• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quidditch (1 Viewer)

John o'Sullivan

Out in Cancun at present for our 25th wedding anniversary.

The frigate birds when they chase one another are the closest thing I've ever seen to Quidditch.

Absolutely fabulous flying ability. Instead of a golden snitch the prize is a silver fish.

The second chase this afternoon ended when the first bird let go of the fish it had. This poor creature plummeted into a small swimming pool in the hotel next door. It swam around for a couple of seconds then leapt out of the water before sinking to the bottom where it remains now.

Either being caught and carried, the fall or the chemicals in the pool did for it.

One way or another it wasn't its day

¡Felicitaciones!

(... and, getting back to the birds a bit - wonder what the frigatebird equivalent of bludgers would be? An incoming Peregrine? ...:h?:)

Congratulations John - and your wife as well. Frigatebirds are one group that can keep me entranced, and a little bit jealous, for hours. As you're on your 25th I don't suppose you'll get much birding in though. ;)

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back