• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (6 Viewers)

Myself and Martin had a look over Rainton today on the way back from another fruitless search for the Hawfinches at Croxdale. Found the Redpoll flock and managed to find a single Mealy in amongst them, but they were incredibly flighty. A nice surprise was a flock of around 40 Waxwings flying overhead, heading towards the industrial estate.

A few Waxwings around Darlington today, more very good views! (Very breif, as we where driving past)
:t:

(Jokes: Morrisons booze selection produced Red, and possible Hazel Grouse. It was also interesting to see a Hummingbird. Some good booze labels out there):-O:-O

Castle Eden Walkway/A689 this afternoon.

Crossbill c.6 - only two seen near scout hut but several calling and numerous cones being dropped c.1km SW of scout hut. Siskin c.30, Coal Tit c.20, Goldcrest c.12, GSW x1, Marsh Tit x5, Treecreeper x1, Bullfnch c.12, Redwing, Fieldfare, Little Owl, Jay.

On way home Buzzard flew low over A689 south to north in front of my car between the roundabouts near Wynyard whilst being mobbed by three Crows.

Attachments

• IMG_9851ao.JPG
    IMG_9851ao.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9852ao.JPG
    IMG_9852ao.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9854ao.JPG
    IMG_9854ao.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9857ao.JPG
    IMG_9857ao.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 38
(Jokes: Morrisons booze selection produced Red, and possible Hazel Grouse. It was also interesting to see a Hummingbird. Some good booze labels out there):-O:-O

They used to do a wine called Sandpiper, went down rather well! Sainsbury's do a Pickled Partridge amongst others but don't get me started, it reminds me too much of work ;)

Goosander, Reed Bunting, Willow Tit, Shelduck, Pochard & Pink-footed Geese seen on the local patch (W'ton/Ch-le-St) today.
Couple of rubbish pictures;

Attachments

• 221208 001.jpg
    221208 001.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 221208 004.jpg
    221208 004.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 59
Fantasic experience of BO hunting

Visited Low Barnes today not much about as is about the norm lately, however while sitting in West Pasture Hide around 16.20 bemoaning lack of activity suddenly Barn Owl glided in from corner of wooded area over rough pasture at the side of hide and spent a good 15 - 20 minutes quartering between Wetlands hide and West Hide before finally gliding down effortlesly onto its unsuspecting prey.
This activity provided my daughter some good action photo shots of the Owl homing in on prey then flying off back into the wooded area with preyheld in its talons.
Very awe inspiring for the both of us to say the least.

DenBee

Denbee, was that you then sat in the hide with me when the cormorants were in the tree. Nice to meet you mate wish I had stayed and seen the Owl Just posted the other day that I wanted to see one and appear to have missed out again.

Attachments

• _MG_3523.jpg
    _MG_3523.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_3512.jpg
    _MG_3512.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 45
  • _MG_3499.jpg
    _MG_3499.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Teesside / Hartlepool today:

Started of at Bowesfield Marsh:
Plenty of the normal coots, moorehens, mallards, mute swans etc plus 6 shoveler, 1 grey heron and around 20 pochard on the ponds. The only birds amongst the reeds were 1/2 doz, goldfinch, 2 mipits and the regular crows & magpies.

Onto Teesside Barrage:
1 YL Gull amongst the BH & Herring Gulls, at least 12 cormorants and 3 seals.
Only a couple of robins seen in the surrounding bushes.

Called at Cowpen Bewley Feeding station:
Much the same as reported earlier, chaffinch, greenfinch, blue, great, coal and LT Tits, tree sparrows etc and tree creeper paid a fleeting visit. No sign of the woodpecker.

Jacksons Landing:
2 GN Divers still present plus 1/2 doz, RB Mergansers, female eider and the regular gulls and cormorants.

Called at Ward Jackson Park on the way home to check on the Parakeets:
Total of 9 seen in the trees opposite the park entrance.

Attachments

• _MG_8424.jpg
    _MG_8424.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_8429.jpg
    _MG_8429.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_8433.jpg
    _MG_8433.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_8473.jpg
    _MG_8473.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_8513.jpg
    _MG_8513.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 40
Just a few more pic's from today.

Attachments

• _MG_8588.jpg
    _MG_8588.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_8640.jpg
    _MG_8640.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 58
  • _MG_8642.jpg
    _MG_8642.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 48
  • _MG_8671.jpg
    _MG_8671.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 52
  • _MG_8795.jpg
    _MG_8795.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 46
Have you got any big Wood Pigeon roosts locally ?

Have you got large flocks moving first thing in morning & / or back again mid/late afternoon...?

Whilst cruising the streets of Rickleton this morning (looking for Waxwing I hasten to add!) what must have been 400+ Woodpigeons went over North, presumably leaving a roost site on the Lambton Estate.

They used to do a wine called Sandpiper, went down rather well! Sainsbury's do a Pickled Partridge amongst others but don't get me started, it reminds me too much of work ;)

Goosander, Reed Bunting, Willow Tit, Shelduck, Pochard & Pink-footed Geese seen on the local patch (W'ton/Ch-le-St) today.
Couple of rubbish pictures;

Hey Neil, i like both them shots of the drake Goosander ;)

Reecently read about a new one the Famous Grouse people are bringing out "Black Grouse" Enjoy !

Whilst cruising the streets of Rickleton this morning (looking for Waxwing I hasten to add!) what must have been 400+ Woodpigeons went over North, presumably leaving a roost site on the Lambton Estate.
Im pleased you added the bit in brackets.... wonder if there are many other flightlines out of Lambton Estate in morning ?

Called in at Brasside to see if anything came in to roost, best no's of duck on the pond (500) for years, with 18Goldeneye & 22+Goosander coming in off the river to roost as the light went.

The redpoll plague continues at Rainton Meadows ;)

Last edited:
Denbee, was that you then sat in the hide with me when the cormorants were in the tree. Nice to meet you mate wish I had stayed and seen the Owl Just posted the other day that I wanted to see one and appear to have missed out again.

Yes Russ I was with my daughter, it's a shame that you missed the show. It was a the longest period I have actually been able to observe BO, as usually it is just a fleeting view as it flys over a hedgerow.
I also think we may have met briefly down at Cowpen Bewley CP approx a week gone Friday on my way to a Teesmouth club visit to Seal Sands Penisula. I left you in the capable hands of Ian F to show you round the area.

Here's a link to the Black Grouse Whisky as its for a good cause, our local rather small Sainsburys dosen't stock it :-C

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3343172/Black-grouse-whisky-to-raise-RSPB-money.html

Have a good Christmas all

Stewart

Thanks for link Stewart.
Read about it in recent North Pennines News.........
as if we need an excuseB :)

Yes, while we're on about Whiskey & Xmas i'll also say "Merry Christmas" to the massed ranks & legions of Local Patch birders in Co.Durham (NB: this excludes photographers, stringers, trespassers & Robin-strokers except Derek.C)

ATB to all Wild Bird Enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Sorry benbee your right we did briefly meet at Cowpen Bewley. I forgot coz I was so excited to meet Ian F Photo/God ha ha. Not forget you next time mate

"Merry Christmas" to the massed ranks & legions of Local Patch birders in Co.Durham (NB: this excludes photographers, stringers, trespassers & Robin-strokers except Derek.C)

ATB to all Wild Bird Enthusiasts.
That's you wiped straight off my Xmas Card List ;) ;)

Washington WWT today:

Plenty bird life at the Hawthorn Hide, Blue, great, coal, willow and LT Tits, chaffinch, nuthatch, dunnock, robin, bulfinch, GS woodpecker and 8 pheasants on the ground below the feeders.

LTT, blue tits, bulfinch, robin and magpie by the riverside with 2 grey heron and mallards on the river.

More mallards, redshank, teal and 3 shell duck on the wader pond.

