• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (10 Viewers)

But not too odd I hope :eek!: There's a lot of scoters and eiders at Blackdog, all mixed together, which makes it a bit hard to pick out a surfie. I was lucky.

Yeah I know, the malting ideas can look annoyingly like Scoters, Ken. And Andrew, you're right, Girldness does have it's ups and down, which you find when you have been there many a time.:king:

And Andrew, you're right, Girldness does have it's ups and down, which you find when you have been there many a time.:king:

Hopefully,there shall be some good birds turning up at The Ness,over the next 3 months,if weather conditions are good.

New South Wales?

Ya lucky so and so, no wonder you didn't seem so upset about missing out on the Stilt Sandpiper. Then again, you probably already have one on your flat list and a stuffed one in the freezer just in case.

And as for you Joseph, i'm rather envious of your stats. They certainly put my lists to shame and i've been birding since i was a young lad.

Still, i havent really started listing and twitching until the last couple of years, but have learned heaps from the other users on here and just by being on the east coast.

Hopefully you can get out and find more decent birds before Mr Whitehouse gets back!

;)

Happy Birding/Surfing

Kev T

Chouged2bits, I'm hardly a big twitcher at all. If there is a rare bird within 70 miles of Aberdeen, my Dad and I will attempt to see it. Most of the time, we are jus checking our local spots. I think your list is very good for someone who has only been listing for a couple of years. ;)

some starter signs of late summer movement at the ness yesterday. Waders were on the up, with 6 common sands, lone knot, turnstone and decent counts of redshank and curlew.

Offshore was very quiet....a few manxies trickling through north, with a few puffins and three red-throated divers too. A peregrine chasing sandwich terns and kittiwakes about 2km from shore was a bit of a surprise!

20+ goosander in the harbour and good no's of Sandwich terns (c.70) hanging around in greyhope bay.

Meant to post this but forgot, I seen a Pied Flycatcher in Berryden the other day, it was definately a Pied Flycatcher no doubts in my mind about it but when I checked my Pied Flycatcher RSPB distribution map it doesn't come close to Aberdeen

pied%20flycatcher_tcm9-19414.gif

Anyone else seen one in Aberdeen.

headed out for an early seawatch this morning - and in about 1 hour i'd had one each of great and arctic skua, and 19 common scoters north. And a LOT of rain!

Nigg bay was slightly more productive with a good selection of waders. 14 sanderling, 7 redshank, 5 turnstone, 10 ringed plover, three brilliant brick red knot, and two each of common sand and dunlin.

headed out for an early seawatch this morning - and in about 1 hour i'd had one each of great and arctic skua, and 19 common scoters north. And a LOT of rain!

Nigg bay was slightly more productive with a good selection of waders. 14 sanderling, 7 redshank, 5 turnstone, 10 ringed plover, three brilliant brick red knot, and two each of common sand and dunlin.

Looks like I need to get up earlier then. When I went to the Bay of Nigg today it was late afternoon, and low tide. 5 Ringed Plovers, a few Oycs and loads of Sandwich Terns. Probably too much disturbance during the day - dogs, surfers etc. Some of the Sandwich Terns were ringed, both adults and juveniles. I can pass the details to the BTO, but is there someone local who would accept them? I assume the birds were from the Forvie colony.

Hi all, have you got room for a new Aberdonian on this thread who is a complete novice at birding but loves them to bits? I've been 'watching' them for about a year now but I'm still very much a beginner. I'd love to chat with you all but you'll have to be a wee bit patient with me.

Hi all, have you got room for a new Aberdonian on this thread who is a complete novice at birding but loves them to bits? I've been 'watching' them for about a year now but I'm still very much a beginner. I'd love to chat with you all but you'll have to be a wee bit patient with me.

Welcome onboard mama.Im sure we shall all do our bit to help out and make you welcome. :t:

Aye, nae bother. It's about time we had a new face. Feel free to ask anything, we were all beginners once. Some of us still are o:D. Maybe my web site will be of some help to you if you're looking for places to go.

cheers,

ken

Thank you guys. Ken I'll certainly be having a look at your web site for some ideas of where to look. I'm heading to Montrose tomorrow to see what the basin has to offer so here's hoping it stays dry! Saw some lovely great crested grebes at the BoD mouth a couple of days which was a first for me - beautiful

I now find myself back in beautiful Torry to enjoy the remainder of our gloriously changeable summer weather. It's good to see some new faces on this thread: welcome one and all to Birds fae Torry. You never know - if we all work at it there might be some good birds to talk about in the near future.

I had a bit of a wander around this evening, with the ground still damp from this afternoon's downpours. Greyhope Bay was the busiest place with lots of Common and Sandwich Terns and their young and plenty of loafing Kittiwakes and Common Gulls. In amongst the rocks were 5 Turnstones, a Ringed Plover, a juvenile Dunlin and a partial summer-plumage Purple Sandpiper. Maybe we should start the Totaliser here for this winter. What do you reckon? Okay then:

There wasn't much else about though, with it being particularly quiet out to sea. This morning, when it was very calm, I saw a (presumably Bottlenose) dolphin jumping a long way out. One cause for optimism is that there's quite a bit of water in the ambitiously titled 'Nigg Bay scrape', which could help bring in a few interesting waders in the next month or so. That is if they like being chased around by dogs and skateboarders, which as far as I can tell most waders don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back