• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation Please - Dark Arches, UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisLuv

Improving Birder
Sorry about the picture quality. This is the first moth I've trapped, I potted it last night after finding it at the porch light. Looking in my guide I think its a Dark Arches, but I need an expert opinion please as it looks like a lot of things.

Any tips on photography too, its wing tips were fluttering a lot and it was hard to get the shutter fast enough. Perhaps it wasn't settled enough? I did have some trouble getting it off the egg box and had to tap it a few times onto a leaf. I got a few photos, of which this is the best, before it fluttered off into the bottom of a nearby plant and I didn't want to disturb it again.

Many thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• P1120903.JPG
    P1120903.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 72
When the wings shiver it is generating energy to fly. Warming the muscles up basically.
If you can catch it in a small pot or jar, then you can pop it in a fridge overnight, which will slow it down. Photograph it in the morning, and then release it at dusk.

I think it's a Dark Arches too, but I am a rank beginner.

Jonathan

Sorry about the picture quality. This is the first moth I've trapped, I potted it last night after finding it at the porch light. Looking in my guide I think its a Dark Arches, but I need an expert opinion please as it looks like a lot of things.

Any tips on photography too, its wing tips were fluttering a lot and it was hard to get the shutter fast enough. Perhaps it wasn't settled enough? I did have some trouble getting it off the egg box and had to tap it a few times onto a leaf. I got a few photos, of which this is the best, before it fluttered off into the bottom of a nearby plant and I didn't want to disturb it again.

Many thanks,
Chris

You had an egg box by the porch light??
It's always worth taking a pic of the moth on the egg box before disturbing it, especially if it is primarily for ID purposes.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back