• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

National Geographic Birds Field Guide 7th edition (1 Viewer)

:king: There are many more chances for being left without the necessary power. I can see the advantages, but they would only mean for me to go with the book PLUS the electronic version. Bird voices are definitely a great positive point.

There clearly are advantages Robert but the likes of us who just love books, will stick with convention.

I'm not particularly 'tech savvy' but my wife is so we'll probbaly end up with both too.

A

Given all this, I really don't see much of a future for the traditional printed field guide

Until the first time your beloved electronic gadget fails on a birding trip.

Coming to think about it, there is a growing number of people who would use electronics as a tool in the field and demand sturdy and damage-proof devices. However, there seems to be little for them on the market. The trend, if anything, is more fragile and short-lived electronics.

Until the first time your beloved electronic gadget fails on a birding trip.

Coming to think about it, there is a growing number of people who would use electronics as a tool in the field and demand sturdy and damage-proof devices. However, there seems to be little for them on the market. The trend, if anything, is more fragile and short-lived electronics.

Exactly so, tech is great when it's working but so many ways it can fail. What will you do if you're birding for some time in a place where you can't charge your device/s?

It's fine if you can use batteries but when you actually have to charge something, that could be an issue.

A

Exactly so, tech is great when it's working but so many ways it can fail. What will you do if you're birding for some time in a place where you can't charge your device/s?

It's fine if you can use batteries but when you actually have to charge something, that could be an issue.

A

Agree. There are many advantages to paper field guides which I don't see going away soon. I can always find a bird much more quickly in a paper guide than on a device. And paper guides are much more capable of withstanding abuse and difficult weather conditions--and much cheaper to replace if they are damaged. Plus I can fit most paper guides in a pocket; tablets are big and unwieldy.

However, in situations where you aren't going to be referring to a guide much because you already know the birds well, I can see where having a paper guide would be unnecessary simply because you won't be using it much. But for frequent reference, or if you are in a new region where you are still learning the birds, paper guides cannot yet be beat in my opinion. But my personal preference in such situations is to carry both when in the field--songs are one big reason. But I opt for the phone app for portability reasons.

Last edited:
Thanks, Rick, for this great and thorough review. I don't concur, as you may know, with your praise of following the scientific sequence though. Thus, it strikes me with some open joy that the sequence is already "outdated". In German, we call my feelings Schadenfreude. I don't know of an English equivalent.

We use the same word in English. If we don't have our own word for something, we just tend to steal it. One of the many reasons English is the most successful language on the planet ;)

Agree that it's a very useful review by Rick.

From Fugl:
Given all this, I really don't see much of a future for the traditional printed field guide, certainly not over the long term.

This does eventually become a completely different discussion: is there enough economy in birding apps if part of the development is not paid for by a printed book?

Niels

From Fugl:

This does eventually become a completely different discussion: is there enough economy in birding apps if part of the development is not paid for by a printed book?

At the moment, in these transitional times, probably not, but in the future when printed books of all kinds have been largely supplanted by E-versions read on ever more powerful and versatile mobile devices (waterproofed, solar/satellite rechargeable, foldable even, who knows what the IPad of 5, 10, 20 years from now will be capable of?), the economics will have worked itself out. In the meantime, there'll be teething problems, sure, but what else is new in the world of disruptive technology? Getting back to the here and now, for my purposes, as I've already said, doing the kind of birding that I do nowadays, I find the apps (I have all the North American ones as well as several of the European) already superior to paper books in just about every respect.

Last edited:
37 new species

Does anyone know what the 37 new species are in the 7th edition without having to go page by page and comparing to the 6th?

Does anyone know what the 37 new species are in the 7th edition without having to go page by page and comparing to the 6th?

Some will be vagrants I guess but there will be splits Like American Three-toed Woodpecker and American Barn Owl although the splits I mention, whilst they are new species, they wouldn't increase the numbers?

It will use the American Ornithology Society list so you can check that for splits.

A

Last edited:
Some will be vagrants I guess but there will be splits Like American Three-toed Woodpecker and American Barn Owl although the splits I mention, whilst they are new species, they wouldn't increase the numbers?

It will use the American Ornithology Society list so you can check that for splits.

A

American Three-toed Woodpecker has been in the last few editions (it was split quite a while ago, stateside IIRC. Barn owl has not been split by the AOS (and even then it would just be renaming...I don't think the old world form has been recorded in the States or Canada.

It's probably will be mostly vagrant seabirds/Alaskan Strays/Stuff from Mexico and the Caribbean that have appeared since the last edition, alongside whatever taxonomic splits that occurred up to 2016. I have the book on order but it should arrive Thursday, so I can maybe give you a better sense then.

