• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equipment for filming birds (1 Viewer)

jbetz

I feel a bit out of place since my thread doesn't start with NEW VIDEO, but I hope that's okay |:$|. With so many videos up on this site, I am wondering if the videographers could post what they use to film birds and give suggestions about equipment for others.

It would be helpful to know about camera type, quality settings (HD/SD), accessories used (eg. teleconverters), etc.

Hi Jon,
I use a Canon XL2 video camera with and adaptor so i can use my SLR lenses (its broke at the moment but great piece of kit) I am thinking of getting an SLR with HD video like the 5d mk2 after seeing Romy and Harolds videos i'm very impressed.
Are you intending buying a video camera? if so what is your budget? maybe someone can recomend other cameras etc
Cheers
Brian

I am interested in purchasing a camera, although I might wait for the second generation of DSLRs with HD video capability. For wildlife cinematography, I have one major requirement: interchangeable lenses. Because of this, I am currently looking at the 5d mk2 and awaiting the Red Scarlet. Although the price of the brain for the 2/3" Scarlet with interchangeable lenses is expected to be only $2500, I expect that the required accessories (not including lenses) will put the working camera at a much higher price point (maybe upwards of $10,000, considering RED's current prices for Red One accessories). The Canon 5D Mark 2 seems like a great alternative (especially with the new firmware update), but I am disappointed that it does not offer 24fps recording.

I am curious how you edit 5d2 footage. Specifically, I would really like to know whether footage can be taken right off the card and edited using software like Final Cut Pro. Is any conversion required (for instance, to convert 30fps to 29.97fps)?

Also, is LCD-only monitoring (no optical viewfinder during video mode) limiting in the field?

I am interested in purchasing a camera, although I might wait for the second generation of DSLRs with HD video capability. For wildlife cinematography, I have one major requirement: interchangeable lenses. Because of this, I am currently looking at the 5d mk2 and awaiting the Red Scarlet. Although the price of the brain for the 2/3" Scarlet with interchangeable lenses is expected to be only $2500, I expect that the required accessories (not including lenses) will put the working camera at a much higher price point (maybe upwards of $10,000, considering RED's current prices for Red One accessories). The Canon 5D Mark 2 seems like a great alternative (especially with the new firmware update), but I am disappointed that it does not offer 24fps recording.

I am curious how you edit 5d2 footage. Specifically, I would really like to know whether footage can be taken right off the card and edited using software like Final Cut Pro. Is any conversion required (for instance, to convert 30fps to 29.97fps)?

Also, is LCD-only monitoring (no optical viewfinder during video mode) limiting in the field?

I do all my edits in Premiere and I don't convert to an intermediate format nor use proxy files, as I find such time-consuming. The 1080 footage from the camera sputters a bit in Premiere CS3, hence I preview first in ZoomBrowser or VLC (where the footage runs smoothly) if I need to establish critical cutting points. I'm running XP on Q6600 (4 GB RAM) BTW.

For more technical discussion on processing 5D2 movie files, I find the following forums very helpful:

http://www.cinema5d.com/index.php

http://dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=166

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos-5d-mk-ii-hd/

For my wild bird filming, I find the camera LCD display good enough in monitoring focus (via 10x zoom before recording) and framing.

Thanks for all the info and links Romy. Very helpful. Now that things have begun to change in the market, I am considering new combinations of cameras. Here's what I'm considering:

1. Canon XL2
2. Canon 7D
3. Canon XHA1 with teleconverter

Anyone have thoughts? I am interested in creating a better showreel to sell myself as an aspiring professional wildlife filmmaker, and so I am also interested if anyone has thoughts about the HD vs SD issue.

Hi,

Sorry to enter the thread so late but I hope this helps.

Firstly, I note from your shortlist of camera that you have a mix of SD and HD equipment. I think you need to decide which you plan to go for. I went for HD - there are advantages and disadvantages of this approach. The advantage is that, done properly, the footage is really nice and HD itself is future proof. The disadvantage is that HD videography is (more) unforgiving of errors and inferior quality optics. For example, a slight focussing error will be more evident on an HD movie (because the rest of your movie will be pin sharp); also, not all lenses are of a quality which will make the best of HD.

There is no doubt that the 5D mk2 and 7D are excellent cameras. I am thinking of buying a 7D as a backup to my main camera (see later) but I see some early adopters have been stung by overheat warnings on this camera (see http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/458260-overheating-warning-icon-mild-temperatures.html). But these cameras are not a substitute for a purpose built HD camera - the way the controls are laid out, unlimited capture (providing you have enough tape), XLR audio inputs, focus and zoom presets and many other factors mean that SLRs still have a way to go, although there is no doubt the technologies are converging.

So, I would advise going for a dedicated HD camcorder, e.g. Canon XL-H1A and consider using a 7D or 5D Mk 2 as a second camera. You can use interchangeable lenses on both although the 20 x zoom on the XL-H1A is excellent in its own right. But it's nice to have one canera set up for wide (scene setting) shots and one for the birds. There is some rumour that Canon may bring out a successor to the XL-H1 series but I don't know much about this.

Regarding accessories, the number one priority is to buy a decent tripod and head. Most still camera heads are no use. You will need a fluid head for smooth pans and tilts. Expect to pay minimum $1000 for this - there is no point having shaky video on an expensive camera. Also, if you go for the XL-2 or XL-H1A you will need the Canon EF lens adapter (approx $380). You may want to consider buying a shotgun microphone and wind shield. I have gone for the Sennheiser ME66 / K6 combination with Sennheiser foam windshield and a Rycote windsock to prevent wind noise ($600 approx).

