• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

60-65mm spotter? (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I'm in the need for a more compact spotting scope, one that I can reasonably stick in the backpack along with a lightweight tripod. Love my Kowa 88 but of course it's too big/heavy to consider. I've done it but with all the other crap I tend to carry...it's too much.

Looking at two scopes basically but would consider others. Looking at Kowa TSN-663 and previous generation Vortex Razor HD, the 16-48X65(RZR-65A1). Maybe even the Leupold GR 12-40X60 HD.

Thoughts?

Chuck, the Nikon scopes are hard to beat. The ED50 is the perfect choice for a small but very capable scope, never felt like I was missing out much on foreign trips. The EDiii is also a great scope, but bigger and heavier. Opticron MM series very popular and lots of eyepiece choice too. Haven't used the newer Kowa scopes, but the old 603/613 with a 30x is a fantastic combo and all you'd need 90% of the time. Enjoy!

I'm in the need for a more compact spotting scope, one that I can reasonably stick in the backpack along with a lightweight tripod. Love my Kowa 88 but of course it's too big/heavy to consider. I've done it but with all the other crap I tend to carry...it's too much.

Looking at two scopes basically but would consider others. Looking at Kowa TSN-663 and previous generation Vortex Razor HD, the 16-48X65(RZR-65A1). Maybe even the Leupold GR 12-40X60 HD.

Thoughts?

The tripod is really the headache for backpacking.
If your needs can be met with a monopod, you'll save a lot of hassle.
Some monopods do double duty, also serving as hiking poles.

I've been pleased with the Nikon ED50 using their 13-40x zoom, on a Velbon Ultra Stick Super 8 monopod with a ball head. It packs very small, is very light and is optically very capable.
The combo at a pinch is even usable hand held for short looks, with the folded monopod acting as a finnstick.

Thanks for the idea of the monopod! I'm going to give it a try for sure.

Also...will certainly consider the scopes you mentioned...

So I ended up going with the Opticron MM3 60. Looks as if it will be small and light for a 60mm. Everything I've read indicates it's a fine scope. This will be my first Opticron purchase ever. Looking forward to trying it out.

Enjoy. As always I look forward to your feed back and field testing. I believe it is a fine choice indeed. What eyepiece did you opt for?

Nice Chuck. I look forward to hearing your comments as well as the MM3 60 mm has become my default scope for almost everything.

Nice Chuck. I look forward to hearing your comments as well as the MM3 60 mm has become my default scope for almost everything.

Hi Frank!
Scope arrived yesterday... I was AMAZED at how small and light it is! Was kinda wishing I had bought up a little(or a lot!). BUT...initial observations this AM kinda point the other direction. I'm gonna hold back until after a lot more use but this looks to be a pretty good little scope! Holding off on buying up! :t:

Hi Chuck, I was wondering how your experiences with the Opticron MM3 scope have turned out? Also, was the monopod setup to your liking?

So I ended up going with the Opticron MM3 60. Looks as if it will be small and light for a 60mm. Everything I've read indicates it's a fine scope. This will be my first Opticron purchase ever. Looking forward to trying it out.

Did you see the post regarding the MM3 fogging up ? . The newer MM4 now is fog/waterproof, the MM3 is not. I was also considering the MM3, but not now.

Hi Chuck, I was wondering how your experiences with the Opticron MM3 scope have turned out? Also, was the monopod setup to your liking?

So far I really like the MM3! I've used it a lot. Really I guess it's exactly the scope I was looking for; small, lightweight, nice optics. The magnification adjustment is not as user-friendly as I would like. Low light conditions tho...it's no Kowa 883.

Did you see the post regarding the MM3 fogging up ? . The newer MM4 now is fog/waterproof, the MM3 is not. I was also considering the MM3, but not now.

Never had any issues with that whatsoever. I've used it in some foggy/misty/high humidity conditions too. Seems to be a pretty well made product.

I would like to ADD....I have ALSO been using a Leopold GR HD 12-40X60. It sure is compact! Optically...I believe it has the edge on the MM3. Surprising good optics in fact. The focus adjustment is not as precise...maybe it doesn't need to be. Of course it is a straight-line spotting scope which has it's pros/cons.

Attachments

• IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_3429.JPG
    IMG_3429.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 133
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back