Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 29th May 2017, 17:48   #1
MobiusX

Can neighbors complain?

I live in a subdivision. I have a bird station which has a bure feeder and water feeder in my backyard. My mom told me some old lady that lives behind our house was aiming a camera where the birds eat on our property and looked angry. Most likely its due to when she moved she would take her dogs on our backyard and they would take a shit there but she never picked it up and I saw her a few times, saw me, looked shocked and left. My brother confronted her a few years ago and then got a fence a few weeks after that. So I am thinking maybe this lady is mad still since he yelled at her. What is the best she can complain about my bird feeder? That it causes many birds to go on her trees and they shit on her property?
Old Monday 29th May 2017, 17:53   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator

Your best bet is to call your county ordinance dept and see if there are any rules against hanging bird feeders. I seriously doubt there is. Or if you have a Home owners Assoc covering your home you can ask them. Good luck

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th May 2017, 19:20   #3
Jos Stratford
Back again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
My mom told me some old lady that lives behind our house was aiming a camera where the birds eat on our property and looked angry.

My brother confronted her a few years ago and then got a fence a few weeks after that.
Build a higher wall :)

Last edited by Jos Stratford : Monday 29th May 2017 at 19:32.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 29th May 2017, 20:54   #4
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Build a higher wall :)

Thank you Donald
Old Monday 29th May 2017, 23:19   #5
andyadcock

The only cause for genuine complaint would be on health grounds, it's important to keep feeding areas clean so as not to attract rats.

A
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 00:04   #6
RecoveringScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
The only cause for genuine complaint would be on health grounds, it's important to keep feeding areas clean so as not to attract rats.

A
I believe some British councils ban feeders on council properties for precisely that reason. They may do it for private by bye-law as well, though I'm not sure.

Cheers
Old Tuesday 30th May 2017, 14:05   #7
Ruff
Two birds in one.

In parts of Canada, there is a significant risk of attracting black bears. Rats are generally not seen as a problem unless they are attractive as food for the bears. Seriously, European rats do not fare well in the outdoors here because most of our natural predator population is intact.
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 12:54   #8
kev68

Can neighbours complain

My back garden is 30ft x 30ft with a 6 ft fence along my boundary. The back looks onto allotments and my neighbours are all bird and wildlife lovers. I have one bird table and numerous feeding stations and I only see the odd rat due to the allotments behind but I know the council around my area are quite lenient to using feeders asking as there are no pest problems.
Old Thursday 1st June 2017, 13:34   #9
Paul Longland

A couple of years ago I rented a ground floor flat in central London for use during the working week. There was a small garden area and the block backed onto a public open space.

I put up a couple of feeders which were the anti squirrel type to deter vermin and larger birds etc. Within a few weeks I received a letter from the managing agents requesting that I remove the feeders as other residents from the upper floors claimed that they were attracting pigeons which they considered a pest as they perched on their balconies. I disputed this vigorously as the pigeons were already there and in fact were nesting on the roof of the building and others nearby. However I had to admit defeat when I was threatened with termination of my lease if I did not comply, even though there was nothing specific in there about bird feeders (they used a clause about other residents right to equal enjoyment of the property or some such)! The management company did not seem interested in the fact that upstairs residents were continually dropping fag ends and other litter from their balconies into MY garden even though I threatened them with the bill for cleaning. So it appears that man made rubbish is ok but nature has no place in the big city. For the record in the 10 months that I spent there (I terminated my lease early and moved out due to the aggro) I recorded great, blue, coal and long tailed tits, redpoll, goldfinch, greenfinch, house sparrow, rose ringed parakeet, blackcap, chiffchaff, jackdaw, collared dove, woodpigeon (ok a few feral pigeons too) all in a 20foot x10 foot patio garden with a few small shrubs and a hawthorn tree less than 1o minutes walk from st Pancras station.
Old Sunday 5th November 2017, 08:42   #10
Neil G.

Unfortunately Paul,a lot of the population is like this now and could'nt give a stuff about nature.Its a real shame as you seemed to have attracted a diverse range of birdlife to your feeders.
Some people are born to moan im afraid.
Old Tuesday 14th November 2017, 11:31   #11
Elmer Fudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil G. View Post
Unfortunately Paul,a lot of the population is like this now and could'nt give a stuff about nature.Its a real shame as you seemed to have attracted a diverse range of birdlife to your feeders.
Some people are born to moan im afraid.

You're right. And I am sure when these pepole are gone they start arguing with their maker.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: