• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bag Hides? (1 Viewer)

AlexWinser

Are they any good or should I be looking at getting a pop-up hide instead?

Some people rate them, others I have read have said they are not good as every move you make is visible.

I have ordered one from WildlifeWatchingSupplies.co.uk but could cancel in favour of something else. Looking to bird on a budget at the moment.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Alex

I've used the Wildlife Watching Supplies bag hides for a couple of years now and always have the 'summer' weight one with me. I find it invaluable in the field. Typical example of its use would be to disguise my scary 'human' shape when sat trying to photograph ducks on the side of a lake or to cover the window of a reserve hide. I use a 600mmm lens and always have it on a tripod so I prefer the non-waterproof, lighter weight one as you can see through the weave and anticipate where the birds are. The only downside of the lighter one is that it can flap a little in the wind. The heavier, waterproof one does not flap much as it is made of stiffer poly-cotton and you cannot see through it readily. It's warmer in winter and too hot in summer. Both can be used as a poncho when stalking birds as well. Camo clothing does not make much difference to birds,it is movement and the shape of a human that scares them. The bag hide sorts this.
Combine the bag hide with a Walkstool and you have a light, portable hide system.
I have a Jamie Wood hide canvas hide that is permenantly set up in the garden as well as a number of bushcraft type hides in various places. For these I use brushwood and army camouflage scrim which is cheap and not easily trashed by local lowlife. The modern dome hides are quick to set up but rattle awfully in the wind.

If I was starting bird photography again, the first hide I would buy would be a bag one in
advantage timber camo.

Thanks Den, just the sort of info I was after.

I will let the order run and see how I get on with the bag hide before spending much more. I ordered the heavier one as the lighter one did not come in the Advantage Timber pattern that you mentioned and I preferred that pattern.

I might try and build a hide or two in the woods near my parents and set up a feeding area too.

Thanks again.

Alex

I've used the Wildlife Watching Supplies bag hides for a couple of years now and always have the 'summer' weight one with me. I find it invaluable in the field. Typical example of its use would be to disguise my scary 'human' shape when sat trying to photograph ducks on the side of a lake or to cover the window of a reserve hide. I use a 600mmm lens and always have it on a tripod so I prefer the non-waterproof, lighter weight one as you can see through the weave and anticipate where the birds are. The only downside of the lighter one is that it can flap a little in the wind. The heavier, waterproof one does not flap much as it is made of stiffer poly-cotton and you cannot see through it readily. It's warmer in winter and too hot in summer. Both can be used as a poncho when stalking birds as well. Camo clothing does not make much difference to birds,it is movement and the shape of a human that scares them. The bag hide sorts this.
Combine the bag hide with a Walkstool and you have a light, portable hide system.
I have a Jamie Wood hide canvas hide that is permenantly set up in the garden as well as a number of bushcraft type hides in various places. For these I use brushwood and army camouflage scrim which is cheap and not easily trashed by local lowlife. The modern dome hides are quick to set up but rattle awfully in the wind.

If I was starting bird photography again, the first hide I would buy would be a bag one in
advantage timber camo.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back