• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland insect & arrachnid ID (1 Viewer)

lazza

So, to add to my other Northumberland ID threads, here's one for unknown insects and arachnids that I come across. All help very gratefully received!

And I'll kick off with this lovely orange-brown spider, found on my garage door here in Morpeth yesterday. It was approx 1 cm long (including legs).

It seems to have characteristics of Steatoda Bipuncta or rabbit-hutch spider, but it seems rather pale and uniformly coloured compared to on-line pictures.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 125
And then this green sawfly also from the garden this weekend. I am thinking Rhogogaster viridis, but my guide mentions there are several similar species, and the thorax colour seems wrong (green in viridis, orange-brown here)

Attachments

• sawfly2.jpg
    sawfly2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 94
  • sawfly3.jpg
    sawfly3.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 70
  • sawfly4.jpg
    sawfly4.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 67
And then this green sawfly also from the garden this weekend. I am thinking Rhogogaster viridis, but my guide mentions there are several similar species, and the thorax colour seems wrong (green in viridis, orange-brown here)

seems to lack 2r so not Rhodogaster, or even Tenthredininae. appears to be Nematus/Pachynematus

Last edited:
I think you are right with the spider id, although generally chestnut coloured S. bipuncta can be found in paler versions. The sawfly could be one of the Rhogogaster species but whether you can pin it down to a specific individual from the photos I'm not sure!

Shane

Last edited:
OK, another ID challenge from last weekend, on the Northumberland coast. Would I be right in thinking that these hoverflies are leucozona lucorum? In my guide, the only other similar species is volucella pellucens, which does not have such obvious brown coloration to its thorax.

Thanks!

Attachments

• hoverfly_1.jpg
    hoverfly_1.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 82
  • hoverfly_2.jpg
    hoverfly_2.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 76
OK, another ID challenge from last weekend, on the Northumberland coast. Would I be right in thinking that these hoverflies are leucozona lucorum? In my guide, the only other similar species is volucella pellucens, which does not have such obvious brown coloration to its thorax.

Thanks!

Spot on with L. lucorum.

Shane

OK, a couple from woodland near my home today...

The first, a small green beetle, a weevil, I think. The only two similar looking species in my insect guide are phyllobius pomaceus or polydrusus formosus, but it does not look like photos on-line of either!

The second a moth, and I am thinking it could be a silver ground carpet.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DHL_weevil.jpg
    DHL_weevil.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DHL_moth.jpg
    DHL_moth.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 67
Thanks, both.

Nettle weevil sounds about right, as I was wading through nettles when it bounced onto my shoe!

OK, here's another from the weekend. I will admit this isn't actually Northumberland, but County Durham is near enough :D

I think this is a female common blue damselfly, is that right?

Attachments

• Saltholme_dragonfly.jpg
    Saltholme_dragonfly.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 104
And then another from the weekend, this time most definitely in Northumberland. After some exhaustive searching, I have narrowed this beauty down to being a Panorpa scorpion fly. Had never seen anything remotely like it until this thing flittered out of an overgrown hedgerow as I tramped past. Is it possible to ID for certain?

Attachments

• Bothal_fly.jpg
    Bothal_fly.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 87
You're right on both accounts but there are 3 species of Scorpion Fly in the UK and you really need to put them under a microscope to id them correctly.

Shane

Here's a moth from the weekend. I'm pretty sure this is a Ghost Swift moth, but the yellowness of the body looks possibly too bright... would appreciate a confirmation or correction!

Attachments

• Hmoth.jpg
    Hmoth.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Hmoth2.jpg
    Hmoth2.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 77
My identification skills are clearly quite pathetic. Surely something as bright as this next one should be readily identified, but I cannot find anything much like it at all in my books. I am guessing it's some kind of leaf beetle, but I cannot find anything as vivid as this in my guides.

EDIT: Aha! A search on-line (for willowherb leaf beetle) brings up a similar blue beetle, Altica lythri...?

Attachments

• unknown_beetle.jpg
    unknown_beetle.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I guess I should be posting these in the separate moth forum, but anyway, here's another, from the garden last night...

Attachments

• unknown_garden_moth.jpg
    unknown_garden_moth.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back