Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 29th March 2017, 18:14   #1
FrankD

Kowa's new 50 mm scope

Just saw a facebook ad for Kowa's new 50 mm spotting scope.

Pic below......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kowa50.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	620398  
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Wednesday 29th March 2017, 19:08   #2
Vespobuteo

Another small Kowa scope? Doesn't look like the Prominar version that there were rumors about last year?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=332053
http://www.binomania.it/immagini-dal...gallery/page/2
Old Thursday 30th March 2017, 15:48   #3
FrankD

It does appear so based on the pics, doesn't it. So the question now is whether Kowa is going to be offering two different 50 mm scopes in two different price brackets or if the newest one is the one they are actually going with.
Old Thursday 30th March 2017, 19:57   #4
mayoayo

I think both models were actually presented at the same time..this 50mm is a standard glass and the prominar model is (or supossed to be) a 55 mm...http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3459625.
There is some information in this thread,..but strangely the images that were on the binomania link,are not there anymore...I am watching this series..."the leftovers"..could this be a similar situation..vanishing models?...

Last edited by mayoayo : Thursday 30th March 2017 at 20:06.
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 16:13   #5
HeadWest

Possibly a silly question, but I'll ask anyway! Is it likely/possible that the 25-60x zoom eyepiece for the 770/880 series would work with this smaller scope?
Old Tuesday 2nd May 2017, 17:44   #6
tlb

Kowa TSN-553

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Possibly a silly question, but I'll ask anyway! Is it likely/possible that the 25-60x zoom eyepiece for the 770/880 series would work with this smaller scope?
I believe I read that the 553/554 eyepieces are integral (non-removable).

Regards,

Tony
Old Monday 5th June 2017, 21:55   #7
Hermann

http://kowasnextbigthing.com/world.html

Hermann
Old Tuesday 6th June 2017, 12:34   #8
FrankD

Totes adorbs.....

:-)

Maybe I will get to handle one in August or September. Assuming they are debuting at Birdfair?
Old Tuesday 6th June 2017, 18:16   #9
jring

Hi,

the image of the 553 on the next big thing websites looks a lot like it has the current small body zoom TE-9Z... the one in the 501 looks unfamiliar...

Joachim
Old Monday 12th June 2017, 09:58   #10
mayoayo

mmmm..I dont know Joachim...look closely to the groove line in the mount...I see a release button there..and a broken line that doesnt look like anything i have seen in kowa eyepieces...the use of the 88 series eyepieces would have been a good choice for a new,high end model...maybe has multi model mount with an included adapter!
Old Monday 12th June 2017, 12:44   #11
jring

Hi mayoayo,

not quite sure what you mean with the release button... but I found another picture of a 553 from an arms fair - this shows quite clearly that it is a small body zoom because it's labelled 60x. The 553 with zoom only goes to 45x.

https://seekoutside.com/blog/shot-show-highlights/

Joachim
Old Monday 12th June 2017, 13:36   #12
mayoayo

I see now....Well..That is dissapointing..That zoom is just dated for today standards...The Opticron zooms fit small body via an external thread ,right?
since this model doesnt show that feature ,that would not be an option..im only guessing
Old Tuesday 13th June 2017, 09:47   #13
jring

Hi,

yes, there is an M41x0.75 male thread around the bayonet of the small body Kowas to attach accessories like the digiscoping adapters. On some bodies this is hidden with a screw-on ring by default. So maybe it is there on the 553 too - but it has to be tested if the Opticron EPs fit physically and come to focus.

Joachim
Old Thursday 29th June 2017, 17:59   #14
SEOW

http://www.brandonoptics.com/Kowa-TS...y-_p_2451.html

Specs. Disappointingly small field of view for the zoom, and this says it’s non-removable. :-(
Old Thursday 29th June 2017, 23:28   #15
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOW View Post
http://www.brandonoptics.com/Kowa-TS...y-_p_2451.html

Specs. Disappointingly small field of view for the zoom, and this says it’s non-removable. :-(
Wow, so they obviously bolted the small body zoom on to the 553 body with those grub screws seen in the bayonet... otherwise it's quite sure the same old zoom, even the narrow afov of 38-60 deg is still there...

And the pricing is interesting to say the least... this thing costs more than an 883 body in the same store - are they serious?

Ok, I think, I'll pass... the new 501/2 look actually interesting... half the weight of the 553, 20-40 zoom (fixed too) and quite affordable...

Joachim
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 12:39   #16
Vespobuteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jring View Post
Wow, so they obviously bolted the small body zoom on to the 553 body with those grub screws seen in the bayonet... otherwise it's quite sure the same old zoom, even the narrow afov of 38-60 deg is still there...

And the pricing is interesting to say the least... this thing costs more than an 883 body in the same store - are they serious?