American Three-toed Woodpecker has been in the last few editions (it was split quite a while ago, stateside IIRC. Barn owl has not been split by the AOS (and even then it would just be renaming...I don't think the old world form has been recorded in the States or Canada.

It's probably will be mostly vagrant seabirds/Alaskan Strays/Stuff from Mexico and the Caribbean that have appeared since the last edition, alongside whatever taxonomic splits that occurred up to 2016. I have the book on order but it should arrive Thursday, so I can maybe give you a better sense then.

Yea I figured they would mostly be splits. Just trying to update my bird log on which ones have branched out without having to dig through all the old aba supplements. Just from flipping through it a little I noticed the western scrub jay split but haven't had enough time to go through the whole thing.

I flipped through last night, and I too can't really recall all the splits that have happened since the last guide. The Scrub-Jay certainly stood out, as did Mexican Violetear. I think the Scripp's/Guadalupe Murrelet split is also new for the book

I flipped through last night, and I too can't really recall all the splits that have happened since the last guide. The Scrub-Jay certainly stood out, as did Mexican Violetear. I think the Scripp's/Guadalupe Murrelet split is also new for the book

I think the Violeteater is part of the Green Violetear split that gave us Lesser Violetear in Costa Rica.

A

£11,74

Is this 7th edition field guide basically the concise version of the second edition handbook 'Complete birds of North America' although it's only about 100 pages shorter? I do have that.

I broke, ordered it!

Anyone in the UK will find it hard to get it cheaper than this, post free too.

https://wordery.com/national-geogra...6NTliNmRjNjQ5OTUzZDkuODQ5NTYxNDg6ODdjZTMwNGM=

Edit: It's gone up by £2 since I ordered yesterday, still £17.99 on Wildsounds excl of P+P.

A

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22558327910&afn_sr=CJ&cm_ven=aff&cm_ite=cj

R.

Last edited:

Got my copy today, and I tried to get an overview of the additions/changes. But due to the rearrangements in the sequence, I had to give up after a while. Just too tedious to do it all in one session.

Nevertheless, here are some first impressions. First to the outside. There is no way to tell offhand which is the new edition if you have the books (6th and 7th) filed in the bookshelf. The spines are identical (except for a more faded but also a bit more orange look of the older edition). Also, from the front, you have to really look closely. NG seems to really love that Bald Eagle as a cover.

Well, on the inside, things look very familiar as well, but then there are these various changes as announced. Some are obvious, many others only show themselves on closer inspection. I must say, I very much like this new edition, despite the rearranged groups. One thing I very much love are the extended range maps for some pelagic species. So one gets a much better feel for where they breed and what kinds of migrations they do. So suddenly, one gets to see Hawaii, or Africa, or the European shores on some maps. I really love this broadening of the scale.

The well publicized redoing of the hummingbirds is nice as well. But there are many small improvements, such as a more typical picture of the Roadrunner, or more telling flight pictures of the two gray cranes (Sandhill and Common). Among the oddities I stumbled across so far, there is the Limpkin on the last page with the hummingbirds. Of course, the horizontal line indicates the change in scale. But in this case, things look a bit odd for several reasons. For one, the size contrast of the two groups is such that I think the birds should not be placed together. But also from the habitat and I would assume relationship, I find it hard to justify to have the Limpkin where it is now.

The majority of the plates are actually unchanged, and where there are changes, they often come from the fact that an additional illustration was added and the illustrations had to be shifted a bit to create the needed space. A good feature is the fact that splits are usually showing the old name in the text. That definitely helps to find one's way through the changes.

A completely new element, though not very obvious is that each species comes with a four-letter abbreviation, like AWPE for American White Pelican, or HEGU for Herring Gull. Might allow quicker note taking once one is sufficiently familiar with the feature.

Well abbreviations can also be tricky. I have no idea what NU stands for! To be found in the text for Ross's Gull on page 184. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Just figured it out, must be Nunavut! Thus a Canadian province. I doubt, however, that many readers can tell what it means.

Last edited:
It's never been my go to guide. I carry Sibley and Kaufman in the car at all times. One drawings, one photos.

What always bugged me about the NG was the art on warblers and sparrows. The field marks are there if you look hard, but if it is a bird you have never seen, many times the drawings just do not look right.

I love using it for shore birds and gulls. In flight pictures are good for hawks too.

I ordered some music and the price did not come over free shipping in Amazon so I added this. The B&N in store price is several dollars more.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back