• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluetits - What to Do (1 Viewer)

174n

Hi Everybody - first posting, hope you can help me with some advice.

I have fitted my first wireless birdbox and soon had a nest containing 11 bluetit eggs. Over the last 3-4 weeks, I have watched them hatch and sadly watch a number of them - for no apparent reason die. We are unfortunately now down to just two birds - both looking quite healthy and stretching their wings...not sure how long before they fly the nest maybe you can advice. Anyhow, the disturbing bit about all this is that last week one of the larger birds died and the bird was pushed to the side of the box. It was still there yesterday until I arrive home tonight to find the bird in the middle of the nest with the other two birds walking over it and now I see they are sleeping on top of it. Is this normal behavour ? Why would the parent bird leave this one in the nest but I presume remove the others ?

Anyhow, once the birds have flown, is it safe for me to clean out the nest leaving an empty box or should I leave well alone. I don't want to discourage any further visitors this year. Do bluetits have a second brood ?

Any advise appreciated

Thanks
Keith

No, Bluetits raise one brood per year. They do come back to the same nest every year, however. So you can expect them back next year!

I have no idea why they would drop off like that. I *think* it's fairly common to loose a few chicks which might be part of the reason Bluetits lay such large clutches. But it seems odd that only two out of 11 would survive. I don't know much about diseases but maybe they contracted something?

As per the above post Blue tits raise only one brood per year. Consider the fact that 2 have fledged a success .It will be ok to clean out the box as long as you establish that the birds are not using it to roost in.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back