Ok, I think, I'll pass... the new 501/2 look actually interesting... half the weight of the 553, 20-40 zoom (fixed too) and quite affordable...

Joachim
I suspected a high price on the 553, perhaps 1000€ or so, but that looks ridiculously high.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 17:07   #17
Ratal

Kowa: Hey marketting types? We need to outdo Opticron's stupidity of a non-sealed travel scope. What you got?

How about a £1800 55mm scope? With a fixed eye piece?

Kowa: Make it so.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 17:41   #18
mayoayo

I expect the scope to be expensive too. Maybe not that high priced though. Pre-release prices and news about these products,until made official, are speculation really.The specifications are not clear. The fixed zoom ,wrongly marked 20-60X on top of that, would be such a poor choice for such high specs scope,with the fluorite crystal and all..Why go to all the hassle and push the quality of the objective to the top just to limit its performance and appeal with an old zoom ,and fixed ?..just when they released(relatively recent anyway) a wide zoom and a barlow?..I think the whole scope must be on the drawing board still, or perhaps testing the market, because I am sure original prototypes were shown with 88 type eyepieces...
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 18:32   #19
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
...I am sure original prototypes were shown with 88 type eyepieces...
I thought that too, but look at this photo from Binomania's coverage of Photokina last year. The price looks like a typo. The cost of fabricating a 50mm Fluorite objective can't be even $200 more than a 50mm ED objective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photokina_Kowa_Stand©Robert_Wilton_006.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	632203  
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 01:03   #20
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com

Time to end the speculation. The TSN-500 and -550 scopes are now official. Yes, the eyepieces are not interchangeable. At $349, the TSN-500s might be good to stick in your glove box. The TSN-550s' claim to fame, and the reason for the $1799 price, is pure fluorite crystal objective lenses, 9.8' close focus, FOV at 132' at 1000 yards at 15x. All four scopes are waterproof and nitrogen purged.

The one con is that none of these scopes have rotating tripod mounts, which would have helped with window mounts.

Our review models should arrive by the end of next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. I'll report once we've had a bit of time with them.

All four are now live on the Optics4Birding website so those of you who have to be first can begin placing your pre-orders. The official release will be at Birdfair, and product will begin shipping at that time.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 03:19   #21
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O4B View Post
...The TSN-550s' claim to fame, and the reason for the $1799 price, is pure fluorite crystal objective lenses...
Fluorite can't possibly justify an $1800 price tag for such a small scope. A few years ago I did a little research on how much more Fluorite costs than the usual ED types found in scopes. See the post below:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...55&postcount=2
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 04:22   #22
etudiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
Fluorite can't possibly justify an $1800 price tag for such a small scope. A few years ago I did a little research on how much more Fluorite costs than the usual ED types found in scopes. See the post below:

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.ph...55&postcount=2

There is surely good potential demand for a top quality small scope, but the pricing Kowa proposes seems hard to justify.

The Celestron Hummingbird 9-27x56 MicroED presumably uses ED glass.
It also sports a less than 10' close focus and sells for $359 at Optics4Birding.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 09:40   #23
jring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O4B View Post
FOV at 132' at 1000 yards at 15x.
Resulting in a 2.5 deg true field or a whopping 38 deg apparent field of view aka soda straw :-(

With the big body zoom this thing would have 15-37x magnification and 4 deg or 210'/1000y at 15x or 60 deg afov and even more afov at higher mags.

Regarding price the question remains, if fluorite is really necessary for such a small aperture instrument to be reasonably colour free.
Yes, it's fairly fast at f5.5 but on the other hand it's only 55mm aperture...

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Tuesday 4th July 2017 at 12:52. Reason: physics reality check: corrected aperture - thx Binastro
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 11:09   #24
Binastro

Hi.
I also saw the narrow field.
But a 55m aperture isn't bad. (:
Bigger than the OWL telescope.

Maybe they break a lot of the crystal elements, so they charge for the broken ones.
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 20:05   #25
Steve O4B
VP of Sales, Optics4Birding.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
There is surely good potential demand for a top quality small scope, but the pricing Kowa proposes seems hard to justify.

The Celestron Hummingbird 9-27x56 MicroED presumably uses ED glass.
It also sports a less than 10' close focus and sells for $359 at Optics4Birding.
All ED glass is not created equal. There are many different versions of ED glass. many of the lower cost optics with ED glass don't have fluoride in any of its several versions. Compare a Nikon Monarch 5 with a Zeiss Victory SF. That said, the Kowa TSN-550 series scopes don't have ED glass. They have pure fluorite crystal objectives. This is not glass that is melted into blanks and then ground, it is crystal that is grown, then ground. The Celestron Hummingbird ED is at the low end of ED glass. The Kowa TSN-553/554 are at the extreme top. You're comparing Yugos with Ferraris
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: