• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (9 Viewers)

More local epicness on the gramps today - Mr Shrike still on the hill, in the same bush as a cracking drake Pied Fly at times. 3 Wheatear in the same area. Spotted fly in the larger trees back towards Nigg. Willow Warbler & Whitethroats in good numbers, a few Sedge Warblers in now too.

I still haven't had a gramps Chiffchaff this year! A very bizarre spring indeed!

More local epicness on the gramps today - Mr Shrike still on the hill, in the same bush as a cracking drake Pied Fly at times. 3 Wheatear in the same area. Spotted fly in the larger trees back towards Nigg. Willow Warbler & Whitethroats in good numbers, a few Sedge Warblers in now too.

Sounds great! I headed up at lunchtime (from car park next to Doonies) in hope of finding the Shrike but no luck. We maybe didn't go far enough...

Sounds great! I headed up at lunchtime (from car park next to Doonies) in hope of finding the Shrike but no luck. We maybe didn't go far enough...

It was mainly in the bushes just below the summit trig point today - yesterday was in the open area to the east. There were a pair of pissed off blue tits following it around today, which made locating it simpler!

Nice use of 'drake'!

Will there be any room for migrants if these plans come to fruition:

http://news.stv.tv/north/226287-cautious-welcome-as-artists-impression-of-300m-bay-project-revealed/

Check out the virtual fly-through.

Yeah was just reading about that in the paper. Whilst an expanded harbour would be a good thing economically, I can't say I'm keen on this proposal.

It completely trashes Nigg Bay, plus all the extra traffic on the coast road, etc. Parking cruise ships next to the sewage works - classy!

Fortunately, like most local ambitious plans, it has close to 0 chance of seeing fruition.

The Hill was back in normal devoid mode today - I couldn't find the Shrike, or any other migrants of great note, although it could have been holed up out of the wind somewhere. 2 wheatears & 3 lapwings were interesting.

I had a walk up but didn't go too far,as I was being blown about. ;);

I did have a Common Buzzard at the far east side and a Sparrowhawk,heading rapidly Into some thick trees.

The Hill was back in normal devoid mode today - I couldn't find the Shrike, or any other migrants of great note, although it could have been holed up out of the wind somewhere. 2 wheatears & 3 lapwings were interesting.

I was tempted to head back up again yesterday but the wind put me off... Shame you didn't see any noteworthy migrants.

So I was enthused enough at the prospects to set the alarm for 6am this morning. Around 30 minutes later I found myself at the Coo, with Hugh already settled in. Plenty of birds were streaming north, most of them at very close range. In amongst the commoner seabirds were regular Arctic Skuas and Bonxies. Over two hours I counted 35 Arctics and 26 Bonxies, though I know Hugh had several more of each. Seven Manx Shearwaters, 18 Red-throated Divers, 12 Common Scoters and a Whimbrel were also on the move. A winter-plumage Great Northern Diver travelled north with a Red-throat (Hugh had another earlier on).

This was all good but I was hoping for another species. About 25 minutes in I picked up a small skua coming around Greg Ness head on. It looked immediately 'different' with a neat black cap, white breast and seemingly dark belly. It was head on for a long time but eventually turned a little more sideways on, revealing long, wispy tail plumes. That was the first Long-tailed Skua of the day. Not long afterwards a group of three came through, eventually passing within a hundred metres or so of the shore - cracking. Then three more passed, this time a bit further out. Well worth setting the alarm for.

Had a walk on Tullos Hill behind the Shell office this lunchtime seeing as the sun was out, Sedge Warblers, Linnet, couple of Swifts, need confirmation of these, I thinking female Blackcap for the first 2 photos and Willow Warbler, though the eye ring is confusing me a wee bit (as all wee brown jobs do !) thanks in advance

Jim.

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 65
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 65
Top work on the Skuas, Andrew. I had a similar plan, but failed to execute it!

I watched from Doonies/Greg Ness this arvo - lots of birds still on the move but I couldn't conjure up a LTS. 8 Barnacle Geese heading north offshore were rather late. Aboot 20 Bonxie, 15 Arctic Skua and 2 manxies through. A Whimbrel was tagged on to a curlew flock roaming Doonies & the landfill cap.

I managed another hour of seawatching this evening. No Long-tailed Skuas this time. Two more were reported by others this morning, so I guess that's nine through during the day. Anyway, there were still quite a few birds going through and I actually managed a patch tick, so maybe my 'bird of the day'. Although...

The patch tick came in the shape of a flock of six Scaup heading north at fairly close range. Quite a 'long awaited one' that. 32 Manx Shearwaters was a lot more than this morning and there was a quite impressive northward passage of Arctic Terns, which I probably should have tried to enumerate. Also five Arctic Skuas, four Bonxies and two Red-throated Divers. Three Wheatears were also about. I saw two Arctic Skuas from home this afternoon, which means my own personal total for the day is 42. I guess that if all the totals for the day were added up there might easily have been over a hundred.

It was rather lovely this evening, with clear, calm weather and good light. Very good to see so many seabirds pouring through at close range - quite a spectacle.

All quiet on the sea early today - just one Arctic Skua in an hour from Greg Ness. 1 Whimbrel still touring the 'hood. A Chiffchaff in a hedge at Doonies was my first of the year for 'the gramps' - close to 2 months later then expected!

Very 'after the Lord Mayor's Show today' with not much happening out to sea at all (I guess we all missed the Killer Whales going past?). Not much worth mentioning except ten Common Scoter, a Goosander and three Red-throated Divers. A dead Harbour Porpoise was on the beach at Nigg Bay, just by the car park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back