• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (10 Viewers)

You keep bringing this up Steve, in fact you even brought it up when you were secretary of the club. You were tasked with coming up with a draft club "vision" - after all it was your idea - and we're still waiting.:t:

Anyway, Ive got a good idea for DBC !
Why dont you all have an "Aims & Objectives Workshop"... you know it mite pull in a big crowd of 6 or maybe 7.....
Without clear aims & objectives , some organizations have been known to bob about without purpose or direction......:t:

DBC club website

I would like to apologise to all DBC members for the extended loss of the club website and forum. We anticipate that normal service will be resumed very soon - hopefully tomorrow.

I will post here to let you know as soon as the site is back. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,

Stephen Addinall

Well done finding the Black Redstart!

we had a walk from marsden to trow (and back) and we were well pleased
about 200 goldies no scatch that goldfinches:-O
kesys 2
stonechats 2
skylark 6
and way back picked up 3wheatears and then a female black redstart not far from last years bird at frenchmans bay but then lost it but picked it up again at frenchmans on the same rock as had seen last years bird on and was wondering if its the same bird:t:

Houghton area Local Patch

Why does it have to be hook, line & sinker every time with you guys - if you cant take a joke then dont pay it any attention. :'D

I thought everything was ship shape at the DBC - from the prickly replies, it maybe sounds like it isnt ?

Meanwhile, back at the durham dirty laundry, er sorry Local Patch8-P

New site in NZ35 holding breeding Barn Owl with 2 well developed young this evening, a very pleasant surprise for us ! - heading off to hunt at dusk, after a brief period of begging.B :)

Also coupla Littles & a Noctule Bat.
SE

:cat:

Last edited:
lamesley tonight

at last seo seen behind the ravensworth pub at 8.30pm after about 3 weeks of trying .came between some trees right in front of me then flew up the path about 20ft up ..great stuff:t:

Its a Black necked Grebe head shape is wrong for Slav also it appears to have yellow tufts on its cheeks.Slavs have the yellow tufts further up on the head.

thanks martin i only could tell it was a grebe ..it was close in but we were on the leas field when we seen it.we walked down to the cliff tops but just as we were getting close a small boat full of pots went stright into it and it naffed off out to sea..great:-C

If it is a grebe then martin may be right, but from the pictures alone it is not possible to be sure that it is a grebe I'm afraid.

Its a Black necked Grebe head shape is wrong for Slav also it appears to have yellow tufts on its cheeks.Slavs have the yellow tufts further up on the head.

This is my first post to BirdForum, starting with a quick report from Seaton Common on the 4th September:

Watched one SEO hunting from North Gare car park last night between 19.30 and 19.50.

Also 2 grey partridge scuttling around the golf course.

Kestrel x3, grey heron x5, lapwing c.40, curlew 40+. Something kept putting the latter two up. They didn't seem to be bothered in the slightest by the SEO hunting beside them, but they were very flighty at other times.

If it is a grebe then martin may be right, but from the pictures alone it is not possible to be sure that it is a grebe I'm afraid.

Basing judgements on pictures alone is a good point Steve.

We can all remember Wills Grate Gray Chaffinch Shrike picture last year :-O - , when several (experienced local birders) people were only too happy to transform an aberrant Chaffinch into a Great Grey Shrike - despite there being an immediate size comparison with tree it was perched on :-O

But, it this particular case, we have slightly more to go on...
the observer (in the field) has already told us he could see it was a grebe of sorts, so i guess Martin has at least a 50/50 chance ;)

ps. i think image 1 looks like a Common Scoter. (LOL)

Houghton area Local Patch

Seaton Pond

female Merlin hunting finch flocks
5 or 6 Stonechats
2 Green Sandpiper

also late news in of a Hen Harrier seen well nr Sharpley fortnight back.

Last edited:
some sort of grebe i think ots only had my bins:-C
anyone want a go at an ID:t:

Had a play about with photo in Picasa, and I would put my money on Black-necked Grebe.

