• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (8 Viewers)

Had a bit of a seawatch this evening. Not too much but it all came in threes: 3 Manx Shearwaters, 3 Bonxies, 3 Arctic Skuas. Also a few Arctic Terns and about 15 Common Scoters. Those last didn't come in threes, but the other birds did. Also not in threes were the 44 Goosander in the harbour. And there were quite a few Bottlenose Dolphins earlier in the day. Not sure how many but definitely more than three.

Had a saunter round the Ness today. A few skuas were again milling about offshore - at least four Arctic and a similar number of Bonxies. 42 Turnstones on Greyhope Bay - most on fetching summer dress - was a good number. A group of Whimbrel flew south - I think eight although they were a bit quick to count. A certain amount of Bottlenose Dolphin action too.

Had vague hopes the overnight rain might have brought in a few early migrants. I was right to only be vaguely hoping though. Not too much about in the mist, although 51 Goosander was the best number of the summer. We're not doing a Goosander Totaliser though, so it's just for fun. Lots of terns and gulls were in Greyhope Bay, with Arctic Terns quite prominent. At least three Bonxies and two Arctic Skuas were off the Coo. Dolphins too of course.

Swifts

I had 9 low flying Swifts this morning,on Victoria Road.The first Ive seen of the species for a couple of weeks.

A bit of wafer passage action today, with a greenshank in the floods in nigg bay, 6 adult knot in greyhope bay and a dunlin feeding in a puddle in the greyhope bay carpark.

Better watch what I'm writing this time! Some more waders on the go this afternoon, with 25 turnstone and 2 purple sandpiper in Greyhope bay. Also velvet scoter and tystie with the eider flock, and an hour of seawatching produced 10 bonxies, 18 manxies and 3 arctic skua.

The greenshank was back on the flooded area in Nigg bay again, along with a snipe. A golden plover went south with a bunch of oystercatchers. Not much else apart from horrific amounts of wind and rain!

Very sensible of you too....wandering around in the rain at half five in the morning, getting a thrill from a greenshank I've seen already...I am officially insane.

I made a rare foray into Torry this morning as I had some time to spare in Aberdeen. 45 mintues at the Coo produced 4-5 Bonxies, a couple of Arctic Skuas and a couple of Knot heading north. The Black Guillemot was still among the Eiders in Nigg bay. As I drove out of Torry I saw none other than the Professor of Listening himself walking across Victoria Bridge.

Had a look round this evening. Velvet Scoter and Black Guillemot were still in amongst the Eiders off the Coo. A couple of Knot were also on the jetty there. Not too much out to sea except one Arctic Skua north. Earlier today a Bonxie went north.

A very dull morning walk was enlivened vastly by a Great spotted woodpecker that flew up the river between the battery and the sycamore. I thought it was heading for the tree but I couldn't see it anywhere....mind you, plenty of suitable habitat there so no wonder I couldn't relocate it...;-)

Only my second on patch....I couldn't help but wonder if it had come off the rather scandinavian sounding boat that entered the harbour about ten minutes later.

14 Swifts this morning over Balnagask Road.Just wondering If this shall be the last I see of them,until next year.I shall miss seeing them.

I was expecting a load of migrants today...but could only manage a whinchat in Nigg bay. One or two other bits and bobs though, three ruff went south and there were 4 scaup in greyhope bay.

I was hoping for a few migrants too, particularly after I saw a few warblers in my garden - a Willow Warbler and two Whitethroats, the latter a long-awaited house tick. They turned out to be the only warblers I saw. The only migrant passerine around the Ness was a single Wheatear on the south side of the golf course. Waders were decent though, particularly on Greyhope Bay, with at least 30 Knot in a wide range of plumages, a Dunlin and at least 52 Turnstone. We also have the makings of a Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Looking good so far. Lots of terns and Kittiwakes too. Not much was happening out to sea, although a couple of Bonxies went north and a group of four Wigeon flew in towards the harbour. Lots of Bottlenose Dolphins getting busy too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back