For editing I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 4 (since replaced by 7) which seems fine for my purposes, but I'm considering upgrading to Adobe Premiere CS3 (which is several hundred dollars more expensive).

Hope this helps,

Neil

The 1080 footage from the camera sputters a bit in Premiere CS3, hence I preview first in ZoomBrowser or VLC (where the footage runs smoothly) if I need to establish critical cutting points. I'm running XP on Q6600 (4 GB RAM) BTW.

Hi Romy,

I've just got a 7D and I'm finding the stuttering with Premiere is very annoying. Would converting from mov to another format help? Is there a downside to converting before editing?

At the moment I've changed from Full HD @ 25 fps to HD @ 50 fps. Most of the videos (all?) will be viewed on computers, so I'm assuming that the smaller format won't make much of a difference? It certainly reduces the stutter in Premiere.

Hi Romy,

I've just got a 7D and I'm finding the stuttering with Premiere is very annoying. Would converting from mov to another format help? Is there a downside to converting before editing?

At the moment I've changed from Full HD @ 25 fps to HD @ 50 fps. Most of the videos (all?) will be viewed on computers, so I'm assuming that the smaller format won't make much of a difference? It certainly reduces the stutter in Premiere.

I'm not very familiar with format conversions, but here's a forum where this is discussed in detail:

http://www.cinema5d.com/viewforum.php?f=29

I'd probably always shoot in 1080p, unless I need a faster fps (60 or 50) for slomo applications. This is to future-proof my footage (particularly those of rarities) better. Shooting 1080p also allows you the flexibility of cropping to 720p to improve composition. You can easily downres a 1080p footage to 720p for smooth editing.

Neill has given some good advice as has Romy. To add to the mix, I don't shoot video with a DSLR although all my Nikon cameras can do this. I do however use all my nikon telephotos on my Sony Z7 camcorders. I record footage to 64gb CF cards. I find keeping one system free from the other benificial but I understand that on a budget you have to compromise. The advice about a decent head can't be emphasized enough and I can almost bet that once a cheap head is purcahsed you will soon be looking for an upgrade.
Cheers,
John

My question is about a stereo Microphone I found one on ebay a Sony ECM-CS10 Stereo Microphone 3.5 mm would this be adequate for the 7d.

I'm not sure if a clip-on is really the sort of mike you want, unless it's to record your commentary while you're shooting. I decided that the Rode Videomic was the best, relatively cheap, option.

Panasonic GH1

I've just got a week or so of use with the Panasonic's micro four thirds GH1 (a "half-frame" camera) with HD movie mode and have no experience in taking videos of birds at this time.

Posting as this camera is sometimes discussed/compared to the above mentioned cameras and it may provide an alternative choice for those wanting a smaller interchangeable lens camera with HD capabilities. Although, it is not in the same category as the above mentioned DSLRs'.

The GH1 comes with a 14-140 OIS lens, equivalent to 28-280. The 14-140 lens aperture and focusing control are optimized for video. The camera has a built in stereo mike and a sub mini stereo mike input.

Panasonic currently offers for their micro four thirds lens a 45-200 OIS lens and supposedly in early 2010 a 100 to 300 mm lens. Plus shorter focal length lenses are currently offered. Only the 13-140 is optimized for video. I'm very interested in the 100-300 lens for birding as it will provide the equivalent of 600 mm at the long end in a reasonably compact lens.

The GH1 is currently only offered with the 14-140 lens and the cost for current going price for the kit is $1499.

Thanks Frank, Have you used it on your 7d yet, and whats its physical size, how does it plug in ?

I've used it once and it seems to be quite good at getting rid of the IS noise from my lenses. It was also quite good at ignoring the wind noise, and it was quite a windy day. The only doubt I have is that it seems quite fragile - I won't just be chucking it in the bag without putting it in its box first.

It's got a 3.5mm plug what goes directly into the 7D. As for size - here it is attached to my 50D body.

Attachments

• Rode.JPG
    Rode.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 269
Thanks for all the great comments and advice. I am starting to realize that in order to build a suitable HD kit I will need way more than the $3000 or $4000 I was hoping to spend.

Frank, Terry, and Romy, do you see rolling shutter problems ("jellocam") when using the 5D/7D to film birdflight?

Well I am just not experience enough to understand what it means, let alone look at a clip and say there's rolling shutter problems ("jellocam"), I did goggle it and found a clip they say had rolling shutter problems ("jellocam") in it, it seemed fine to me, I suppose if you want to do video properly you need a dedicated piece of equipment and a 5d or 7d is not that, but for my usage its great just another avenue to go down with photography, it will not make me think I want to do camcorder video and spend like you said $3k to $4k or more on equipment.

Not sure if this link will work but it's one of my few efforts with the D300s.
http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q212/Rioja_1/?action=view&current=MrWoodpecker.flv

I am a relative novice at photography so video is a complete mystery. However, having established how to convert the film clips into something useable, just for a bit of fun I had to try the title bit too !
The D300s allows you to choose your start and finish point of the movie clip but thats it.It's recommended that an external microphone is used but I shan't bother with one.
It's probably best with the sound turned off rather than all the other noise that gets picked up ( including heavy breathing as you strain to make a level pan !).
I think the picture quality is pretty good but I'm more likely to make small clips of panoramic holiday scenes than anything else.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back