• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (1 Viewer)

A few of the regulars from Hetton Lyons this morning.
Apart from the regulars a Kingfisher flew across the boating lake a few times, kept landing in the bushes to the South end of the lake, but kept getting flushed by dog wallkers and cyclists.

Spent a couple of hours in and around the park but no sign of the wryneck when I came away at 12.30ish.
A few birders looking for It when I came away.

Attachments

• _MG_3844.jpg
    _MG_3844.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_3914.jpg
    _MG_3914.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 56
  • _MG_3926.jpg
    _MG_3926.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_3950.jpg
    _MG_3950.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_3953.jpg
    _MG_3953.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 48
Seaton Common this evening - SEO x2. One initially along Zinc Works Road and one by North Gare car park but both ended up sat on neighbouring fence posts in the middle of the Common. A few yards away Heron x2 doing the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0141ao.JPG
    IMG_0141ao.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0147ao.JPG
    IMG_0147ao.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0151ao.JPG
    IMG_0151ao.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0156ao.JPG
    IMG_0156ao.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0174ao.JPG
    IMG_0174ao.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 65
as far as im aware, not been seen since this morning. I did an hour there this afternoon at 4 bells and no sign
Last reported sighting was 7.30am in the angling lake car park.
No sighting since.
A couple of guys were hunting for it when I left at 6.15pm.
Mickey (the original finder) had been through the area 4 or 5 times throughout the day with no signs.

bet your bottom dollar that 2moro....

What an absolute kick in the teeth !

I was planning to go tomorrow .

? what made you imagine that it would hang around untill "tomorrow"....?

Last year, there weren't any Wrynecks in the whole Tyne to Tees area...

Im not a twitcher by a long margin, but "scarce passage migrants" & "tomorrow" dont often appear in the same sentence:-O

Guess youve got to look on the bright side,...... you could temporarily change your user-name to "bouncing with annoyance"...
Bad luck anyway.

I've had car trouble all week so I didn't get chance to get up there for it either. Car is back on the road in full working order but a couple of days too late :-C

I think Steve sometimes forgets that not everyone has the luxury if being able to go birding at the drop of a hat - whatever the reason.

I've seen one before in the County but I'd have loved to catch up with one here this year as well.

I've had car trouble all week so I didn't get chance to get up there for it either. Car is back on the road in full working order but a couple of days too late :-C
I was only a phone call away Ian - would have been happy to have come and picked you up.

"I've had car trouble all week so I didn't get chance to get up there for it either."

i dont have a car and managed to travel 40miles to see it, so where the excuse?

:p

flying the flag

I've had car trouble all week so I didn't get chance to get up there for it either. Car is back on the road in full working order but a couple of days too late

should have gone for a british car ian.... arrh, we dont make anymore do we:-O

Seaton Common again this evening.

A little bit too dull and overcast for photos really but it was still nice to watch SEO x2 out hunting. Three times one landed in the field pretty close to where I was parked. Also along the fence posts - Kestrel, Heron and Pigeon.

Photos: 1. & 2. Kestrel - 3. Wood Pigeon - 4. & 5. Short-eared Owl

Attachments

• IMG_0383ao.JPG
    IMG_0383ao.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0396ao.JPG
    IMG_0396ao.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0431ao.JPG
    IMG_0431ao.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0564ao.JPG
    IMG_0564ao.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0577ao.JPG
    IMG_0577ao.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 70
mack sharp

I think Steve sometimes forgets that not everyone has the luxury if being able to go birding at the drop of a hat - whatever the reason.

I've seen one before in the County but I'd have loved to catch up with one here this year as well.

Thats the nature of twitching scarce birds isnt it Ian ? !
If you want 'em, you've generally gotta get there sharpish.:t:

My point to "Jumpin 4 Joy" whoever she is, is that the probability of still being able to see the bird after 4days is pretty slim... to say the least.

As to your point about dropping of hats, i was fortunate enough to have the finder phone me upon him locating the bird... it just so happened i was packing up at work & about to head home through Hetton.
Very many people did manage to see the Wryneck (7AM-8PM ) both before, during & after work;)
Im sure next time theres a Wryneck in Co.Durham, certain people will do their upmost to try to ensure as many people as possible have a good chance of seeing it;)

Cheers
SE

Had aninflux of summer migrants in the garden recently , presumably stocking up on the insects around the damson tree.

Willow warblers , chiffchaffs , whitethrotas have all been gorging themselves.

Hartlepool headland yesterday near the Heugh and lifeboat piers:
oyster catchers, ringed plover, heron gulls, LBB gulls, BH gulls, cormorants, 5 eider, 5 sandwich turns, starlings, turnstones and 1 razorbill.

Nothing at Jacksons Landing.

On to the bridge leading to Seaton Carew:
small flocks of sanderling, oyster catchers, ringed plover and redshank, also 1 eider, 1 purple sand and BH Gull.

Nothing much up North Gare apart from the odd magpie and 1 kestrel hunting, but the fish & chips were spot on :t:.

Znkwks road : 4 grey heron perched on fence posts accross the field to the north, 4 kestrel hunting in the same area, 1 magpie and 1/2 dozen mipits.

Didn't have time to hang around for the owls, nice shots Ian :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_3962.jpg
    _MG_3962.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 72
  • _MG_3987.jpg
    _MG_3987.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 73
  • _MG_4000.jpg
    _MG_4000.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_4025.jpg
    _MG_4025.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 73
  • _MG_4032.jpg
    _MG_4032.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 71
A few more from Hartlepool, taken yesterday.

Attachments

• _MG_4167.jpg
    _MG_4167.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_4195.jpg
    _MG_4195.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 74
  • _MG_4223.jpg
    _MG_4223.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 72
  • _MG_4244.jpg
    _MG_4244.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 75
  • _MG_4279.jpg
    _MG_4279.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back