• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yard overrun with grackles (1 Viewer)

numbness4sound

Anyone know of a CD I can buy featuring a grackle distress call? This huge flock of grackles moved in to the neighborhood and is terrorizing the other birds. I've been trying to search for some solution to keep them out of my yard, and it seems like a distress call is the way to go. However, the only thing I could find is the Bird X, which is out of my price range.

I know I should just let nature take it's course, but it's all too visible to my family as we have this sad little robin who sits on our porch everyday guarding his nest from the grackles. A huge group of them tried to attack the female while the male was away, and I scared them off. They're ganging up on other robin and red winged blackbird couples too.

I doubt if a recorded distress call would work for long. IIRC, recorded calls have been tried at airports without much success. But it might possibly do some good as a temporary measure, I suppose.

I know I'm not being very helpful here--sorry.

I doubt if a recorded distress call would work for long. IIRC, recorded calls have been tried at airports without much success. But it might possibly do some good as a temporary measure, I suppose.

I know I'm not being very helpful here--sorry.

No problem! I can't seem to find a CD or MP3 recording anywhere, so you're probably right. Our neighbors have feeders, which is what has attracted the grackles I believe, as they are always all over them. One of them saw me clapping at the grackles and asked what I was doing, and I told them about the robin's nest, but I bet they won't try to do anything about it, like change the feed, or type of feeder :C

They seem to be attracted to our pool cover (they're always bathing on it), which will be coming off this weekend, so maybe that will deter them a bit. Or at least keep them a little further away from the robins. They are just so many of them, it's ridiculous!

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have any additional advice for you.

Funny you should mention the pool cover, though, because we used to have a lot more grackles back when we had our pool. They were always hanging around on the cover, and the rim seemed to be their favorite mating spot. Not a pleasant sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back