There are not many other possibilites, but Shag or a scoter sp spring to mind. The flanks are clearly paler than the upperparts which would rule out both of those species (unless they were tipped on their side) and the bird does appear to pale pale ear coverts.

If it's a grebe then it doesn't look like a Slav. Only thing is that it's looks to be in full s/pl, and by now some white feathering would be expected, although presume a full s/pl bird isn't impossible.

I had to make a decision either, I would say Black-necked Grebe.

Gateshead

Had to run an errand this morning to Gateshead. Called in at Shibdon Pond, scoped the main pond for half an hour & took a slow walk round .
Nothing out of the ordinary, but 2Siskin, sev Mipits & Hirundines moving north (ahead of all this rain!).
On the water 117Teal, 8-9Shoveller, 40+Redshank
Round the edges 1 full grown juvvy Water Rail oppisite the main duck feeding spot, 1+Kingfisher, nilSnipe.
Others (mainly old trackway) 1juvSedge Warbler, 1WillowWarbler, 2m1fBlackcap, 8+Chiffchaff, very few hirundines other than those passing through.
1GSW, 1Treecreeper, 17Mistle Thrush(1st this month!), 3Stock Dove, 20+LTTit.

Called up to see a bedraggled Kite hunched up in the rain.
SE

Seaton Common again this evening.

A little bit too dull and overcast for photos really but it was still nice to watch SEO x2 out hunting. Three times one landed in the field pretty close to where I was parked. Also along the fence posts - Kestrel, Heron and Pigeon.

Photos: 1. & 2. Kestrel - 3. Wood Pigeon - 4. & 5. Short-eared Owl

Thanks Ian for linking me to this thread, for info about the Owls. I was down getting shots of the barge coming in with the Oil Rig sections coming into Graythorpe.

Just wondered who was down in the Blue Lagoon/ Seaton Channel area with the scopes, as I walked past a couple with them. Hopefully I'll be able to get out more with the camera, as workload has now subsided for a while. Just need the weather to play ball now. |:d|

Durham Bird Club
Field Trip (reminder)

Sunday 14 September 2008 - Potteric Carr, South Yorkshire
Cost £15 (+ £2.50 entry)

There are still some places left
non-members welcome (at £17 + £2.50 entry)

Our first ever visit to this site, which has been recommended, by one of our members as a good day out, with plenty to see. The area has a good range of habitats, and species that may possibly be seen include Bittern, Hobby and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, plus a wide range of waterfowl and waders.

Book Now or visit the Field Trip Page

I've had a problem with the interweb recently and I've missed some right treats ! Marsh Harriers , seo's ANOTHER wryneck and the lesser spotted snapdragon ;).

I had 1 sand martin flying south over my garden yesterday and there is a chiffchaff still knocking about in my garden. Sparrowhawk as well this morning

My brother-in-law brought round a Tawny Owl he had picked up from the roadside between Shotton Col. and Wingate.
It seemed happy to sit on the back of a kitchen chair asleep and doesn't look to be injured, just tired.
I asked for a bit of advise and was told to put it in a box to rest and let it go when it's ready, cheers Steve:t:.
Hopefully all will be alright when it's rested up for the day and I release it tonight before a few BeersB :).

Attachments

• Tawney Owl 1.jpg
    Tawney Owl 1.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Tawney Owl 2.jpg
    Tawney Owl 2.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 76
My brother-in-law brought round a Tawny Owl he had picked up from the roadside between Shotton Col. and Wingate.
It seemed happy to sit on the back of a kitchen chair asleep and doesn't look to be injured, just tired.
I asked for a bit of advise and was told to put it in a box to rest and let it go when it's ready, cheers Steve:t:.
Hopefully all will be alright when it's rested up for the day and I release it tonight before a few BeersB :).

Has it been struck on RHS ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back