• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Day in the Garden (1 Viewer)

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear you are not having much success with your feeders. I am surprised at how many birds I get here as there is a rather busy road immediately behind my fence. Which is why I found the presence of a largish bird of prey all the more surprising! Shame I don't also have a pond as I might be able to tempt the local kingfisher to visit as well, although in our last garden we had a well stocked pond which encouraged a heron to dine in style on my goldfish!

In the last two weeks I have recorded 21 species in the garden. No blackbirds or thrushes at the moment though, as there are plenty of berry- laden bushes nearby. I also hope to see the odd Redwing or Fieldfare as the season progresses.

Sarah

Decided that what I saw earlier was probably a female Sparrowhawk, as I have just had a visit from a male Sparrowhawk, only about half her size. I assume they are a breeding pair-would they stay together during the winter?

Another good day in the garden last week, early a.m. went out, saw two of the tawny's, both at opposite ends of the garden in the trees.

helenol said:
Another good day in the garden last week, early a.m. went out, saw two of the tawny's, both at opposite ends of the garden in the trees.
Go on, rub it in!

Still not seen a Tawny ever, even pre-listing days!

helenol said:

mutter mutter mutter

still never seen one. Saw a Barn Owl at Grafham Water last week....

The thing I hate about this time of year is I only get to see my garden at weekends, so I have no idea of what is visiting but visit they do because every other night I am out there refilling the feeders by torchlight.

Mick

ahh yes, the filling or feeders by torchlight. Especially when one has to get on the stepladder to fill the feeders hanging on the branch/walls etc.

over here too Helen

helenol said:
ahh yes, the filling or feeders by torchlight. Especially when one has to get on the stepladder to fill the feeders hanging on the branch/walls etc.
Hi H I've now got two raptors competing to be lord of the garden both similar to yours.The redtailed hawk is the buteo and looks like a cousin to your buzzard.The attatched Cooper's hawk is the accipiter and shares the traits of your Sprawk.Both switch off on the phone pole throne at the back of the yard. I have found parts of sparrow around the yard so I know the Coop is hunting.
Sam

Attachments

• Helen's cooper.jpg
    Helen's cooper.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 38
Unusual Visitor

I suppose I'm fairly lucky where I live but I get a good variety of birds in the garden, Sparrowhawks are fairly regular visitors (one took a Goldfinch a few days ago), I can hear Tawny Owls most nights and a pair of Buzzards probably bred a few hundred yards away this year, however the best thing I have visiting the garden bird feeders is a Badger (normally just one but I have seen three at once some time ago). It usually clears up the seed left over on the concrete path where I put food down for ground-feeding species and then trots over to where the birds have spilt seed from the hanging feeders and then cleans up what it can find there. I am usually able to watch it from the kitchen window as I run a MV moth trap in the garden and the light from this is sufficient to see it quite well. I saw it this morning at 4.15 AM.

Geoff

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back