• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 8x20 BCA - do yours rattle? (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

Hi all,

I recently bought a pair of these wee binoculars, which are the dog's back wheels - great for carrying around in a pocket on days when I wouldn't carry my birding kit.

The optical quality and performance are wonderful, but I've become aware of a rattle, as if something inside is loose. Yesterday I was in an optics shop and tried shaking a new pair which also rattled. That partially reassured me, but I wonder if anyone else could confirm that it's a 'design feature' rather than a problem?

Thanks,

Al

I just shook mine... yes they do rattle, its the eye cups I think...no its not... I braced them and still got a rattle. I had them to hand since I carry them always!

Mine are just BC's btw, so the rattle isn't part of the armouring!

Right I will now stop shaking them violently in case I loosten something inside ;)

It took Leitz engineers five years to get that rattle just so. It's a very refined sound, didn't you know?

IanF said:
If it's any consolation, I have the 10x25 BC's and they rattle too!
Well! What is rattling? Eye-cups, straps or is it mechanical!

Don't think, I'll buy a pair until the matter is cleared up. ;)

CB

I can brace the whole thing...cups, strap etc and there is still a rattle.... I'm hoping it not the prisms.... they are not very good as percussional musical instruments however... I prefer maracas!

They are still pin sharp though. From now on I shall use them exclusively as bins!

I have had mine since new and they have always been like that. It's something inside the eyecup end that rattles, but as the optics are very sharp indeed and they work just fine, I have never been concerned about the noise, which you only hear when you shake them anyway.

It could be a 'stop-down baffle' (can't think of the correct term - ring? To sharpen the image by reducing the effective aperture slightly?

Andy, guessing wildly :)

satrow said:
'stop-down baffle'

Diaphragm, maybe? Can't think why anyone would want to reduce the brightness of their bins though...

I've just been in the shop I bought my pair from, and the staff took every pair they had out of the boxes, and they all rattled! Mystery.

I know it's a bit lame, but I've just emailed Leica to see if they can explain.

Al

Blimey! Fast response from Leica! He says:

"The rattle inside the binocular is part of the focusing tube and is nothing to worry about."

Whatever that means...

Al

"The rattle inside the binocular is part of the focusing tube and is nothing to worry about."
Whatever that means...
I bet it means - "there is nothing to worry about" ;-)
Seriously though, obviously Leica know about it, and they are not worried, so just enjoy your very nice optics!

Roger

rogerscoth said:
I bet it means - "there is nothing to worry about" ;-)
Seriously though, obviously Leica know about it, and they are not worried, so just enjoy your very nice optics!

Roger

That is probably the best you can do. I've had a pair of 8x20 for years and never noticed any noises. But then, I don't shake them on purpose either. These handy binoculars are always in my jacket, so they are prone to get an unintentional beating now and then.

I noticed that they keep selling them at a discount in many places these days. That is usually a sign of a new model coming out. I don't actually see any urgent need though. Except for maybe a bit more close-focussing and full waterproofing. Anyway, don't hold your breath, maybe it's really just regular promotion.

I have had a pair of 8x20 BCAs for several years and until I read this post was blissfully unaware of the rattle. I went out to my pickup to check and sure enough, they did rattle when I shook them. I keep them in my vehicle so they are always at hand if something needs looking at. I have been so pleased with them that I recently (after much research and comparison shopping) bought a new 8x42 ultravid BR binocular. As much as I love my 8x20s, they sure seem a bit dim after looking through the Ultravids (which by the way do not rattle when shaken).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back