• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland Mini-Vacations 2017 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Well I hope I'm not tempting fate by starting this thread today. Up until a couple of days ago the first "mini-vacation" was off. Now, as it stands, it's a truncated version of the original itinerary.

Thanks to D for thread advice and massive apologies to Ian for messing up his plans and leave arrangements.

Hopefully we'll be arriving in Nethybridge Wednesday some time, have two full days, before belting back to Neath early Saturday morning whilst the others stay on until Sunday.

Initial plans are for birding and seafood on Thursday. So the Pass of the Cattle for (hopefully) Ptarmigan and then down to Applecross for Langoustine. Heading round to Aultbea, scanning the bays as we go, and a further "lite" food stop at Shieldaig. The smoked salmon here is amazing. Then back to Nethy stopping wherever looks interesting. I'm suffering from sleep deprivation at the moment so I'm hoping the route will take us past Loch Maree and hopefully Black Throated Divers. I'll take a look at the maps later.

Friday is a planned trip to Mull. Fingers crossed this will produce the birding results as it has done in the past:t:

Then an early night before heading back to Neath - stopping for a stroll around Loch Garten on the way and maybe a quick detour to Pitlochry for RND.

As always, any advice would be great fully received though I'm massively stretched for time on this trip. I see American Wigeon has been seen in Inverness, Iceland Gulls at Aviemore Tip and Brambling at Mains of Garten. I'm never sure where Mains of Garten in - I've presumed it's on the road past the primary school but am never sure. If anyone is able to confirm that would be great:t:

I think I've got internet connection so will put some sightings up whilst there and then add photos when I get home.

Thanks again for any advice.

Rich

Last edited:
If you are going to Mull via Lochaline or Kilchoan I recommend building in an hour or two to have a go at the Strontian Black Duck, which has been very consistent lately (and I nailed it on Saturday morning).

Finding it can involve searching the river that flows through the village but all the sightings recently have been at the river mouth, easily viewed even with just bins from next to the shop/filling station at the very East end of Strontian before you reach the village proper.

On the way up you might also like to try for the returning adult drake Ring-necked Duck on the Cuilc at Pitlochry, short diversion off the A9, stonking bird, close range. Put Golf Course Road in your satnav and follow it uphill to Cuilc Brae (actually satnav might do that too?) Large pond rather than small lake. I had that Saturday afternoon.

Both offer good photo-opportunities.

John

Cheers John. I might try for the RND on the way home. Hadn't thought of the Black Duck. It's certainly a possibility if my mate takes his car as well. I'm heading into Craignure from Oban so I guess it depends on how much light we have.

Rich

Day One

Should have checked online. Only found out a section of the M5/6 was closed when past Monmouth. :C Satnav detoured back past Abergavenny, around Llangorse Lake!! and then North to Leominster. This knocked us back an hour and a half or so, so any thoughts of looking for Caper in the morning were quickly knocked on the head. The silver lining, and first bird of the trip, was a Barn Owl somewhere in Staffs I think.

The A9 basically has average speed cameras all along but also has a huge amount of road works ongoing at the moment.

So instead of going to the cottage we went straight to Inverness Tesco to stock up. From here, and thanks for the tip Ian, we headed to Findhorn. After some searching we managed to pick out a Velevt Scoter in amongst the many Commons. Red Breasted Merganser, Eider, Gannet and Long Tailed Duck were also present. Left and headed to Grantown via Lochindorb. Couldn't pick out any Divers but the water was very choppy. A few Goldeneye were dotted around. Red Grouse were surprisingly difficult to find but we had them in the end. Next it was off to Grantown and The Highland Bakery. We already knew the steak pies there were delicious and I quite like the macaroni and cheese pie as well but everyone was surprised at how good the lasagne pies were. Who'd have thought?:-O

Out of Grantown and taking the backroad into Nethy gave a Brambling or two in amongst the flock of chaffinches.

