcile with Collins. Hence the question what should I be looking for to confirm id..

I won't be submissive ting any records as I said not enough.

Link to a good article/blog on separating Common and Ring-billed Gulls, with check-list of key features and comparison photos: https://gullstothehorizon.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/ring-billed-gulls-vs-common-gulls-comparison-from-a-dutch-perspective-201402/

Underwing is variable in both sp. so of little value, especially at this distance.

I'm a little confused by your 1st post. You said the earlier bird you saw was a Ring-billed Gull, yet also said you weren't sure of the features to check to confirm an ID as Ring-billed? If that's the case then how can you be sure it wasn't just a robustly built Common Gull, or perhaps even a small Herring Gull?

Last edited:
Link to a good article/blog on separating Common and Ring-billed Gulls, with check-list of key features and comparison photos: https://gullstothehorizon.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/ring-billed-gulls-vs-common-gulls-comparison-from-a-dutch-perspective-201402/

Underwing is variable in both sp. so of little value, especially at this distance.

I'm a little confused by your 1st post. You said the earlier bird you saw was a Ring-billed Gull, yet also said you weren't sure of the features to check to confirm an ID as Ring-billed? If that's the case then how can you be sure it wasn't just a robustly built Common Gull, or perhaps even a small Herring Gull?

Brilliant website. Working my way through it.

As for the first bird - I had the impression that it had a classic bill for Ring Billed - it flew past at eye level and within 10 metres. I instantly thought Ring Billed. Its like you know the difference in bill shape of Black Headed and Med Gull or Audouins and Yellow Legged. I phoned my Dad and described it and he then read back the Collins (mine was in the cabin with my camera - so I didn't have any other reference in the moment).

Yes I know there are other factors which I wouldn't have had much idea in that moment.

As I also said I wouldn't have enough to pass any examination. Does that make sense?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back