• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (2 Viewers)

still further delayed

We have to wait around 2 months longer

PRE-PUBLICATION OFFER UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30TH
Publication: Late October 2017

At present, publication will be in late November, with the volume being sent out in December, info I received today. Hope that will be the last deferment.

The numbers of photographs has been reduced from around 400 to around 300 and the number of plates reduced from 62 to 58. I hope this does not affect the size of the illustrations too much. Publication is still scheduled for late November according to the Lynx website.

The numbers of photographs has been reduced from around 400 to around 300 and the number of plates reduced from 62 to 58. I hope this does not affect the size of the illustrations too much. Publication is still scheduled for late November according to the Lynx website.

I'll bet they didn't drop the price.....

A

It will be 2 more plates than Volume 2 for 3 times more species.
So the plates surely will be crammed. I suppose some species are not distinguishable by plates but by caryotypes so maybe not every specie will be illustrated.

I wonder if they will include the extinct species.

So the plates surely will be crammed. I suppose some species are not distinguishable by plates but by caryotypes so maybe not every specie will be illustrated.

The species in Vol 7 are a fraction of the size of those in Vol 2 so surely not a valid comparison and as you say, maybe singular representatives of a group may be used where species level identification from plates isn't possible?

Is dentition illustrated where required for specific ID?

A

Last edited:

The species in Vol 7 are a fraction of the size of those in Vol 2 so surely not a valid comparison and as you say, maybe singular representatives of a group are used where species level identification from plates isn't possible?

Is dentition illustrated where required?

A

The species in Vol 7 are a fraction of the size of those in Vol 2 so surely not a valid comparison and as you say, maybe singular representatives of a group are used where species level identification from plates isn't possible?

Is dentition illustrated where required?

A

Correct but for example there were more plates in the first odents Volume for less species

Do not forget that each Family has at least one page to itself. There are a lot more families of rodents in volume 6.
Also many of the animals in this volume are very small allowing more to be shown on each page

Excellent news! Lots of excellent paintings of 'identical' rats and mice. Roll on 'Insectivores'..

Cheers, alan

That's why I asked in an earlier post, if dentition was illustrated?

Just hope I'm not 3 months behind everyone else in receiving mine this time!

A

Just spoken to my usual bookseller, I've been told that Lynx will send out direct, mail orders first and that trade customers (if you ordered from e.g NHBS) won't be seeing theirs until January.

A

I am curious on the number of pages. I think this will be the heaviest volume with the most pages of the HMW series.

For comparision: The rodents volume of Mammals of Africa (III) has more than 730 pages, The rodents volume of Mammals of South America (also with Jim Patton and Ulyses Pardinas as editors) has more than 1300 pages. So I guess that HMW 7 will also have more than 1000 pages.

I am curious on the number of pages. I think this will be the heaviest volume with the most pages of the HMW series.

Looking at the picture on gets to via the link in post #412, I think the new volume does not seem particularly hefty. But we'll see, maybe they chose thinner paper?

Are there plans to publish HMW as a pdf/app? It is about the best guide available to smaller mammals of less known parts of the world.

I chatted with a friend recently, and suggested that after HMW, the logical next step is to start Handbook of Reptiles of the World. It would bring some order to the taxonomic mess in that group. Such a book would have enormous popularity if it was friendly to terrarium enthusiasts.

I'll not be surprised if there will be a HMW Alive, and Handbook of the Reptiles of the World seems a logical step afterwards. I guess the HMW series is going to be finished around 2020!? How many volumes would HRW have?
I could imagine:
- Crocodilians, turtles and tortoises
- Tuatara and lizards
- Snakes and worm lizards

I guess the lizards and snake volumes would have to be split into several books

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back