I'll finish off the rest of day one later. Got to catch a ferry to Mull:t:

Rich

So having dropped our bags off we decided to head down the the butchers via the river path. A Sparrowhawk put up a flock on finches by the park and down the river itself the Dipper was showing nicely. At the bridge a flock of Redpoll and Siskin were on some feeders. Mustards has expanded its premises since the last time I was here with a good selection of other foods now available as well.

Stopped off at the Nethybridge Hotel for a couple before wandering back. Having driven overnight and with the effects of the Red Bull finally wearing off it was time to crash ready for an early start in the morning.

Rich

Day 2

Still feeling tired after Sunday's drive so I'm a bit behind with this one. Up at dawn and had a walk around Abernethy (keeping to tracks). No Caper but a lovely walk with GSW drumming away.

From here it was back over to the West Coast stopping at Tarvies for a Haggis and Bacon roll on the way. A few Common Buzzards here and there along with a few Red Deer. Hoodies as usual as well. Stopped off at the top of The Pass of the Cattle. Very blustery on the way up with the snow coming up over my ankles. Couldn't pick out any Ptarmigan but cam across fresh tracks across our path on the way back down. Little sods must have been right by the path.

Down to The Applecross Inn for lunch. Superb Langoustines as usual. From here it was the coastal path around to Shieldaig. A lovely drive but very few birds. A plate of superb smoked salmon and then back to Nethy.

Rich

That pass is scary, isn't Rich.

How the heck did you manage to lose your camera!!!! Oh you careless boy you!!!

Not sure what it is about Mull - I had a camera go faulty on my first visit and ended up buying a throwaway one to see me through (pre-digital days!), then last year when getting the camera out in a rush, I knocked a setting and didn't notice. Couldn't work out why it wouldn't focus!!

So whilst day 2 was all about the food, day 3 was significantly better bird wise.

Attachments

• IMG_0102.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 90
That pass is scary, isn't Rich.

How the heck did you manage to lose your camera!!!! Oh you careless boy you!!!

Not sure what it is about Mull - I had a camera go faulty on my first visit and ended up buying a throwaway one to see me through (pre-digital days!), then last year when getting the camera out in a rush, I knocked a setting and didn't notice. Couldn't work out why it wouldn't focus!!

I really enjoy driving up The Pass D but those drops freak me out a little:-O. I think I left my camera on the floor whilst I was watching a Black Throated Diver through the scope. Really annoyed with myself is a slight understatement. :-C

Rich

Gawd I bet.

Is it covered by insurance for that sort of mishap?

Not sure but will see what they say. I'm going to try the police station tomorrow as well just on the off chance somebody has handed it in.

Rich

Day 3

So day 3 started off nice and early again. Down to Oban and it was nice to be driven for a change. As usual Black Guillemots were in the harbour. On the journey over we had our first White Tailed Eagle.

Nigel was in Craignure car park waiting for us. Turned out to be a really decent fella and very knowledgeable. Nigel has taken over from Rich and is doing a fine job. He also offers accommodation and is able to cater for photographers. Nigel had is scoped trained on a WTE in the trees toward the golf course.

http://www.mullwildlife.co.uk

Another WTE was seen on the road to Duart Castle and the first of 4 Golden Eagles were seen heading through Glen More. One in particular flew right over the van being mobbed by a Buzzard. Gave a clear view of the size difference between the species.

From here we stopped at Loch Scridain and had the first of many Great Northern Divers along with 3 Otters all in the same scope view. Next we stopped at Loch Na Keal. More divers and I'm pretty certain a Red Throated (but couldn't locate it again) before several Slavonian Grebes were seen. Plenty of Megansers around as well. A quick scan of the gulls for the recently reported Glaucous and Iceland gulls but nothing doing. Some horse riders had put up the main flock unfortunately.

Back at Salen and Mergansers were joined by Goldeneye and Wigeon. A further stop along the Sound of Mull gave another Otter, Turnstones and a Black Throated Diver. Now it was back to the Ferry. A cracking day only slightly spoiled by losing my camera.

Back in Oban I can recommend the chips at George Street Fish Restaurant and Chip Shop - delicious :eat:

Rich

We were lucky with the weather again:t:

Attachments

• IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back