• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawkmoth caterpillar N Devon (1 Viewer)

Jon Turner

Sadly the Caterpillar isn't in the photo! Sorry. But it is a small Willow tree that has had many of it's leaves pretty much completely eaten. I may of course be completely wrong (it won't be the first time!) but it certainly has a prodigious appetite, and looking up which Hawkmoths eat Willow, I came up with Lime. Anyone care to comment?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• hawkmoth.jpg
    hawkmoth.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 103
Without seeing it we can't assume it's a hawkmoth though Poplar Hawkmoth would feed on sallows as would Puss Moth and many other moth species.

Why do you think it's a Hawkmoth Jon if you haven't seen it?

A

Just the amount it had eaten! There must have been at least a dozen of these small branches with most of the leaves decimated. Surely some big beast?!! However, I bow to anyone with the definitive answer (please)!

Without seeing it we can't assume it's a hawkmoth though Poplar Hawkmoth would feed on sallows as would Puss Moth and many other moth species.

I'll have another look today - it's in my daughter's garden - to see if it has continued the assault.

Thanks for the pointers though.

Perhaps even Willow Sawfly. It looks more like the sort of damage done by their larvae.

Last edited:
Right, took a close look earlier, and a couple of leaves had a number of small holes in them. Turning them over I see a whole lot of tiny green caterpillars! My camera doesn't do close ups of v small things so I'll go down again in a couple of days and try to get a pic when they get a bit bigger.

I therefore wish to withdraw my original bad identification of it being a Hawkmoth!

So, does this help with identification? Or will it have to wait for pictures?

Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:
Right, took a close look earlier, and a couple of leaves had a number of small holes in them. Turning them over I see a whole lot of tiny green caterpillars! My camera doesn't do close ups of v small things so I'll go down again in a couple of days and try to get a pic when they get a bit bigger.

I therefore wish to withdraw my original bad identification of it being a Hawkmoth!

So, does this help with identification? Or will it have to wait for pictures?

Thanks for the help so far.

Hi Jon
Holes in leaves often indicates beetle larvae damage. Some pictures should help.
Martin

Pics at last

First pic is the upper side of the holey leaf. 2nd is the beasties underneath.

Attachments

• sawfly1.jpg
    sawfly1.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 73
  • sawfly2.jpg
    sawfly2.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 96
Still can't see much detail but I still think it's a sawfly. Some appear to show the classic ? resting posture.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back