Attachments

• _MG_8855.jpg
    _MG_8855.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 43
  • _MG_8875.jpg
    _MG_8875.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_8914.jpg
    _MG_8914.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_8935.jpg
    _MG_8935.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_8879.jpg
    _MG_8879.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 44
Well went to Lower Barns again for a few hours mainly to try and see the Barn Owl as spotted by Denbee Yesterday. No chance at 3pm 3 men turned up and decided to round up 4 horses by running round the field where said Barn Owl was seen. As a result I packed it all in and went home. Did manage to see, Blue, Great AND Long Tailed, TITS. Tree Creeper, Nuthatch, Blackbird, Usual Swans and Mallards, No Cormorants that I saw and no sign of the Kingfisher.

Attachments

• _MG_3578.jpg
    _MG_3578.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_3592.jpg
    _MG_3592.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 40
  • _MG_3596.jpg
    _MG_3596.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Much the same as usual at Cowpen Bewley WP this morning. Nothing of particular note on the main pond. Best sightings - Goldeneye x3 and an increase in Shoveler again to 15-16 though most were asleep along the west edge. Lots of gulls but every one of them BH Gull.

Feeding station - Tree Sparrow c.30, Treecreeper, Long-tailed Tit c.20, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer etc.

Greenabella Marsh this afternoon - SEO x2, Kestrel x1, Little Egret x2, Heron x2, RB Merganser x6, BkT Godwit x4, Teal c.50, Shelduck x2, Kingfisher x1, Twite c.40.

RSPB Saltholme blog updated today as well - Saltholme Blog - sounds like it's still on course for the long awaited opening late January.

Photos : 1. Blue Tit - 2. Treecreeper - 3. Tree Sparrow - 4. & 5. Twite

Attachments

• IMG_9979bo.JPG
    IMG_9979bo.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0535ao.JPG
    IMG_0535ao.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0562ao.JPG
    IMG_0562ao.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0717ao.JPG
    IMG_0717ao.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0739ao.JPG
    IMG_0739ao.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 56
Hawthorn Dene for just after sunrise with the little un, no deer seen, but a perfect bright winters morning with 10+GSW inc 2 drumming, Yaffle on call only, 10+Marsh Tit, 6each of Nuthatch & Treecreeper.
Heard a racket just off the path (no, it wasnt a game of tennis) :-O a naked eye Tawny Owl being mobbed by multiple species in a Yew tree within a Hawthorn copse, good views & it didnt spook. Bairn thought it had followed us from Brasside! - where we had a flypast yestday teatime. 800Wood Pigeon on stubble nr the village, 10Yellowhammer.

The apprentice insisted we tackle the suicide steps :eek!:down to Hawthorn Hive
between beach combining & hoyying rocks in the sea, 1Rock Pipit (1st i can remember seeing here), 12 Oystercatcher, nil OTS, 1Peregrine south offshore.

Ten mins to kill before dinner was ready & a kick about in the street produced flyover Grey Wagtail & what looked like 2 Bewicks Swans heading to RM.....

After a fruitful afternoon nr home, with Green Sand, Kingfisher, Jack Snipe Long-eared & Little Owls and a whopping o:D10Woodcock i headed over RM's for the last hour of the day....hoping to see if what may have been 2 Bewicks had headed that way....

At Feeding Station at 15:15, 2-3 Water Rail's calling on approaching Pool2 , very fortunate to see a Jack Snipe fly in over Pool1, :smoke:from north at 15:32, just dipping over the top of the pool2 Phragmites.

A slightly disappointing scene looking at main pool... certainly no wild swans, but some "Ninny" with a camera crouched down at the waters edge throwing bread, seemingly trying to get a photograph of the swans from a low angle with setting sun behind them.....:-C

Fortunately at the same time a Kingfisher flew through & i tried to forget about the Ninny with the camera & made a bee-line for the undisturbed Pool4 - best part of 30 very poor minutes with only a Sprrowhawk, 2Partridge, distant calling Little Owl & a Water Rail flew low over into the near side south corner.

A very nice day.....almost perfect...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back